Profile for Mr K M Faulkner > Reviews

Mr K M Faulkner

Maori and Settler A Story of The New Zealand War
Maori and Settler A Story of The New Zealand War

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting historical novel., 18 Jun 2014
As a Kiwi I found this novel interesting from a history of the early European settlers point of view. A bit sugar-coated in one way but hard hitting in another.

The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Trilogy Book 1)
The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much romance!, 18 Jun 2014
The story starts off well but it soon develops into what I would call a romantic novel based in the future, rather than a sci fi book. I have got half way through and have stopped reading because it's now all about the romance which is not what I wanted.
Otherwise, the writing style is good. If you want romance in space then this book is for you. Note, there's nothing sexually graphic, at least not up until I stopped reading it.

Starliner
Starliner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 25 May 2014
This review is from: Starliner (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading the book. A little light on the depth of characters, and the plot and sub-plots could all have been fleshed out some more; there's a lot of possibilities there.
Despite those I was never tempted to put it down because I was bored at any point. Had interesting descriptions of some of the worlds visited, but the technology was rooted in the time of writing, so seemed a little dated (e.g. the inboard staff communication requiring line of sight to function, and the starliner landing on the planets it visited, etc.).
Would recommend this book to people.

AMP Messenger
AMP Messenger

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read!!, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: AMP Messenger (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this book for Kindle a couple of weeks ago, and have just finished reading it. It is a good read, easy at all times, at no point did I think this is dragging. (I am a slow reader by the way :-))
The one suggestion I have for Stephen is to add more detail. What I mean is the story does not have a lot of detail, the bits that add interest beyond the storyline itself. Not too much so that the story gets weighed down, but more than the brief, almost functional, descriptions written here.
In saying this I know I couldn't write as well as Stephen so am envious. Keep up the good work!

Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles Book 1)
Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 25 Oct 2013
I downloaded this as a free Kindle book because I am a SciFi fan. I usually have only read books from the 'big names' in the past as i have tried a few unknowns previously that haven't been up to the standard. However Jeffrey's book was an exception as an unknown for me. The story was gripping from the beginning.

I found some parts of it a little 'forced' where dialogue seemed inappropriately emotional out of the blue. Perhaps this is because of the parts Jeffrey had taken out that would have built up to the passages better.

Apart from that small criticism the book was well worth reading. I found it difficult to put down especially towards the end. I'm glad I have found a new (to me) SciFi author I can follow.