Profile for S. A. Broadhurst > Reviews

Content by S. A. Broadhurst

S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Charlie Merrick's Misfits in Fouls, Friends, and Football
Charlie Merrick's Misfits in Fouls, Friends, and Football
by Dave Cousins
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for football fans and players alike, 15 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I want to ensure that my son will pick up a book to read, give him a book which contains football! Therefore this book is perfect for him.

Charlie Merrick is the team captain of North Star Galaxy and all he ever thinks about is Football. However, he has a problem, all his good team players have left. He also has another problem: he is better in his head at playing football than his feet can actually manage. However, he is determined to get his team selected to play in the exhibition matches at the tournament. To do this, he must find new, good, players and fast.

My son is a big fan of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates - he loves the style of those books, a great story which is told around cartoon style inserts and interesting random page layouts which break up the story. This book is all of that but also contains match reports and great facts that any football fan will digest with interest.

The story is about football, but also is about friendship, teamwork and perseverance - important skills to learn when part of a football team. It is perfect for readers age 9+ years, but would also be great for younger readers to read with their peers.

It also has a bonus added extra - a full colour wall chart for The World Cup 2014 making it an ideal gift to give this summer.

Perfect for any budding football players or footie fans

Galt Dr Miriam Fill and Spill Barn
Galt Dr Miriam Fill and Spill Barn
Offered by 24/7 DIRECT
Price: 15.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a first farm - could be added to in future years, 29 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I work in a children's centre and one of the most popular toys we use is the farmyard and therefore when I was offered this through the Amazon Vine programme in return for an honest review I was very interested in testing it.

First impressions was that it was very nicely packaged and packed within the box, with pieces wrapped in tissue paper to ensure no scratches etc before it was given or bought. The main farm barn is well made, with a removable roof. The corners have been rounded to ensure safe for young hands. It is not a large farm, just the right size as a first farm for toddlers. It is, however, one which can be bought as a first farm and then added to a larger farm set.

Now, since receiving this item I have had time to consider one issue that I have with this product - the animals are not animal shaped - they are carved out of wood and have a cartoon style animal picture on them, beautiful as they are, but are solid shapes, not proper animals with legs to stand on, or chew on!. This product has been endorsed by Dr Miriam Stoppard, who Galt have said is teh UK's most trusted parenting expert, I am not arguing this, however when I have spoken in the past to Speech and Language experts through my work, they have said that children should see 'real photographic' images of things when learning, therefore surely farmyards should have pieces which look like animals, with four legs which can be grabbed at and a head which can be held, not a shaped piece of wood.

I also found the enclosed leaflet in which Dr Miriam told the reader how to play with the toy rather patronising - it also appeared to me to be too advanced for a 12 month old - Here is a DOG, he WAGS his TAIL and says WOOF WOOF - for example is too much for very young children and although some parents do need tips on playing with their child I do not think the leaflet was very informative.

However, after everything I have said, I do like the actual toy - great size for a young toddler, something which could be used for many years and used as a base for a farm which could, for example, be suggested to people to add to for future birthdays or Christmas, where people could buy separate pieces to add to the farm (eg separate animals, tractors, fencing etc).

Thirteen Weddings
Thirteen Weddings
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Thirteen Weddings, one wedding photographer and two men - but who will she walk away with ???, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Thirteen Weddings (Kindle Edition)
I have been waiting for Paige Toon's next release for a long time and I am happy to say that Thirteen Weddings was definitely worth the wait! This is a great summer read which will have have readers split - #TeamLachie or #TeamAlex ?

Paige's books always have great characters and Thirteen Weddings has a number of great ones: Bronte, the main character, is a magazine editor, who also has recently started a weekend job of an assistant wedding photographer. She had a one night stand at her best friend's hen night, who she saw again eighteen months later when she transferred from Australia to the English edition of the magazine for which she worked. What follows is the story of Bronte's life over the following twelve months: Alex is back with his girlfriend, now his fiancee, and then there is Lachie, a fellow Australian, who is funding his stay through both pub work and the odd gig as a wedding singer. Who will win Bronte's heart, Alex or Lachie - I know who I hoped would win it but I will not give away the ending.

I also liked many of the other characters, Polly, Bronte's friend who was getting married and whose hen party Polly met Alex at, had a great storyline. Although it was only a small storyline I think that the alcoholism was treated with respect and reminds the reader of the ease that it can creep up on people.

The two males within the story, Lachie and Alex, were very different to each other, but they were both likable in their own way. I think Lachie would be the first choice, he appeared to have a happy go lucky outlook on life and went where ever the work was whereas Alex was a hard worker, dependable and didn't want to upset anyone.

I really enjoy Paige's books and I like how characters from her back catalogue pop into new books - the books do not need to be read in order, they just appear, and their back story does not matter to the reader, but to fans it is nice for them to appear.

The story was believable and I am sure that readers will be able to identify with some, if not all, of the story. It is not only the story of Bronte's love life, but includes other characters, all with their own story, which adds extra depth to the book - something for readers to get their teeth into!

In summary, another fantastic read from Paige Toon. Perfect to add to any holiday luggage this year or to curl up with one Sunday evening!!

The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle
The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle
by Kirsty Wark
Price: 11.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Read with tissues at hand, 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book, however I found it very sentimental and often found tears in my eyes while I was reading it - which was not a bad thing, but not ideal to read on public transport or in the school playground. The individual stories of two ladies who's lives are intertwines leads to a great book!

Russell Hobbs 20810 Purifry Health Fryer, 2 Litre, White
Russell Hobbs 20810 Purifry Health Fryer, 2 Litre, White
Price: 94.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for healthier cooking, 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really excited to get this product to try however when I opened the box I was unsure how to use it to its best due to teh lack of instructions. There is an instruction book but for me, as a very limited and unconfident cook, I felt that I needed more instruction. However my husband, who does the cooking in our house, has had a play and really likes it. He has had to play and it has been trial and error to get the cooking times right but we have had some gorgeous food - little mini roast new potatoes are a firm favourite. it is easy to clean and it doesn't take too much storage space on the side, and looks good too!
My score does reflect the lack of detailled instructions.

Hozelock Pico Reel
Hozelock Pico Reel
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We already had a huge hose pipe which I found too heavy to use, however this one is a lot lighter. Hozelock to me is one of the top names in garden hoses and this product is no exception. It is very sturdy, with connectors which don't leak, lightweight and cleverly designed with the two hoses.
This product will suit someone with a smaller garden.

Revellutions 1:18 Scale RC Wild Horns Monster Truck
Revellutions 1:18 Scale RC Wild Horns Monster Truck
Price: 41.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids, 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great truck to get to introduce children into remote control action. It is great to use outside on patios etc but not so good for indoor use. The remote control is a throttle style which is perfect for smaller hands. it takes about one hour to charge and that gives a good amount of time to play. It looked a little flimsy body wise however it is actually rather robust which is great as until you get used to the control, it could have a few scrapes.
All in all - it is a great starter truck into remote control!

Sealed with a Kiss
Sealed with a Kiss

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect escapism, 6 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book - it was a great read, a quick read, and one which transported the reader to a remote Scottish island, where the reader can be lost in its beauty and village life.

Kate was a great character. I think that I could see myself as one of Kate's friend - although I don't think I would want to be the best friend, who's wedding saw Kate end her relationship with Ian! When she upped sticks and moved to Auchenmor, Kate not only left her boyfriend and family but also the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I envy people who can do this, I am too much a family girl and would be lost without family, friends and modern day conveniences.

The story is a true rom com - however, there is more to this book. I loved the love story but there is also one of seal rescue which was adorable. There is a good mix of humour and romance, making it great to add to any holiday luggage - perfect for a beach read or to while away long journeys, transporting its readers to the remote island, Rachael's narrative depicts a beautiful setting with idealic landscapes, in a peaceful location.

The setting of this book is also very important, a remote Scottish island which has a close community - no one can sneeze in Auchenmor without everyone knowing, and this is important to the story where the village community are often involved in the fate on its members. The characters were also very believable and I would love to live in a close knit community such as this one.

I read the book in two sittings and was left wanting more. I hope that Rachel revisits Kate and Rodderick in a future book as I felt this book was only the beginning of their story.

The Three of Us: Short Story
The Three of Us: Short Story
Price: 1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars short story revisiting favourite characters from previous books, 24 April 2014
his short story by Cathy Woodman is a great introduction to readers who have never visited Talyton St George before. The story is stand alone, however it can be read alongside Woodman's latest release, Fo0llow me Home, where the characters are mentioned a number of times but the outcome to the pregnancy, which has been upset with complications and uncertainties, is only found out in this short story.

With Cathy's other books there are lots of characters who turn up in many of the series, however this short story concentrates on Tessa and Jack, who run the animal rescue centre. Both characters have been in previous books, and avid readers will remember that Tessa was to marry another villager until Jack interrupted the wedding. I know that I have been hoping that these characters would turn up in another book as I wanted to know if they have stayed together and was pleased to see that they have their own story.

I enjoyed this short story and I would love Cathy to do more of these, revisiting characters who have previously featured heavily in earlier books from the series.

I recommend this to new readers who have not visited Talyton St George before but also to fans of the story who want to catch up with Tessa and Jack and find out if their pregnancy has a happy ending.

Frog Music
Frog Music
by Emma Donoghue
Price: 11.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Frog Music (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have enjoyed a number of Donoghue's previous books, especially Room, however I found this book to be average. Set in San Francisco in 1876 I was looking forward to a great read but found myself disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20