Profile for JackieL > Reviews

DIY Couture: Create Your Own Fashion Collection
by Rosie Martin
Price: 12.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ideas, 30 Mar 2014
The book is great for showing you how to take a basic shape - a straight skirt, a tunic, trousers, a hoodie etc - and create variations on the basic template by using different fabrics, different lengths, adding trims, using different fastening methods etc etc. The photo illustrations showing the garments in all the different 'collections' are excellent and made me want to get going with sewing straight away. Don't be fooled though, just because there are no patterns, doesn't mean it's as easy as pie. Seams still need to be straight and neatened, some of the projects have zips, some have elastic or bound seams - so you need patience just as with any sewing. The instructions are good, and the visual presentation is a plus, but there are still some parts that leave you scratching your head! I've made the straight skirt and the tunic, and am very pleased with how they worked out. Looking forward to trying another project soon.

The Miracle of Colour Healing: Aura-Soma Therapy as the Mirror of the Soul
The Miracle of Colour Healing: Aura-Soma Therapy as the Mirror of the Soul
by Vicky Wall

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 25 Nov 2013
It is hard not to be impressed by Vicky Wall's story; she sounds like a very genuine woman with a true gift of healing. It is not something I profess to know much about, but the book works as a story, regardless of ones level of belief or scepticism in the subject of healing.

THE RADIUM WOMAN; a Youth Edition of the Life of Madame Curie
THE RADIUM WOMAN; a Youth Edition of the Life of Madame Curie
by Eleanor & Gibbings, Roberts (Woodcuts) Doorly

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring woman, 25 Nov 2013
I read this when I was a child, and wanted to find it again as my own daughter is almost 12 and says she 'hates science'. I hope that it will give her a different viewpoint. I loved re-reading it as much as when I read it the first time. I think it might be hard-going for a modern youth readership, but the gripping story should more than compensate for the added effort required.

How to Heal with Color (How to (Llewellyn))
How to Heal with Color (How to (Llewellyn))
by Ted Andrews
Price: 8.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 4 Mar 2013
Maybe, as another reviewer has suggested, colour healing is pseudo scientific clap trap, but if you are interested in the subject there is certainly a lot of information in this book. The book itself is not bad, but obviously you need to have a degree of tolerance for the subject matter to bother reading it in the first place. What impressed me (as someone decidedly on the fence as to the value of colour healing) was the range of this book - it includes mandalas, chakras and auras, as well as giving the author's interpretation of which colours to use to heal various conditions using hands or light etc.

Colors & Numbers: Your Personal Guide to Positive Vibrations in Daily Life
Colors & Numbers: Your Personal Guide to Positive Vibrations in Daily Life
by Louise L Hay
Price: 5.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Mar 2013
Louise Hay won my respect with her book 'You can Heal your own Life' so I suppose I was expecting something similarly amazing from this. It didn't deliver. All I could think was that the publisher was cashing in on her name by putting this out - it is insubstantial and disposable. I bought it for the colour angle, which was minimal. Maybe if you are very interested in numerology it would have more to offer, but don't bank on it.

Descant Recorder: Christmas Carols: 10 Favourite Carols Arranged with Piano Accompaniments and Playalong CD (Solo Stars)
by Jane Sebba
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It comes out every Christmas, 4 Mar 2013
Very nice book, interesting selection of tunes including a couple less familiar carols. The addition of a CD with backing tracks is good. Well presented.

Learn to Play the Recorder
Learn to Play the Recorder
by Dave Oliver
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars A good gift, 4 Mar 2013
Gave this as a present to a 10 year old child who had never picked up a recorder before and she was playing it all night long. She loved it. The book is very basic indeed though and won't suit anyone except a complete beginner. The recorder itself seemed of reasonable quality, and the whole thing was good value.

Taking Learning to Task: Creative Strategies for Teaching Adults (Higher Education)
by Jane Vella
Price: 17.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it every time you teach, 4 Mar 2013
I stumbled across Jane Vella when I was doing an adult education course in teaching (PTLLS). She wasn't on the reading list, but I picked her book off the shelf in the library and was immediately interested. I still can't understand why she isn't recommended reading on the course. I am a trainer at work and this book revolutionised how I train. I have put into practice most of what she says - in particular I use small groups within a large group, and I set action based learning objectives - and my training is hugely improved as a result. She encourages the trainer to step down from the 'expert' role and to think less about teaching and more about learning. It means you talk a lot less and listen a lot more on the day! Her message that teaching is a dialogue was news to me - but then apart from the PTLLS I have never done teacher training so perhaps this is all less radical if you have.

Working as a teacher outside an educational environment can leave you feeling rather isolated and at sea. You don't get the support of educationalists, and your only benchmark for doing well is the feedback of your trainees. But you don't want to be experimenting on them as they are giving up precious time and deserve the best training possible. This book gives practical information about how to become learner and learning focused. I return to it all the time and it stops me going back to bad habits.

Brilliant Time Management: What the Most Productive People Know, Do and Say (Brilliant Business)
by Mike Clayton
Price: 7.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth taking the time to read, 4 Mar 2013
When I first read Brilliant Time Management I was not impressed - he starts by getting you to work out your attitude to time and whether you are past/present or future oriented in general. I couldn't see the point until a few weeks later when the message began to get through. The same thing happened with other sections in the book - at first they seemed obvious or trite, but gradually the message started to hit home. Now I am reading it again and am ready to make changes to how I manage time (until now hit and miss and proud of it). I think it is easy to think that nobody can tell you anything about managing time, and to be a bit defensive. However, I was wrong, and I have learned a lot from this book. This morning I didn't just make a to do list, I timed the actions and am now going to schedule them in. Read it with an open mind and be prepared to change.

Stress-care
Stress-care
by L. McDerment

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with information and examples, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Stress-care (Paperback)
The focus of this book is stress experienced by people working in the care sector, primarily in residential settings. The examples are taken from these settings. However, much of the book contains general information about stress - what it is, what causes it - and information and advice on how to manage it better. It takes a wide view of the causes of stress - linking it firmly within institutional processes as opposed to being an individual's problem. It's main attraction is the examples it gives, which really help to illustrate the subject.

Page: 1 | 2