Profile for S. A. Broadhurst > Reviews

Content by S. A. Broadhurst

S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Knitting Smitten: 20 Fresh and Funky Hand-knit Designs (Simple Makes)
Knitting Smitten: 20 Fresh and Funky Hand-knit Designs (Simple Makes)
by Jessica Biscoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky patterns and a fantastic technique book, 20 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As soon as I opened this book I felt it had a modern feel. It has fun, quirky projects and is bright, colourful and inspirational. I really liked the introduction section to this book which contains a recommendation list of what should be in a knitter's tool kit, an explanation of the different yarns avaliable, how to decipher a knitting pattern (abbreviations explained) and a section on working from a knitting chart (something which i have never managed). There is then a fantastic section on how to knit, taking many abbreviations and giving word and photo instructions on how to knit, purl, knit two together, making an additional stitch to name but a few. They are really well planned out and easy to follow - these are some of the best instructions I have seen in a knitting book. There are then sections entitled: Knits to wear, Knits to share and Knits for the Home.

Patterns are well written, accompanied by great photographs of finished items along with any difficult techniques. I love the flamingo cushion, the knitted/crocheted bracelets and the diamond leg warmers. The patterns will suit a range of abilities with something for everyone to try.

This is a great book for knitters who like quirky knitting patterns.

Astonish Me
Astonish Me
by Maggie Shipstead

2.0 out of 5 stars having loved Shipstead's first novel, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Astonish Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Based within the world of professional ballet, two ballerinas fight for the attention of a top choreographer. I anticipated so much for this book, having loved Shipstead's first novel, however I was disappointed with this book. It did not hold my attention.

The Art of Baking Blind
The Art of Baking Blind
by Sarah Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the perfect book to read at this time of year, 20 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the perfect book to read at this time of year, The Great British Bake Off has returned to our television screens and The Art of Baking Blind tells the story of a similar competition where five amateur bakers to become the next Mrs Eadon, the wife of the founder of a chain of supermarkets, and also the author of an iconic recipe book, The Art of Baking.

The book has been split into chapters which follow the route of the competition, with each round being a new chapter and being introduced with an excerpt from The Art of Baking. I really enjoyed this book - there are a number of books which use the idea of cookery competitions out at the moment and this, along with What would Mary Berry Do? are two of my favourites.

THE ACCIDENT
THE ACCIDENT
by C.L. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read. A book which kept me gripped from ..., 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A fantastic read. A book which kept me gripped from start to finish and I can't wait to read C L Taylor's next book!!

The Year of the Rat
The Year of the Rat
by Clare Furniss

4.0 out of 5 stars Although the synopsis of this story sounds sad and upsetting, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Rat (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pearl's mother has recently died, which is hard enough for Pearl to live with, but Pearl has a new sister, Rose, and it was during Rose's birth, that her mum died. Pearl is, of course, devastated and is unable to bond with her new sister, and nicknames her, the Rat.
Although the synopsis of this story sounds sad and upsetting, it is actually a very good read, There are times of sadness and is very poignant but it is also interspersed with moments of humour which raises a smile.
I would recommend this as a book which both teenagers and adults will both like and it is one of those that stay with you long after you have finished the last page

The Lemon Grove
The Lemon Grove
by Helen Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars I love finding a book that I want to tell everyone ..., 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Lemon Grove (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love finding a book that I want to tell everyone about as soon as I have finished the last page - and this is one of those books. It is perfect for a summer read to read on a long journey or sat next to the pool this summer time.
The book has it all: beautiful descriptions of the spanish scenery and setting; great characters and the interaction between the generations kept me interested throughout the book.
Put this book in your summer getaway luggage!

Love, Lies and Lemon Pies (Love Lies & Lemon Pies 1)
Love, Lies and Lemon Pies (Love Lies & Lemon Pies 1)
by Katy Cannon

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the perfect book for teenagers who love reading but also adore ..., 19 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the perfect book for teenagers who love reading but also adore baking. Each chapter begins with a recipe, all of which sound very tasty
The book is about a bake club - and all the members have their own back stories - but together they create a fantastic tale which is headlined by Lottie, a teenager who has just lost her father and has to join after school clubs, and chooses the Bake Club. The book follows Lottie through her grief but also through finding new friends and interests.
It is a great book for teenagers to enjoy.

My Salinger Year
My Salinger Year
by Joanna Rakoff

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book - a memoir about a traditional literary ..., 19 Aug. 2014
This review is from: My Salinger Year (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book - a memoir about a traditional literary agency. Joanna Rakoff gives a real insight into her daily life there, but also her personal life, both family and love lives were explored. I loved hearing about all Rakoff's work colleagues - it sounded like a fantastic place to work and for Rakoff,who worked answering Salinger's 'fan mail' her life was interesting but at the end of the book I was left with tears in my eyes following the death of Salinger and how Rakoff dealt with this personal loss.

Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
Mindfulness at Work For Dummies
by Shamash Alidina

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this book very useful. Although many of the techniques set out in ..., 19 Aug. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book very useful. Although many of the techniques set out in the book are common sense, sometimes it is useful for them to be written down and presented to people for them to really concentrate and carry out. There is a simple introduction to mindfulness, a technique which seems to be the buzz word at the moment, and then how it lends itself to work.
There are exercises to carry out and resources that can be used to aid this as well as links to follow to find similar resources online. I would recommend this book as a great introduction before looking into the technique further online or in further books.

The Apple Tart of Hope
The Apple Tart of Hope
by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 16 July 2014
This review is from: The Apple Tart of Hope (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book!! It is well written and I devoured it in one sitting. Friendship, love, sadness, happiness, honesty and jealousy are just some of the emotions covered in this book but there are so many more i haven't listed. It tells the story of a teenage relationship and the rocky road it takes.
I would love to see this book on the big screen - it has so much to offer and I would love to see it played out and the audiences reactions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20