Profile for J. Munro > Reviews

Content by J. Munro

J. Munro "jock_munro" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Aaron Taylor-Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the bad reviews. This is a great film, 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Ignore the bad reviews. This is a great film. A brilliantly sympathetic nod to the original Godzilla and thankfully a long way away from the Roland Emmerich version of the 90's. The film is moving, visually breathtaking with stunning sound design. There is enough in this film to impress in bucket loads and keep you on the edge of your seat. Those wanting over the top super fast fight scenes can made do with the Transformers movies. Bryan Cranstons character and his relationship with his son gave me a lump in my throat at times. This is not just some shallow monster movie reboot thats an excuse to show off up to date CGI. It has some real depth and credit to Gareth Edwards for succeeding in creating a brilliant tribute to the original 50s version.

BT Home Hub 3 For BT Broadband
BT Home Hub 3 For BT Broadband
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose - appalling product, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: BT Home Hub 3 For BT Broadband
AVOID BT and their Homehub 3. Bandwith errors, slow speeds, connection drops on most of our wireless devices the moment this awful router was installed. This makes wifi unusable for most applications and dont even think about media streaming, you havent a hope in hell.

Do not believe BT's claims about reliable wifi and their "best ever wireless signal". This is a horrible product that simply does not work.

Be very careful. Within BT's terms and conditions it says it does not garantee a wireless service. So when you try to move to a broadband provider that can actually give you a usuable service BT will slap massive charges on you for moving whilst still in contract. The Ombudsmen Services for communications will also side with BT. Basically as a consumer you are stuffed.

BT Home Hub 3.0 and BT Total Broadband Welcome Pack
FOR BT ONLY
BT Home Hub 3.0 and BT Total Broadband Welcome Pack FOR BT ONLY
Offered by NETWORK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose - appaling product, 4 Jun 2014

Queen Of The Wave
Queen Of The Wave

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic album., 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Queen Of The Wave (Audio CD)
This really is a spectacular piece of work from start to finish. Something to really get your teeth into. The pop opera theme is a brilliant idea and gels the whole thing together. All the tracks are superbly produced with such a wide palette of sounds & styles. It really is a sumptuous feast for the ears. My favourite track is track 9 - My Flaming Thirst. This could be a Bond theme, and Lumimarja Wilenius vocals are amazing. In fact all the vocals & backing vocals are strong and well produced across the entire album. Its refreshing to hear an album that is so musically rich and full, one that has real guts.

EAT THE RICH - The Cannibal Comedy { REGION 2 } [ IMPORT ]
EAT THE RICH - The Cannibal Comedy { REGION 2 } [ IMPORT ]
Dvd ~ Kevin Allen
Offered by dvd-uncut

2.0 out of 5 stars Great film poor DVD release, 5 April 2013
First of all, I'm reviewing this product, not the film. We all know the film is a classic, and would instantly receive 5 stars. However, this DVD release is a German import, the DVD menus are in German, and the film defaults to German dubbing. You need to select the English audio from the DVD menu, when all the options are in German. A bit of guess work needed. Not a major set back, but worth noting.

However, what is more of an issue is the very poor muffled sound quality. At one point in the film the audio goes noticably out of sync too.

This could be a straightforward port from VHS to DVD, which would explain the poor quality.

From what I remember, my old VHS copy (recorded from off the TV) has poor audio, and I wonder if the film itself just has a bad audio track. One thing is for sure, it has not been given the remastered DVD treatment for this release.

Its great to have the film on DVD after all this time. Just be aware that if you buy this you wont be getting the sort of hi def good quality that should deliver.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 7:58 AM GMT

My God Is Blue
My God Is Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far, 12 July 2012
This review is from: My God Is Blue (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for a couple of months and given it at least 10 listens so far. I think it is Sebastien Telliers best work to date. The entire CD is well crafted, well produced and has no dull points. A fantastic peice of work. I very rarely get excited about new releases, however with My God Is Blue I was buzzing on the very first listen, and still am. This is a real gem.

Black Sands
Black Sands

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Black Sands (Audio CD)
I bought this CD based on all the fantastic reviews people have left. I hate the phrase "chill out", but its what people relate to. Therefore I was after a "chill out" style CD but with a richer jazzier & hip hop infused acoustic edge. The sort of thing you'd play on a hot summers evening whilst sipping pimms in the garden with friends. Something more intelligent and deeper than the usual chill out.

I dont think this CD delivered. After the 10th listen I'm not impressed. I dont look forward to putting this CD on, I have to force myself, which cant be a good thing. I find it too brooding and stifled, and also musically and sonically thin. Ok, it was never going to be a Brandford Marsalis jazz epic, and thats not what I was looking for. Other reviewers have hinted at a jazzy whiff, but its very minimal from what I can hear.

The annoying thing is, the CD still isnt a bad CD. But I find it very frustrating to listen to. Its like one of those films where you get to the end and go "is that it ?!" Its as if the composer/producer were attempting to achieve that sophisticated smokey style, but in the process they've ended up with something quite boring and uninspiring. The music is there, just, but its just not being delivered, its being held back.

It could have been so much more. A brighter and tighter drum track with maybe some playful lo-fi loopage would have given it more of an edge. The bass lines dont jump out at you either. Theres enough space in the tracks for a little more exploring for the bass, but it just doesnt happen. The chord arrangements are pretty tame too.

This had so much potential, but it lacks a lot of things. For me I find it uninspiring. Annoying really as I was really looking forward to listening to it. After 10 listens I'm still disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2013 1:57 PM BST

TP-Link TD-W8961ND 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (EU Plug)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent speed but range is not that impressive, 14 May 2012
I replaced a problematic SMC router with one of these TP-Links. Straightforward installation and set up. Nice reliable and stable connectivity so far.

Previous speed tests taken with an iPhone used to produce download rates between 2mbps to 6mbps on the old router. The speed test on the new TP-Link came in at 10.74mps. Upload rate also higher.

I've only been running the unit for 4 days, but have had a Nintendo Wii running BBC iPlayer and two iPhones using youtube simultaneously and there were no issues.

The biggest downpoint is the range. The old SMC router worked outside the house. This new TP-Link struggles in comparison.

However, for the price, I cant really fault the unit at all.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Even for the money, not that impressed, 6 April 2012
You cant knock the price. But here are the problems I had with this unit...

1. It had trouble playing quite a few files from my USB 300gb drive. For instance, .wmv files I had created of home movies. Some worked, some didnt, despite being created in exactly the same manner from the same source. Also a lot of other movies that I had downloaded from the net failed to work.

2. I thought this box would be a great way to play my extensive mp3 library from the USB drive by connecting the Cyclone up to the TV and have the TV audio out to the stereo. The perfect solution for BBQs, parties..etc. It played the mp3's fine, but the on screen interface is basic and I couldnt find a way of queing
up mp3s to create some sort of a play list. Shame.

3. After about 2 months of very light use I was unable to power on the unit using the remote control. The first thing I tried to do was replace the battery in the remote control. When attempting to get the battery out the remote broke into pieces !

So, now I cant use the unit. I cant be bothered to return it. After using it and realising some of its limitations, especially with the mp3 player, I've decided to save up and get one of the more expensive media streamers with better functionality and of a higher quality build.

In this case, you do get what you pay for.

The Hitcher [SOUNDTRACK]
The Hitcher [SOUNDTRACK]

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic soundtrack, 7 July 2011
shame its so difficult to get hold of. Mark Isham's soundtrack makes The Hitcher. The original film is a masterpiece and so is the score. For me this is one of Mark Ishams best works, and amazing soundtrack that has had a lasting influence on my own music creation. I cant think of any other film where the soundtrack sets the mood and fits so perfectly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4