Profile for A. Melhuish > Reviews

Content by A. Melhuish

A. Melhuish "smilerish" (Southampton, UK)

Case-Mate Barely There Case for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Clear
Case-Mate Barely There Case for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Clear
Offered by CleverKit

2.0 out of 5 stars Fine if you don't use the docking connector, 8 Sept. 2015
For most people this might be a good case. It's certainly sturdy and slim and it's crystal clear.

However, while there's a hole for the Micro USB port, there's no hold for the docking connector. So I have to remove it from the case to charge on the cradle, or with a magnetic charging cable. Just to make this even more inconvenient, it's really difficult to remove the case!

CAT Footwear Men's Vinson Old West Molasses Pull On Boot P714402 8 UK
CAT Footwear Men's Vinson Old West Molasses Pull On Boot P714402 8 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely made, but not for me, 30 Dec. 2012
I bought these in the flash sale before Christmas, 'cos I've always liked the look of them - something a bit different. Having received them though, they're not really my style. Also, they're a tight fit - I normally wear size 8 but occasionally get 9, so these are definitely on the smaller end of 8. Despite being tight, they feel very comfortable, so no complaints there.

Picaresque
Picaresque
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great early album from this band., 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Picaresque (Audio CD)
I mainly bought this for my partner's favourite song, The Mariner's Revenge Song, but also 'cos I'm a big Decemberists fan and this was missing from my collection! It's a good album, with a mix of songs all very much in the Decemberists' early style (so nothing like Hazards of Love or King is Dead!). Must buy if you like any of the Decemberists' music though.

Nude
Nude

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant second album - I want more!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Nude (Audio CD)
One of those rare albums that I just had to listen to again and again. For a few weeks after this arrived, this was constantly on my playlist.

There are some truly beautiful songs of this album. Generally, this is more sombre than the debut, Mirror Mirror, but I think there's more raw emotion on show here.

I'm sure others can write better, more in depth reviews, but I love this. Must buy if you're an Irrepressibles fan, of course!

Chicago [Blu-ray]
Chicago [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Renee Zellweger

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great transfer of a brilliant film!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Chicago [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My rating is more for the blu-ray transfer as a product than the film itself. You can find plenty of reviews of the film elsewhere - in my opinion, it's a brilliant film that ought to be seen by any fan of musical theatre or even American history.

In terms of the package, this is a great deal. The main feature is in 1080p24, which looks sharp and pleasing most fo the time, with only occasional shots showing up weak filming and/or transfer, with a lot of graininess or faded colours. These shots are very rare though. Occasionally, movement seems a little too smooth too, which may indicate some digital post-processing, but it's far from distracting.

The killer elements here are the soundtrack and the extras. I only have a stereo setup, but the soundtrack was hair-raisingly good! The best rendition of this fantastic score I've experienced.

The extras were great too, giving some nice insight into the making of this film and the history of the book. I especially liked the Liza Minelli extra, which although drawn out, is worth watching to see Liza singing Nowadays at the end.

In case it bothers anyone, all the extras seem to be 4:3 DVD quality (except the commentary I assume, but I haven't tried that), but still very enjoyable.