Profile for RM > Reviews

Content by RM

RM "kutusov" (Porto, Portugal)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Rockport Men's Fairwood Moc Boot Black Shoe K5949 15.5 UK, 16 US
Rockport Men's Fairwood Moc Boot Black Shoe K5949 15.5 UK, 16 US

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeap, great but huuuge...., 29 Jan 2012
The boots are great, feel well built, the leather is very nice and seem very comfortable. I ordered the brown ones and they are lovely, not so "yellowish" on the flesh as they seem on the photo.

However, and like another reviewer said, these boots are huge. I usually wear a UK9, in fact I have another pair of Rockport boots marked as US9.5. According to the specific Amazon chart for these boots, that should translate as an UK9. But I took the other review in consideration and ordered a UK8.5... no way, they are still too big. I was left with a space of about 2 or 2.5 cms in the front!

To make it worst, they are a bit narrow and the tongue is low. So what's the right size? Difficult to guess looking at the chart... A UK8.5 is a EUR42.5, a UK8 is a 42 (so not much smaller, about 5 mm or so) but a UK7.5 goes straight down to a EUR41 (I'm guessing they rounded up the numbers, it should be close to a 41.5 judging from the intervals on the chart).

I'm returning my 8.5s and ordered a 7.5, as an 8 seems a small difference from the ones I've got. But I'm a bit afraid a 7.5 proves too small or too narrow or too low for my feet. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, mind that from my usual 9, and after trying half a number below, I'm going with 1.5 numbers below my regular wear as my best guess! This sizing problem is the reason I don't give these boots 5 stars because, either than that, they do look and feel great!

Hope this helps someone... I'll update the review once I have the second pair.

---------- Update ----------

Yeap, 7.5 is spot on. They are a bit tight on the side for my feet but the leather will stretch a bit and they will be OK. Very comfortable walk. To give you another reference, even though I'm usually a UK9 on mnay brands, I've noticed that a few pairs of CAT boots I own are marked as UK8.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (PC DVD)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (PC DVD)
Offered by findprice

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Clear Skies, 18 Feb 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
(I reviewed this game before, when there was only the russian version of the game)

I also have an Ukrainian version of this game with a translation patch to English. It only translates subtitles and a lot of the plot is verbally spoken, so I know I'm missing on that department.

The game itself is a great leap from Clear Skies. I'm running CoP on maximum settings and the game is smooth and stable. This was something impossible with CS which, even on medium settings, would push my nvidea 8800gt card into overheating, crashing my system.

The missions and feel of the game are great, with a very big open space to explore and there are fewer encounters than on the other 2 games. This adds to feeling of being alone on the wilderness. You can also opt to join with other stalkers and travel together. Contrary to CS there are a lot of underground places to explore.

There are only 3 maps, although each one seems to be bigger than any sub-map on Shadow of Chernobil or CS. I've been playing this for a week now and I haven't got to the third map (Pripyat), so I can't say anything about that. I'm concentrating on side-quests because the game prepares you to think on Pripyat as a tough challenge and on building a small squad to go with you.

There are a few new mutants (I've only seen two so far but I think there's a third) and I think the guns are all the same you already know.

All in all I still like SoC better but this comes very close to what I've experienced with that game. Also, CoP adds to my anticipation of a proper Stalker 2, with bigger maps and longer gameplay. If you liked SoC get this game, you'll like it too. I got a copy from Germany but I'll be buying the proper English version now. It's that good!

---- Update----

Bad news: Pripyat is a great map but there isn't much happening there and that's a real shame. A lot more missions on the other two maps.

Good news: The game is really good. I've replayed it as soon as I've completed it the first time. They really learned a lot from their mistakes on CS and it shows. Bring fourth the forth instalment!

Pandorum [DVD]
Pandorum [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Pandorum [DVD] (DVD)
This is the kind of movie that can be easily spoiled by the most subtle review. Even the plot is something that gets unveiled as the movie progresses and only at the end will you understand some oddities showed throughout the movie or exactly what's it all about .
I watched it not knowing a thing about it, except that it was a sci-fi movie. It got me gripped on the first minutes but then... oh no! Alien-kind-monsters! Not another Alien-clone, please! Wish granted, it's not. So what it is? It's a movie worth watching, great on an all lot of levels! If you are not allergic to sci-fi themes, I bet you'll love it. Pandorum and Moon are probably the best sci-fi movies released this year.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite watch!, 9 Dec 2009
This Citizen Promaster is an automatic 21 jewels self winding watch with a mineral crystal glass. It has an 8 o'clock crown, so not to rub on a diving suit but it means it also will not rub your skin.

It's very well built and it looks great although this is a matter of taste. To me, this is the most beautiful divers watch I know. I like it even better than the Omegas or Rolex Submariners.

Some people complain about the band and I was surprised how comfortable it is after receiving mine. It has a velvet-like feel to it and the side that comes in contact with your skin has what seams to be a silicone coating that makes it especially comfortable.

The watches movement is a Miyota 8203, which is regarded as highly reliable and accurate for a mechanical watch. The good thing about being mechanical is that you don't have to open it to change batteries and lose a little bit of imperviousness to water each time you do. Some may argue that the new solar powered watches are more practical and I won't argue with that, but this is what a watch has been form many decades. And being a 21 jewels movement, it doesn't get much better than this.

The big competitor for this watch is the Seiko SKXOO7 and several reviews can't agree on which one is better. In my opinion, two facts tip the scale for the Citizen: it costs a lot less and you can wind it by hand and that means you don't have to wear it everyday or let it stop. On the subjective side, I think the Citizen also looks better and wears on the wrist a lot better too, being not so tall as the Seiko.

The luminescence is great, very bright for 4 or 5 hours in the dark.

As far as I know, this watch is no longer on the Citizen catalogue, so I believe these are the last new units for sale. It's a classic watch, higly regarded by collectors, so I think this is also a good investment, I bet it's going to be worth something 10 years from now.

What else can I say... get one while you can, you just can't go wrong with this one!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 3:05 AM BST

The Fountain [DVD] [2006]
The Fountain [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Death will tear us apart..., 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Fountain [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
First of all, I really don't know who wrote the official review but I completely disagree that this is a movie about three separate moments in time and about a couple trying to stay together. Let alone the astronaut stuff. I once picked this movie up at my video club and I didn't rent it because of this review.

This might sound like a strange way to have begun my own review but I really think that this movie is much more about the experience of watching it. Visually is beautiful. Musically is astonishing (Clint Mansell wrote the soundtrack). The plot... well... you'll either love it or hate it. Take a look at the ratings here on Amazon: most people rate it 5 stars or only 1. I even think that you'll either love or hate it depending on your mood at the moment you watch it. That's why I said that I tend think about The Fountain as an experience for the senses.

So what was the experience for me: sensorial awe. What, in my mind, this movie is about: the plot does revolve about a couple. Jackman is a doctor, all science, trying to get a cure for his wife brain tumor. He doesn't accept the inevitability of death, while his wife is already at peace with that. This is what tears them apart. He doesn't accept what he sees as she giving up on life and, in the process, tends to stay away from here, strugling in his lab to get a cure. That's why she also starts writing a book (called "The Fountain") about a Conquistador on a quest for the Tree of Life. She gives the unfinished manuscript to her husband, asking him to write the last chapter and to finish the plot. In a way, it's like she's helping him mourn her lost by making him think about death and the fate of the lover's in the book. So, emotionally, this is also a very strong and brilliant movie.

And now for the astronaut part, or time traveller or whatever... to me, this third plot is the state of mind, or inner voyage that Jackman makes throughout the movie. I understood like that from the first minute and had to think really hard to figure what was that 26th century stuff mentioned on the official review.

All in all, a sad love story about a couple being separated by death. A magnificent plot telling the story by the only way out: mourning. All wrapped with beautiful visuals and sublime soundtrack. Rent it! You might love it, you might hate it. Just don't let it pass!

Pulsar Men's Watch PF3739X
Pulsar Men's Watch PF3739X

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive watch., 7 Sep 2009
This review is from: Pulsar Men's Watch PF3739X (Watch)
Impressive is the world that springs to mind once you see it live. People make a brief silence before giving an opinion. This is a big watch, although having curvy lugs makes the size of it not really an immediate thing to grasp. It's shiny but the metal is slightly brushed and has a dark undertone. So you also don't notice right away how shiny it is. The two nut-like details on the bracelet is something that on a first glance you can't decide if they belong to the bracelet or watch case. This and other details contribute to that brief silence people make before giving their opinion.

I guess it's not a watch for everybody. Although being classy, it's far from being a classic design. It will be noticed on your wrist. Once there, it's a comfortable watch to wear. It's easier to wear than a diver's watch because, although being big, it's not that tall so you can wear it with a shirt.

It's very heavy and seams to have a very solid construction. Being a Pulsar, it uses the same Seiko movement as their low end chronograph watches, the difference being the brand, design and... price. But it's the same quality, reliability and precision of a common Seiko chronograph.

I should add to the general Amazon information that this watch also has an alarm that you set on the little dial at 6 o'clock. You can also use it to set the time for a second time zone. The alarm itself can only be set for a time no more than 12 hours ahead.

The only thing I don't like on this watch is it's luminescence. It's really very bad for a watch of this price. Even if exposed to direct light for hours, it's very dark and fades away in a matter of minutes. No backlight so don't expect to use it in the dark.

All in all, it's a fantastic, impressive watch. Quality is assured by Seiko but think carefully before you buy it if you have a wrist big enough for it. Also, everybody will notice it and will give you their opinions. Think if you are OK with that. If you are, you won't be disappointed, it's a marvellous time-piece.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Attack of the Gryphon [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Attack of the Gryphon [DVD] [2007] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jonathan LaPaglia
Offered by passionFlix UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst movie I've seen in months, 7 Feb 2009
This is a SciFi Channel movie, so it's made for TV and not the big screen. I knew that from the start but I wasn't expecting such a terrible movie. I don't even know where to start...

The story is about a long lasting war between two enemy kingdoms and when one of them is about to fall a sorcerer awakens a gryphon, the creature that supposedly protects that kingdom. The sorcerer double-crosses the king and uses the creature to achieve imortality and control both kingdoms. The heirs to both thrones join efforts to find a mythical spear, the only weapon capable of killing the creature.

This might sound a good plot but it's sooooo low budget that it's painful to see. The gryphon is CGI (I think) but it's so badly done that even king-kong of the original black and white movie looked more natural. Really, I'm not exaggerating! Then there's the armies... each mighty army is composed of 10 guys, they try to hide this with narrow framing but it doesn't work. To make it worst, sometimes you can see a soldier suddenly springing into panic or rage as he receives the order from the set director. After a while he goes into neutral and starts to look at the director as if to see if he is finally going to say "cut". If there was 200 guys in the picture, this might pass... but when the army is made of 10 people it's not even funny.

The soldiers chain-mail is made of wool shirts, something that it's also obvious. The swords are made of stainless steel and the arrows fired from bows fall 2 meters in front of the soldier that fired it. The acting is appalling and the dialogues some times seam to have been written by a 6 years old.

In Amazon.com some people give this movie 4 or 5 stars (I really don't know why) so there is a change some of you might like it. I honestly can't give this even 2 stars, which is something I rarely feel about a movie. I rated AVP Requiem 1 star some months ago, and that movie is far better than this one. Attack of the Gryphon is so bad that I felt embarrassed watching it. In my opinion, it's not even worth renting it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and perfect, 21 Oct 2008
This is one of the most inexpensive Nokia's headsets, corded or not, and it's great. It's very small and very light. The earloop helps you get that perfect fit and I found myself forgetting that I had it until someone asked me "What's that on your ear?".

I use it with a Nokia 6300 and they connect really well. Sound quality is very good and, as far as I can tell (and I've asked) no one notices I'm speaking through a headset. Nokia announces 10 hours of straight talk but I've never used it for that long. Still, I think that might be true because the battery lasts a long time. You can also charge it through your car's cigarette lighter (you need buy the car charger though. It's the same model that goes with the Nokia phones).

The only thing I would like different are the controls. You only have a button and that means that taking calls, turning it off, pulling up voice dial and such has to be done by pressing that button for a certain time for each thing. I guess this is OK after a little practice but hey!... I'm old-fashioned. I would like to have a button for each function.

Overall, and looking at the price of its big brothers, I think this is one of the best headsets you can buy. No bells and whistles, great quality, very comfortable and very affordable.

The Great Psychotherapy Debate: Models, Methods, and Findings (Counseling and Psychotherapy: Investigating Practice from Sc)
by Bruce E. Wampold

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital book for any mental health professional, 16 Sep 2008
This is a must have book. People who work in the mental field should slap this book in the faces of insurance companies, governments and professional associations that are ruining the efficiency of psychotherapy. A lot of good professional who know better are being coerced by the money-grabbing machine to deliver, paradoxically, the worst kind of therapies to people who need a good, sane relationship where their personality can adjust and thrive.

This stuff should be taught at every year of any psychology or psychiatry degree. Should also be referred to any mental health professional who goes about saying "my model is the best one, your is bogus".

If you work on the mental health field, PLEASE READ THIS BOOK! This is the real "Introduction to psychotherapies". Only after you know this stuff will you be able to choose and use a psychotherapy model to its best.

Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem [DVD] [2007]
Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Steven Pasquale
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars One star for the only thing I liked in the movie..., 10 Jun 2008
Boy I have to write something about this "Gem"! I can't recall seeing such a poor movie for a long while. If I give this 1 star, then I can easily rate a Thai Kong-Fu movie 3 starts all the way.

So 1 star for AVP 2 (or Requiem or whatever), and thats because I really liked 1 thing in the all movie. Right at the start, when credits start, you can here that magical sound of the movement scanners that space marines use on Aliens 2. Thats 1 star for 5 seconds of sound during credits. Everything else deserves a serious case of amnesia.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4