Profile for Gabriel De Bourg > Reviews

Content by Gabriel De Bourg

Gabriel De Bourg (Stockholm, Sweden)

From Russia With Love [Blu-ray] [1963]
From Russia With Love [Blu-ray] [1963]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bond film in HD., 8 Jun. 2010
From Russia With Love is my favorite of all the Bond films. While I could delve into explaining that I will mostly focus on this Blu-Ray edition.

I own most of the Bond, single disc DVD edition. As such I made a side-by-side comparison between them. The difference is huge. To start with the picture is clearer, with a crisp definition and lively colour. Overall it feels more alive and natural. The sound is also improved, especially the music has a larger dynamic range.

The extras are the same, but as I mentioned in my review of Dr. No I don't wish anything more. They are of such high standard that it doesn't matter to me. This is also the only one where Connery makes and appearance in there.

Overall it is a great step-up from the DVD when it comes to audio/visuals and as such I highly recommend to every Bond-fan!

Dr. No [Blu-ray] [1962]
Dr. No [Blu-ray] [1962]
Dvd ~ Sean Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars The first Bond, better than ever!, 8 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Dr. No [Blu-ray] [1962] (Blu-ray)
Dr. No was the start of the mega-franchise that would become James Bond. While the film is good, I actually prefer the book. But for this review I will focus mostly on this Blu-Ray edition.

First I actually own this one on DVD (single disc version) and I did a side-by-side comparison and what a huge improvement the Blu-Ray edition was. The picture was crispy and full of life, while the DVD looked rather muddy. It is also nice to have it presented in the original ratio of 1.66:1 rather than having it in 1.78:1. While picture did have a bit of grain, it was very natural and given for a film like this. The sound of the dialogue was lacking, but that was more because of the source material, rather than the restoration. The music however was booming out of the speakers and being very alive.

While the commentary is a bit lacking, being made from interviews it makes up for it in the documentaries. All of the ones included on set are of top-notch quality, with great interviews. I don't mind these not having been changed, as they remain as great today. As there is not much to add I don't feel that they would have needed more new material.

All in all I highly recommend stepping up with this collection!