Profile for S. A. Broadhurst > Reviews

Content by S. A. Broadhurst

S. A. Broadhurst "SBroadhurst" (Worcester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Summer We Danced
The Summer We Danced
by Fiona Harper

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a story about the main character gaining self esteem and realising that she is a good dancer and a certain young male danc, 31 May 2016
This review is from: The Summer We Danced (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is set in a dance school - now I have read many children's books set in a dance school, but never an adult novel and therefore was interested to see what happened. It is a story about the main character gaining self esteem and realising that she is a good dancer and a certain young male dancer catches her eye. I was worried that it was going to turn into a girl meets boy book, but it actually wasn't. The author used dance as a way to show Pippa's lack of self confidence and her trust and belief in Miss Mimi to rebuild her self confidence and self worth and only then does she resurrect her teenage love for Tom.

Streets of Darkness (Detective Harry Virdee 1)
Streets of Darkness (Detective Harry Virdee 1)
by A. A. Dhand

5.0 out of 5 stars ) I went home and immediately picked this one up and I was not disappointed. A A Dhand spoke passionately about his debut ..., 31 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was lucky enough to meet A A Dhand at Chipping Norton Literary Festival this year at a New Voices event and after hearing him talk (and getting him to sign his first ever book!) I went home and immediately picked this one up and I was not disappointed. A A Dhand spoke passionately about his debut novel and rightly so, it is a fantastic read and I can't wait for the second and third books in this trilogy to be written and published.

Hardeep Virdee aka Harry is a disgraced policeman and what follows is a gritty police drama which leaves the reader ready for more. Set in Bradford, the novel tackles a number of themes included mixed marriage, power, politics and religion.

I recommend this to all crime lovers - another British crime writer to keep an eye out for!

100 Little Crochet Gifts to Make (100 to Make)
100 Little Crochet Gifts to Make (100 to Make)
by Anna Nikipirowicz

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book to have in your crochet library, 31 May 2016
This book is one of those that you can pick up when you want to craft but don't know what! As the title suggests it contains 100 crochet patterns which make perfect gifts. It is jam packed full of great ideas including teddy bears, hats, purses, decorations and gifts for the home.

Each pattern is accompanied by a full page colour photograph of the finished item and many of the patterns have at least one more smaller photograph showing a proportion of the design shown more clearly. The patterns are clearly written, with a full material list, hook size and tension check. The patterns included are 1-2 pages long and are written in clear, easy to follow steps.

The book can be used as a pattern library or inspiration for creating your own gifts. Many of the patterns can be used as squares to repeat and make bigger projects or used on their own. There are also flowers which can be used to decorate hats and bags.

I would recommend the book to any crocheters who want a book to dip in and out of, as a go to for that quick present you need to make. It would also be great for any craft groups to have in their library.

I haven't made anything myself out of it yet but have my eye on the cute penguin and the festive wreath.

I received this book from the publisher, Search Press Studio, in return for an honest review.

Rexel JOY Gazelle Half Strip Stapler - Silver/Pretty Pink
Rexel JOY Gazelle Half Strip Stapler - Silver/Pretty Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish stapler which can stand vertically on your desk!, 24 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a comfortable stapler to hold. It fits nicely into the palm of my hand and is easy to squeeze to operate. The only negative point I can find with the product is that when refilling the staples (which are easy to purchase, regular size) it was preferred that one continual strip is used - when i used a number of smaller sections to fill the full length, there were problems in stapling, with the staple not going through the paper and closing on both sides. This problem was remedied when only one strip of staples were used (rather than the five small strips of staples were inserted).
There are, however many more positives - the stapler can be stored vertically and does not topple over, there is an indicator on teh top of the stapler which changes colour when the staples run out, it is light and compact and looks stylish on the desk.

Dear Amy
Dear Amy
by Helen Callaghan

4.0 out of 5 stars I did enjoy it but think the story needed little more work ..., 12 May 2016
This review is from: Dear Amy (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An interesting read. A psychological drama which is intertwined with the main character being a part time agony aunt, whose life kept butting into the story. I did enjoy it but think the story needed little more work to perfect it.

This Must Be the Place
This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this book, 12 May 2016
This review is from: This Must Be the Place (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book. I am a fan of the author anyway but I think this is her best book yet. There are many characters within the book and each chapter is told from a different persons perspective, and O'Farrell is able to use her fantastic chatty writing style to stamp the character's identity on their chapters to make the reader believe they are listening to many people.

I am already looking forward to Maggie's next release

Giraffe Is Left Out - A book about feeling bullied (Behaviour Matters)
Giraffe Is Left Out - A book about feeling bullied (Behaviour Matters)
by Sue Graves

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great kids book about bullying, 12 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great kids book about bullying. With bright, bold pictures and a well written story it is great for primary school, key stage one children, when approaching the subject of bullying. it is perfect for storytime or circletime and could be extended to add a great topic of work around bullying. I will be looking out for more books in this series to add to our selection at the children's centre within which i work.

Tell Me Lies (Gardner and Freeman)
Tell Me Lies (Gardner and Freeman)
by Rebecca Muddiman

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a great police procedural, 12 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great police procedural, crime thriller that will keep readers attention to the very end. Although it is the third book by Rebecca Muddiman it can be read as a standalone novel, which I did, and enjoy it. One problem that I found with this book was that the plot was sometimes hidden within the everyday life of the characters but I enjoyed it enough to want to finish the novel and find out who did actually do it!

Die of Shame: Includes short story exclusive to hardback
Die of Shame: Includes short story exclusive to hardback
by Mark Billingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant new character from Mark Billingham, 7 May 2016
This is a standalone novel by Mark Billingham. I adore his popular Tom Thorne series of books and I was interested to see what Mark would do with a complete new cast of characters. What he has done is fantastic and I love the unusual setting of a support group for addicts. The support group is full of characters from all walks of life and within it there is a great relationship between its members and I imagine lots of curiosity but also secrecy within. It is a setting I haven't seen used before and, although I felt in places uncomfortable that I was spying into an emotive and trusting environment, where only the members are party to what is said in the room, I also thought it made a brilliant setting where any number of crimes could be committed.

I loved the style of book, with the murder investigation being worked, and interwoven with the events building up to the murder itself. The reader is able to follow the police investigation, which is told in real time, while being intertwined with recounts of the events leading up to the murder.

I love Mark's writing style and have devoured all of his Thorne books and still love the main man although I am hoping that we may see more of this new
DI Nicola Tanner in future books. Mark has a fantastic style where he is able to get wit and excitement into his books and having recently spent an evening with him at Chipping Norton Festival's famous Saturday night Quiz I can confirm that this is Mark's personality to a T!

I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a new gritty police drama to try.

Just Haven't Met You Yet
Just Haven't Met You Yet
by Cate Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book - I think that it was Cate ..., 18 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book - I think that it was Cate Woods' fantastic writing style which won me over. It is chatty and comedic throughout and felt like Cate was sat next to me, reading aloud. I have never met Cate but it had the style of a friend chatting but the storyline was also brilliant. This is definitely a book to give someone who is feeling down and needs a pick me up. A great laugh!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20