Profile for S. A. Broadhurst > Reviews

Content by S. A. Broadhurst

S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ice Creams at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 3)
Ice Creams at Carrington's (Carringtons Department Store 3)
by Alexandra Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Summer Read, 25 Jun 2014
I would love to live in Mulberry-on-sea, it sounds like a fun town to live in and with Carrington's Department Store at its heart, a real traditional town. Carrington's has lots of history but is also very much a part of modern day life due to a reality show series being filmed there in the last book.

Georgie Hart used to be on the designer bags section but following an appearance in the reality series, she has now become a personal shopper and her department has gone from strength to strength, as has her personal life as she is in a relationship with Carrington's owner. Her best friend is Sam, who owns the cake shop within Carrington's, and a mother of twin girls.

This is the third book in Alexandra Brown's series about the seaside department store and this one is based more on the community outside of the store. A festival is taking place in Mulberry-on-sea and Georgie wants to make sure that Carrington's is well represented there - not only does she want to prove to her partner that she can do this, but also his mum who has dropped anchor in the town for the festival.

The festival sounds like an event I would of loved to have visited - lots of fun for young and old and a celebration of Mulberry-On-Sea and its history. however, as is often the case, behind the scenes of the festival there are disagreements, arguments and cat fights - however these disputes end up affecting the festival, is it really Georgie's future mother in law who is to blame??

I really enjoyed leaving Mulberry-On-Sea and following Georgie on her travels and also on finding out more about other characters within the book. Alexandra Brown has tackled issues in this book and I think it adds depth to the book.

I think this book should be the book for the summer - slip it into holiday luggage or take it in the garden to while away the afternoon.

I am already looking forward to the next installment of life at Carringtons, although I have seen that Alexandra Brown is writing a three-book series , all set in the fictional picture-postcard village of Tindledale, with the first one entitled The Great Christmas Knit Off, which I also look forward to reading soon.

Love Like the Movies
Love Like the Movies
by Victoria Van Tiem

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read to reminisce about fantastic films, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Love Like the Movies (Paperback)
This book is one of those books that can be read in one setting - it is fun, light hearted and funny while reminding the reader of ten of the most fantastic romantic comedy films ever made!

Kensington Shaw (Kenzi) has just got engaged and is on her way to her parents, along with her fiance, to show of her engagement ring and to celebrate, however, as always seemed to happen at such times of celebration in Kenzi's life, her friend, Ren, who has became like a second daughter to Kenzi's mum, announces she is pregnant with her first child. Add to this a facebook request from her first love who dropped her in strange circumstances, and Kenzi begins to question her life - did she really have the perfect life? Does she want to marry Bradley? Why has Shane got back in touch? Is she happy in her work

Shane comes into Kenzi's life again through work, with Kenzi trying to win the contract which will keep her job at the ad agency, as there are cost cutting measures being discussed. However, it is not as simple as just giving a good pitch, Shane promises to sign the contract as long as Kenzi re-enacts scenes from their favourite romantic comedies which were:

Sleepless in Seattle
Love Actually
Say Anything
You've Got Mail
My Best Friend's Wedding
I have heard of most of the films except Sixteen Candles and Say Anything and they are all firm favourites of mine - I would love to have seen Notting Hill in the list though. It was great to read lines from the film throughout the text and i also enjoyed spotting the scenes from the films too. It has definitely made me want to watch the films again.

The story was a great read. It is full of funny scenes, I especially enjoyed the competitive run on the treadmill in the gym and also the crafty ambush at the paintballing event, followed by the car chase. Although the ten movies do play a part within the story, I do not think it matters if readers are not aware of the story lines as the story has a strong story-line with the film story-lines being additional to the story. It was a believable tale and I would love for someone to try to sweep me off my feet by recreating these famous scenes. I also liked the characters, although some of the characters turned out to be devious - I did not like Ren at the start of the book, seeing her trying to outdo Kenzi at every turn, however my opinion had changed for the better towards the end.

Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Induction Set
Tefal 13-Piece Ingenio Induction Set

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband has fallen in love with these pans!, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very clever system which gives a large number of saucepan/frying pan options. The pans have a heavy base and can be taken from the hob to the oven very easily. The detachable handle (of which two are provided) mean that pans can be easily stored with the six pans (2 saucepans, 2 frying pans, a sautepan, a wok) all easily fitting inside each other and in a cupboard easily.
The pans are an expensive outlay but one which is well worth it!

When the Guns Fall Silent
When the Guns Fall Silent
by James Riordan

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the celebration of the centenary of World War One, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Friendship and loyalty runs throughout this book. The author reminicses of his Grandfather's wartime stories and his memories of life in France where he returns. There is lots of memories included within the book and I think that it would be perfect for children to read as first hand experiences during the first World War, telling of both Highly emotional and honest material throughout.

A Lovely Way to Burn (Plague Times Trilogy 1)
A Lovely Way to Burn (Plague Times Trilogy 1)
by Louise Welsh

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - not a fan of dystopia, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was looking forward to getting into this book, the first in a new trilogy, but I found myself bored. I have never liked this new genre of Dystopia and now pick up a book where a disease is spreading the town and no one knows the cause or cure. Disappointed that I did not enjoy it.

The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Di Sean Corrigan 3)
The Toy Taker (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 3) (Di Sean Corrigan 3)
by Luke Delaney

2.0 out of 5 stars Too creepy for me, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really disappointed to find that I am too much of a wimp to finish this book. I really enjoy the author's writing technique but I found that the story remained with me when I finished for the night, leaving me questioning everything and feeling a little creeped out!
Shame but I am sure it will be more my husbands style.

My Name Is Parvana
My Name Is Parvana
by Deborah Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to read the rest of the series!!!!, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Parvana (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was unaware that this book was the final one in a series and therefore have read it as a standalone. It was brilliant but I will definitely be looking for the previous books to find out the whole story.

It would be a great series for a school library as it tells of life within Afghanistan during its troubled time. It is not a recount of Parvana's life, but a story using experiences observed. It is a thought provoking and inspiring read that older primary children or high school children will find much inspiration from.

An American Bride in Kabul: A Memoir
An American Bride in Kabul: A Memoir
by Phyllis Chesler

4.0 out of 5 stars Oppurtunities to understand what really goes on behind closed doors, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I live in a multi-cultural area of a city, work in an area with a high number of the Muslim community and who's children attend multi cultural schools, however I know that I don't have a real understanding of what the muslim community entails and what goes on behind closed doors. This book certainly gives an insight into their community.

It is a definite eye-opener and the author, Phyllis Chesler, writes a very honest account of her own personal battle to achieve the life she wanted in a cross of cultures that on the outside should not work.

After the Bombing
After the Bombing
by Clare Morrall

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking book about the aftermath of war, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: After the Bombing (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book. Two timeframes, 1942 and 1963, which the author switches between to tell the story of Alma; a schoolgirl who is caught in the bombings and then returns as a teacher at the same school, the school and the wider community. I really enjoyed the descriptive style adopted by the author, which I think added to the atmospheric feel of the book.
I think that this book would be enjoyed by both those who have lived through the era alongside others who have only heard of them.

Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar for GCSE - Digital Tester and Handbook
Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar for GCSE - Digital Tester and Handbook
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for more than just GCSE, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPAG) is now being tested at KS2 and is also considered in KS3 and GCSE marking, therefore I think that this is a must have for school age children of all ages, and their parents/carers who may wish to brush up on their rusty skills.

The handbook is very concise but contains a lot of very useful information. However, the dvd goes into a lot more detail and gives the option of preparing specific handouts and question sheets to brush up on particular skills. The package takes a whole curriculum approach, with vocabulary lists of tricky words for many subjects including PE, IT and Business Studies alongside the traditional subjects.

I would recommend this as a must have for school age children of all ages as it is a resource which can be referred back to frequently to ensure high marks can be achieved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20