Profile for tobykin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Daphne Du Maurier
Daphne Du Maurier

3.0 out of 5 stars Daphne Du Maurier by Margaret Forster, 21 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Daphne Du Maurier (Kindle Edition)
I have found this book dreary and long. I have been a fan of Margaret Forster for some years and of course also like Daphne du Maurier. Although Margaret Forster has evidently done a lot of research which is admirable but I would be happier with a shorter book and not so many tedious details about her fantasies. We do learn rather a lot about the famous writer and her darker side, her depressions, insecurities and also anxiety about money. However it didn't really do much to make me admire the book but that is just my opinion.

Brooklyn
Brooklyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Brooklyn., 19 April 2016
This review is from: Brooklyn (Kindle Edition)
I liked the novel about the life in Ireland in the 1950s and the main character is a young girl who emigrates to America to get a job there. I could relate to homesickness she experienced as I myself am an immigrant. The writer describes characters well but there was something missing and I must say I was rather disappointed with the denouement. It didn't quite do it for me, although I enjoyed parts of it.

Letraset FlexMarker with Brush Nib, Set of 6 colours - Vibrant Tones
Letraset FlexMarker with Brush Nib, Set of 6 colours - Vibrant Tones
Offered by Graff-City

5.0 out of 5 stars good value for money and very happy with the markers, 26 Feb. 2016
I received these markers in return post, good value for money and very happy with the markers. Beautiful vibrant colours.

Hidden Lives: A Family Memoir
Hidden Lives: A Family Memoir

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful account of three generations, 17 Feb. 2016
I have read this book some years ago and have just re-read it. What a wonderful account of three generations. I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. It's poignant and an exploration of changing values and attitudes. Margaret Forster painted such vivid descriptions of people and places that I felt transported into their world. I well remember my grandmother and mother living similar lives even though in another country. There were so many taboos and things that were never discussed, illegitimacy was a 'sin'. I feel very sad that Margaret Forster has died recently, such a great loss.

The North: (And Almost Everything In It)
The North: (And Almost Everything In It)
by Paul Morley

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read. This big tome of a book is ..., 17 Dec. 2015
An excellent read. This big tome of a book is so full of interesting information, one can just dip in and use it as a reference book. As I live in the Manchester area this book has a special interest for me. The author grew up in Stockport and this book is a mixture of memoir and social history. It is funny and poignant and it is a sheer delight. Thank you Paul Morley!

Beauty & Truth Wrinkle Rewind Intensive Recovery Anti-aging Cream
Beauty & Truth Wrinkle Rewind Intensive Recovery Anti-aging Cream
Offered by Health Beauty & Skin Care

1.0 out of 5 stars I have bought this cream directly from the 'Beauty and ..., 15 Dec. 2015
I have bought this cream directly from the 'Beauty and Truth' and I'm afraid it doesn't do what it claims to do. So, I can only give it 1 star.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars Although I read this book before I loved it just as much this time, 20 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
Although I read this book before I loved it just as much this time. Her style of writing is so vivid and her descriptions of events around Biafra war in the 1960s are full of compassion. It's definitely thought provoking and it reminds us again about the futility of wars. The book has recently won another well deserved award. I recommend it to all the readers.

The Magpies
The Magpies

4.0 out of 5 stars This thriller is a better read than I had expected, 10 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Magpies (Kindle Edition)
This thriller is a better read than I had expected. It also sounds quite true and the plot is quite clever. I was kept in suspense and read it in one sitting, so I give it 4 stars.

Replacement Thermoforming Mouth Trays/Guards for Teeth Whitening/Bleaching or Teeth Grinding
Offered by Browns Cosmetics

5.0 out of 5 stars ... for my friend and he finds it a really good value for money and it does the job, 12 Sept. 2015
This was for my friend and he finds it a really good value for money and it does the job.

Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming nursery song by Eugene Field that has always ..., 5 Sept. 2015
A charming nursery song by Eugene Field that has always been popular and has lost none of its appeal since it was first written many years ago.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20