Profile for A. King > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Kerbl Cat Tree Safari, 38 x 38 x 60 cm, Dark Brown
Kerbl Cat Tree Safari, 38 x 38 x 60 cm, Dark Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely product, not suitable for large cats, 22 Dec. 2014
This is undoubtedly an excellent product but if, like me, you're not very good at visualising dimensions then you might think it's bigger than it is.

The packaging is excellent, it's so easy to assemble and my little cat loved it; within minutes of assembly he bounced right up. However, my big cat (over 5kg) jumped up and the whole thing toppled over so, regretfully, I immediately disassembled it and had to return it.

Gray Mountain
Gray Mountain

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the rest?, 7 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Gray Mountain (Kindle Edition)
I love John Grisham and I loved this book up until the point where the pace started to slow and it felt like I was just waiting for something to escalate which it never did because the book ends before the drama begins. This is an excellent set up for some beautifully created characters but that is all. I hope it is a set up for a phenomenal follow up because otherwise this book was pointless and it would have been better to read Sycamore Row again instead (brilliant by the way).

White House Down [DVD] [2013]
White House Down [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Channing Tatum

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheesy goodness, 15 Dec. 2013
As long as you don't take this film too seriously, you will love it! It's like a mix of Independence Day and Die Hard in that there are A LOT of explosions, some crazy stunts, unlikely buddies and cheesy jokes. It's nothing new and noone is going to win any Oscars for acting or scriptwriting but it is just plain fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Consequential Moments
Consequential Moments

4.0 out of 5 stars Diverse and superb collection, 30 Jan. 2012
This is a spectacular collection of stories by a remarkably skilled writer. Her stories have wonderful characterisation, plot and pace for such short pieces. She has a very down to Earth, comfortable style which easily encompasses the reader and instantly puts us where she wants us. I look forward to the next 4 volumes with excitement!

Sarah Millican Chatterbox (Live) [DVD] [2011]
Sarah Millican Chatterbox (Live) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Sarah Millican
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Champion, 23 Jan. 2012
Sarah Millican is not just the funniest female comic around, she's right up there with the funniest of the funny comedians working today. She can certainly give Jimmy Carr, Billy Connelly etc. a run for their money. My husband and I were howling with laughter while watching this and I mean proper, full on, laugh until you cry and can't breath properly kind of laughing. Some female comics can come across as 'feminist' or a bit mean spirited but Sarah Millican is just so honest and down to Earth, she makes you feel like you're laughing with a mate rather than at a performer and she doesn't have to resort to being cruel to do it. I can watch this DVD again and again and still laugh out loud! I even had a genuine moment of crisis when I realised the day she's performing in my town is the day of a friend's wedding and I had a moment where I wondered if I could skip the wedding - that's how brilliant she is!

Harry Charters Chronicles
Harry Charters Chronicles

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Charters - you wouldn't like him when he's angry ...., 26 Dec. 2011
Not only has Graham Smith written another fist pounding, heart thumping collection of gloriously dark and twisted stories, he has also introduced us to the crime solving detective who will reinvigorate the genre. Harry's is the only type of justice on offer and it is meted out in spades, his actions will shock you before you find yourself nodding in agreement and rooting for him anyway. Each story is compelling, brilliantly paced and perfectly told so as to shock the reader over and over. My personal favourite is The Smell of Perfume, a violent, gut wrenching ride that will make you gasp in disbelief as you are dragged kicking and screaming towards an end that actually makes you want to shout out loud. I am such a huge fan of Graham Smith; he is incredibly skilled in the way he hooks his audience from the first line and can make you feel such a range of conflicting emotions in so short a space of time. I do hope a full length Harry novel is on the cards ... though I'm not 100% sure my nerves can take it ;0)

11 The Hard Way
11 The Hard Way

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting stuff, 22 Nov. 2011
This review is from: 11 The Hard Way (Kindle Edition)
I found this compilation of short stories to be an absolute treasure trove of chills and thrills. Had I not known otherwise, I would not have picked this as a 'debut' novel as the writer has an experienced way of grabbing the reader's attention from the start and engulfing them in a world full of unexpected twists and shocks. The attention to detail grounds each story in reality giving the sense that it could really happen and it could happen to you. I can honestly say that some of these stories are not just my favourites from the book but favourites from all the short stories I've read in my life. I look forward to whatever comes next.

The Affair: (Jack Reacher 16)
The Affair: (Jack Reacher 16)
by Lee Child

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Reacher novel, 10 Oct. 2011
I won't go as far as to say I was disappointed with The Affair however I do feel as though it isn't as dramatic or exciting as previous novels - particularly 61 Hours and Worth Dying For which were genuinely thrilling. The Affair is the 'back story' which explains how Reacher ended up leaving the army and wandering America and I understand that it's a story that the fans have requested and longed for, however it lacked the suspense because we know how it ends and where it's leading. In my honest opinion, I think Reacher's history could have been told in a short novella rather than as a full novel because there's just not enough story to sustain it. However, this is a book for the fans and I do love that. I still thoroughly enjoyed the book, I enjoyed exploring more of how Reacher thinks and his motivation for living the life he does and I'm glad I bought it. In comparison to the other Reacher novels which are full on action and excitement, this is a sedate read which fulfills the curiosity of the average Reacher Creature!

First Picture Action Rhymes: Sound Book (Noisy Book)
First Picture Action Rhymes: Sound Book (Noisy Book)
by Felicity Brooks

1.0 out of 5 stars Too loud!, 31 Dec. 2010
This book would be perfectly suited to a class room or nursery where you have a large space with many children however it is far too loud for a single person in the home. Even covering the speaker with a cotton wool pad, the sound is audible across a normal room. Only the first part of each song is sung and the buttons aren't as bright as other noisy books. This is fine if you are going to hold it up to a class of children but not so good for a baby to learn from. The V-Tech nursery rhymes book is a far superior buy and I would recommend that to anyone considering this book!

Baby's Very First Noisy Book (Babys Very First Books) (Baby's Very First Sound Books)
by Stella Baggott
Edition: Board book

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good first book, 31 Dec. 2010
I bought this for my 3 month old and she really enjoys playing with it. It is robust enough to withstand her bopping it and trying to chew on it and she loves the bright colours and pictures. I like that I can point to everyday things and press the button on the book so that, eventually, she will make the association. I am disappointed in the noises themselves however, I'd have preferred it if they had recorded a cat/dog/car and used the sounds in the book rather than have a person doing it but it doesn't bother my daughter who always laughs at the monkey noise. The volume is just right as well - big bonus considering most of the noisy books I have bought have been far too loud.

Page: 1 | 2