Profile for jenny g > Reviews

Content by jenny g

jenny g "jenny g" (Scotland)

Edgelands
Edgelands
by Paul Farley

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done the Edgelands poets!, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Edgelands (Paperback)
I had bought this book imagining something very different than it turned out to be; seeing the incongruous dead rabbit on the cover, I had imagined some dark and gritty expose of the social margins of the UK. However, what was inside was far more gentle, and gave increasing delight as I read, as the authors turn their poetic vision on the generally unloved physical landscapes where human utility and the natural world abut each other, conjuring a certain wistful magic out of even the most unprepossessing structures and functions, tuning in nicely to my soft spot(shared by quite a few 40-somethings I think)for motorway services, premier inns and such like.

Specifically, I loved the generosity of their vision, with every edgelands denizen, animal, vegetable,mineral or even purpose being credited with a sort of tender validity. Also, the book has given me a real respect for what happens when poets turn their hands to prose, with some sentences and paragraphs making me want to clap out loud.

There is good fun to be had, too, when the authors posit, every so often, imaginings where some Edgelands feature rides to the rescue in some outsize way, or stars in some unlikely new wheeze, such as the writer's retreat at the Travelodge, which sounded just the ticket.

As another reviewer mentions, the authors miss out cemeteries in their roll call of edgelands highlights; the living aren't much in evidence either though, with such characters as do appear during the authors' wanderings having an insubstantial sort of vagueness,reminiscent a little of the (highly edgelands I would say) graphic novel 'Mauretania'. I wouldn't fault the book for this, though - the social edgelands no doubt have their own scribes, and ours are on more delicate and poetic business.

All in all, well done gents! Should we meet, a Costas latte (sit in or take away) shall be yours.

PS if another edition comes out, please lose the dead rabbit, it's misleading!

Indian Vegetarian Cookery
Indian Vegetarian Cookery
by Jack Santa Maria

5.0 out of 5 stars Every one a Coconut!, 21 May 2011
We bought this book just a few months ago, and in contrast with the rather plain and unprepossessing feel of the book itself, we have been absolutely in awe at the delicious results that have come out every time. The ingredients and techniques seem simple enough, though sometimes a wee bit unusual, but the finished grub tastes, well, just INDIAN... sometimes we can hardly believe that we've made them out of seemingly ordinary ingredients. Also, the simplicity of many of the recipes lends itself to making a good thali spread without getting too muddled.
All in all the book has joined our other 'legendary' favourite, 'The 30 Minute Vegetarian'by Joanna Farrow, on our A list.
We've found it out - good recipes don't need pictures!

This Is the Life
This Is the Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Just breathtaking, 12 Oct 2007
This review is from: This Is the Life (Audio CD)
Just heard this for the first time, and I'm blown away. I waited for it to weaken, but it just didn't. I feel Amy is going to be an absolutely enormous star, even just on the word of mouth effect. Last time something hit me this hard on first listen it turned out to be David Gray's'Babylon'when it first came out. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it sold by the shedload, and Amy is going to do the same, I've no doubt. Hope she can keep her feet on the ground - maybe the superb KT can mentor her!!

30 Minute Vegetarian: Fast, Creative Vegetarian Food (Pyramid Paperbacks)
30 Minute Vegetarian: Fast, Creative Vegetarian Food (Pyramid Paperbacks)
by Joanna Farrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Every one a winner!, 7 Sep 2007
This is an amazing cookbook. Like the previous writer we've found that every recipe we've tried has been a memorable one. I'm a meat-eater myself, but I would say that even hardened meat-lovers would have to admit that these dishes are complete and fantastic without the need for any flesh. Superb!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2010 3:04 PM GMT

You Choose!
You Choose!
by Pippa Goodhart

5.0 out of 5 stars You Choose, 19 Aug 2006
This review is from: You Choose! (Hardcover)
Our 5 year old daughter has hardly put this book down since choosing it from a book shop 3 weeks ago. Great for make-believe and imagination - she loves to pretend to be different characters and choose houses, clothes, friends, pets, jobs etc accordingly. She encourages everyone she meets from age 2 to 90 (just about) to share the book with her and choose what they would like to be and do. The illustrations are bright and colourful and great for vocabulary building and just for fun too!

Days Like This
Days Like This
by Simon James

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 3 Dec 2003
This review is from: Days Like This (Paperback)
Of all the hundreds of books on our 2-yr old's groaning bookshelves, this is the one that I feel moved to recommend to all and sundry. It's a lovely whimsical collection of illustrated poems; the thing though that marks it out for me is a certain theme that runs through many of the illustrations, namely the rapport between the child and the city. The way Simon James brings this out, revealing the city through childrens' eyes, is just exquisite.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2010 1:15 AM GMT

Domhnall Alasdair Agus Goraidh
Domhnall Alasdair Agus Goraidh
by Lisa Storey

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful little book about a boy and his wayward dog, 31 May 2001
Domhnall Alasdair Agus (and) Goraidh is a little story for children in Scots Gaelic, aimed very much at the 5-8 year old Gaelic Immersion Primary school pupils throughout Scotland. Domhnall and his collie-type Goraidh have a set of little adventures, illustrated with lovely simple ink pictures by Seonaid (Janet) Walker in a cheery, innocent style which will resonate with the readers! A lovely addition to a Gaelic-speaking family's bookshelf all in all.