Profile for Linnaeus > Reviews

Content by Linnaeus

Linnaeus

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Secure Fix Direct 12V Port Marine Navigation Light - Boat Yacht Vessel Chandlery Volt Rib

3.0 out of 5 stars more seeing the light, 25 Dec. 2014
read my review on the green one

Secure Fix Direct 12V Starboard Marine Navigation Light - Boat Yacht Vessel Chandlery Volt Rib
Offered by SecureFixDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Seeing the light, 25 Dec. 2014
Not used yet, not the heavy duty construction I had hoped for even though these will never see a river let alone the salty sea.
I purchased these to adorn my nautically themed office decking.
I would not think they would be up to use on the sea, yes they would work ok but I cannot see them lasting any time at all.
It's a case of you do get what you pay for!

VonHaus Black Universal Tablet Mount Clamp for Music / Microphone Stand Suitable for 8.9" - 10.4" tablets + Ipad 1/2/3/4/Air

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Time you appreciated being Clamped, 25 Dec. 2014
Have not actually clamped it to a mike stand yet but I am impressed with the construction and it seems to grip my ipad well
included in the pack was an alan key, I was baffled for a while, as it does not fit anything, then It dawned on me, they make another model, which I would have purchased had I known, because it has an extra long articulated arm.
That aside there is as they say "Nowt to complain about"

Fun, Faith & Fairplay
Fun, Faith & Fairplay

4.0 out of 5 stars Catching A Falling Star, 17 Nov. 2014
I first saw these lads at Fairfield Halls in 1988, supporting Al Stewart, who was promoting his excellent “Last Days Of The Century Album”.

Whilst some of the very rude Al Stewart Fan base were propping up the bar, I was in the auditorium getting an ear bashing because they were very loud, I don’t think they quite understood the maxim “Less Is more” but nevertheless I thought at the time, as a band they showed a lot of promise.

I next saw them on a promo section of something like the UK TV Pepsi Chart show or something of that ilk and they were apparently the next big thing for 1989, after that they somewhat appeared to sink without a trace.

At The time I could not by their single “Shooting From The Heart” and definitely could not find their album anywhere, in those days shops like HMV were really naff when it came to stocking anything other than Name acts.

So here we are some 26 years later I Have at last listened to their Album! , All very much with hind sight, I have this to say.

The Verdict track 2 “Shooting from My Heart” is still for my money by far the best commercial track

Very Close second is “Brazilian Waltz” because it’s a nice balance of instruments and sounds and the lyrics cut a bit more mustard than most.

A major failing in their work I find to be this tendency to make the tracks of this album far too long and therefore a tad on the over indulgent side “Tender Skin” at 5:48 is stretching even my listening stamina.

Believe it or not I am trying very hard here to be objective, as opposed to plain, just objectionable!

For this reason I liked “What’s Bigger Than Life” and “Wicked Love” because they were more succinct and “Dream Song” came across well but, could have done more.

I have got the time for “I Haven’t Got The Time” I thought that was the better of the longer numbers.

Overall you have to buy this album for “Shooting From My Heart” alone, the rest will grow on you.

Lastly I am glad the lads are not relying on me to shoot them to stardom, if memory serves me well, at one point I think at least one of them was offering some kind of musical consultancy thing, helping artists, but may well have moved on from that.

Ok to be fair they are not lads anymore, neither am I!

The Unknown Soldier
The Unknown Soldier

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cenotaph meets The Soldier of Destiny, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Unknown Soldier (Audio CD)
Well Sadly for me, my copy turned up the following day after Armistice day, but I am still smiling! I actually got my copy from Ralph's website.
Because I did not read the sleeve notes first, it confused me that track 1 was entitled "The Lamplighter (England June 28th 1914)" as opposed to "England 1914" it's original title! any way nothing lost, like the real McCoy the rework is well worth a listen,

Track 2 "Maginot Waltz" is another rework,if you listen carefully to the original you will notice a slight pause in the dialogue which they obviously left in rather than ruin the flow, apart from a live version of it on "Songs for Six Strings 3rd G" (only available on Ralphs website) this song has appeared in several album compilations but no where else to my knowledge.
I like this revist to an old tune, it always give a fresh perspective on things, I think "Streets of London" would be a bridge to far though, Arnhem, although the wrong War, bringing us back to blighty and track 3.

"Canopus" is a new song to me, because Ralph's tour did not encompass my spiritual Hometown of Croydon, I did not get to here this song "Live" as it were, anyway I absolutely adore Kernow and it's wealth of History and this work is a "proper job" as the locals might say, I love the village of Pentewan and the Ship Inn, all good memories to me and fittingly very near to Heligan gardens who's gardeners I think all,actually died in the Great War, Ironically creating the enigma variation, such is the modern "Lost Gardens of Heligan" the "Lost" refers to the men, not the Gardens, I was unaware of this particular slice of History, good research, good story ,well done Ralph.

I perused the lyrics of the last track "The Unknown Soldier" wondering if Ralph had based any of his rendition on Jim Morrison's "The Unknown Soldier" thankfully we did not quite go down this stark road, but nevertheless a strong tale of a well known fact, to some of us at least, but whilst scanning the lines I thought, no way! no one can rhyme Ypres! instead a very wisely
spoken introduction, I think Ralph has dealt with this subject with suitable sensitive hands and in my opinion there will be many servicemen and ladies that will appreciate this rendition

Thus I thoroughly recommend it.

Lastly and very cheekily I would add that If I was Ralph's management I would have included "England" with Kernow based St Keverne Band (circa 2009)

This song really needs to find a voice.

At His Best
At His Best

5.0 out of 5 stars One For The Borders, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: At His Best (Audio CD)
This took me back I was amazed how many toons I recognised but never knew they were called that!

Faithfull Plastic Pipe Cutter
Faithfull Plastic Pipe Cutter

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Unfaithfull For My Liking, 12 Sept. 2014
Does not chomp through pipes as easily as I thought it might do, I think the problem is the 20mm round conduit I tend to use these days is too soft,you have to use it like scissors buy revolving the tube on the blade to get a straight even cut,
If you just cut straight into a piece of pipe it tends to crush it and distort it before actually cutting it!
I think spending more on a better bit of kit might be the solution.

IK Multimedia IPIRIGKEYSPROIN Mobile MIDI Keyboard with Full Size Key
IK Multimedia IPIRIGKEYSPROIN Mobile MIDI Keyboard with Full Size Key

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahead Of it's Time, 12 Sept. 2014
This bit of kit is amazing Musos please note an essential bit of kit, Buy the software upgrades, they are all very well worth it.

2 and a halves octaves and the software is pure magic lots of gizmos to keep any geek ike me high all day

IK is a Company that's gonna rule the World (well for Music at least) it is such a neat bit of kit, much better than my Akai LPK25 mini keyboard, which with only 1 and a half octaves, is simply not enough octaves and its much too small.

5 X GLASS PAINTS SET
5 X GLASS PAINTS SET
Offered by Ascrafts

4.0 out of 5 stars I Have Seen Through This, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: 5 X GLASS PAINTS SET
4 stars because I did nit like the consistency of the paint itself it did not dry very quickly and thus over painting was not possible the colours are quite good the White however is wishy washy and a waste of space.
Used it on an outside light with ice cube like bits on it, very effective!.

Solo One
Solo One

5.0 out of 5 stars Solo or not, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Solo One (MP3 Download)
I liked it but the style was a big departure from the album "Modern Lullaby" which is a far superior album to this so I am a little disappointed maybe hubby's influence is better

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20