Profile for Ewan J. Smart > Reviews

Content by Ewan J. Smart

Ewan J. Smart (UK)

NEW 2014 TABTRONICS 9" Q9ICE Android Tablet PC - ANDROID 4.2.2 Jelly Bean - DUAL CORE CPU - 1024 x 600 HD Capacitive Touch Screen 1024 x 600 - Dual Cameras- BLUETOOTH - HDMI in WHITE

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy this piece of crap, 15 Jun. 2014
within 2 months wouldnt even boot past the tabtronics screen, i just knew i was gonna get ripped off in this tablet hysteria

HP 2229H LCD Monitor
HP 2229H LCD Monitor

2.0 out of 5 stars Free Win7 upgrade: not if they can help it! thumbs down, 28 Jan. 2010
Bought this from PC World on 01/08/09, registered for the upgrade on website and they say they will send upgrade CDROM after 22nd Oct win7 launch date. 2 months later they sent me an email asking what is my reference number and credit card number? of course 2 months later I have lost my ref number but they are uncontactable, the credit card details are for the £14.99 delivery fee (so much for free upgrade) and Id be screwed for the upgrade anyway because I dont have a credit card. I called Acer about this and the Phillipines call centre automatron say its nothing to do with them as they subcontracted the win7 upgrade out to another firm, and he also asks for my serial number from the back of the PC, I give it to him and he said 'that serial number was for a laptop manufactured in 2005' utter nonsense I just bought it new 2 months previous. The build quality is also somewhat wanting: it is 4 months old and (being one to effect my own repairs for quickness) I have had do dismatle it 3 times: the power socket by design rotates with the screen when you open and close the lid causing the power wires from the motherboard to fracture at the solder joint. The wifi card blew so I had to fit an old one that I had. I spilt a tiny amount of lemonade on the keyboard spacebar and half of the keys stopped working, had to get a 2nd hand keyboard from Hong Kong on Ebay as Acer parts direct dont have them in stock yet: 2 months later they call me to tell me its now in stock, dont know about you but I work faster than that. Most laptops are flimsy and only last 18 months: this one included. The moral of the story is: Dont accept any SPUN YARNS about offer of free future upgrade just wait until they are shipping them already upgraded. I was going to say "Dont buy Acer they are crap, but sadly all the manufacturers have poor build quality and poor customer service as standard I know this because I've bought 17 new PC's over the years since my first one in 1996. Toshiba, Dell, Acer, Packard Bell, HP, Compaq:all crap.

Acer Aspire 7735Z (17.3-inch HD LED, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200, 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB, DVD-RW, Vista Home Premium, Webcam, WiFi)

2.0 out of 5 stars Free Win7 upgrade: not if they can help it! thumbs down, 29 Dec. 2009
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2014 8:13 PM GMT

I Wish I Was Me: The Autobiography
I Wish I Was Me: The Autobiography
by Pete Waterman

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BOOK, 5 Jan. 2009
I only read factual books and only ones that i think are gonna be interesting and this is one that i had trouble putting down.

I decided years ago that I didnt like this guy but i wanted to
learn more about the music industry behind the scenes. To cut a long story short: I now admire and like this guy after reading this book. He confirmed my fears that the music game is run by money and lightweights (like local government) and confirms my theory that the best innovators are self taught street level people (people from the real world).

My general take on it is this: theres a difference between thinking you are clever and actually being clever: The establishment think they know it all but its only sublimely intelligent people like waterman who lead the way and show us whats next. There are only two types of people: drivers and passengers, waterman is one of the very few people who are drivers. If it werent for people like Pete we'd still be living in caves.

Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto
Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto
by Anneli S. Rufus

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence booster for the individuals, 31 Oct. 2008
A great book which made me feel confident about being different, apart from the part where she says I am a loser not a loner. Well I disagree, everything is not always black or white: suffice to say that I am a bit of both, cant I be both? Sure I dont have many friends because I wouldnt fit in but on the other hand theyd probably bore the hell outa me anyway so it doesnt matter, most people to me are so predictable, I always seem to be more advanced than most folks intellectually. I rarely meet other clever people. Dont get me wrong Ive got a good dose of idiot in me but you couldnt say Im not clever with any conviction LOL!!! On the cover is a white sheep, wouldnt a black sheep have been more appropriate here?

The Real Deal: My Story from Brick Lane to the Dragons' Den
The Real Deal: My Story from Brick Lane to the Dragons' Den
by James Caan

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite dragon, 22 Sept. 2008
This is my 4th dragon book and from reading it I have decided that James is my favourite dragon, there's lots of advice within to give you a head start in the business world: 'The road less travelled is paved with gold' is my favourite statement here. Its well worth the money, this guy has incredible insight. I rank Tycoon 1st, this book 2nd, Theo's 3rd and Duncan's 4th (but still very good), cant wait to read Deborah's!

Tycoon: How to turn Dreams into Millions
Tycoon: How to turn Dreams into Millions
by Peter Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A business instruction manual. Awesome Spok type logic!, 16 Aug. 2008
I am surprised to see so many bad reviews here. This book is thermonuclear! I think that the reason for all the negativity here is that people buy the book expecting some sort of autobiographical story so I can see how they think that this book lacks substance and seems fragmented. Getting a successful business together when you dont have the experience requires advice to give you a head start, that is where this book comes in. Tycoon has quantity and quality of business advice second to none. I started the book by underlining all of the points I needed to remember but gave up as its ALL worth committing to memory and there is so much of it that I will have to read it 2 or 3 times and even then I am sure I will ALWAYS keep it as a reference book. Successful business is not about stories its about logical thought processes, rules and ideas, there is no beating about the bush in this book! My favourite quotes from the book 'imagination is more important than knowledge' and 'improve your imagination just by using it more'. You dont need an MBA you just need this book. This guy is obviously a lot smarter than lots of the people commenting here, thats why they will never understand where Peter is coming from. It's lonely at the top isn't it Peter? Logical Captain.
Buying this book will be one of the wisest investments you will ever make, there is so much to learn from the advice contained within.

Enter the Dragon
Enter the Dragon
by Theo Paphitis

4.0 out of 5 stars Theo, you the man! Rags to riches at its best., 16 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Hardcover)
This book is worth buying just for the fantastic business advice contained
in the last chapter (21). It makes for easy reading, even as a slow reader I did it in 3 days as this life story is of someone very likeable and interesting from a humble background, but if like me you won't hear any talk of football or sport then you will have to skip 50 pages of tripe: chapters 17 & 18 where he chronicles the ins and outs of managing Millwall FC, YAWN!

Its the third of the Dragons Den type books that I have read and in my opinion this is ranked number two out of three. I bought all of these books to learn something about business and in this way Theo's book (2nd place) is not nearly as good as Peter Jones's Tycoon (1st place) but it is better than Duncan Bannatyne's Anyone Can Do It (3rd place, but still very good). If you can only afford one of these books then Tycoon is the best by miles especially now you can get it in paperback for about half the price I paid for my hardback a while ago.