Profile for Margie Greyvenstein author of 'Masked Gods' > Reviews

Content by Margie Greyven...

Margie Greyvenstein author of 'Masked Gods' (Manchester, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Mezco Mega-Scale ThunderCats Lion-O
Mezco Mega-Scale ThunderCats Lion-O
Offered by DandyIsland

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of nostalgia for a kid of the 80's, 12 Jan. 2012
This is one of the best versions of this iconic 80's cartoon character that I have seen. Although he is not very posable due to his legs being fixed, he still looks great on my shelf and makes me smile every time I see him. If you liked this show, you won't be dissappointed.

The Mist [DVD]
The Mist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thomas Jane
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but for the ending, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Mist [DVD] (DVD)
I really liked this and I don't normally watch creature type movies. The ending though lets it down. I wasn't completely comvinced by everyone's reactions to the situation though but it is an enjoyable attempt at observation of the Human Condition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2012 12:16 PM BST

Rushbrookes Double Oven Glove, Woodland, White
Rushbrookes Double Oven Glove, Woodland, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 28 Jun. 2011
I bought this as a gift for my mum and she loves it. It's nice and bright hanging in her kitchen and protects her hands well when she turns out her lovely cakes. Very pleased with this.

Zulu [1964] [DVD]
Zulu [1964] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stanley Baker
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Zulu [1964] [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of those classic movies that you could watch over and over and it would still be as thrilling as the first time you saw it. The story of a group of British soldiers vastly outnumbered and almost certainly facing death set in the beautiful landscape of South Africa, is a classic tale of heroism all the more poignant for being based on actual events.

This is simply one of those movies you have to see.

"Fish" Handpainted Placemat
"Fish" Handpainted Placemat

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: "Fish" Handpainted Placemat
I love this design and it looks great on a sidetable in my living room. You won't be dissappointed.

"Ghecko" Handpainted Placemat
"Ghecko" Handpainted Placemat

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: "Ghecko" Handpainted Placemat
This is a beautiful placemat. I use it on a sidetable under a plain bowl and it looks just great. Highly recommended.

65W Charger for HP Compaq G3000 G5000 G6000 G7000 Laptop - Original Lavolta Notebook AC Adapter Power Supply Plug Cord - 18.5V 3.5A
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 28 Jun. 2011
I'm very impressed with this adaptor. I have struggled in the past with others after the original's cable frayed near the port. And for the price you can't go wrong.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good jacket, 16 Jun. 2011
I went to Antartica in December last year with this jacket. Adding a thermeal layer under it I was very snug. Very impressed with this for the price.

The Crippled God: The Malazan Book of the Fallen 10
The Crippled God: The Malazan Book of the Fallen 10
by Steven Erikson

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic ending to a fantastic series, 16 Jun. 2011
I have to be honest and say that I did not always understand what was going on but at the end of it all I got the feeling that I 'got it'. The genius of this series was that you saw the characters evolve infront of your eyes to people that could do the things they did in the Crippled God. I mean you could not expect a reader to believe that a woman could march an army accross a desert for a reason that even the army could not explain, without understanding the characters involved, having 'lived' through their experiences with them. No matter how much backstory you told about them, showing their past to the reader convinces the reader that they could do what they did.

And above all, this is the masterclass in world building... no, this is the masterclass in universe building. If you want to see a fully realized fictional universe read this.

I would like to end with a quote I heard somewhere by an author who commented on a novel he did not write. Both the author who said it and the name of the novel escape me so forgive me for not referencing properly and possibly paraphrasing but it went something like this, '[name of novel] infuriates me because I did not write it. But that is not the whole reason. It also infuriates me because I could not write it]'.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a great series, 4 Feb. 2011
This is the first book in what has become one of my favourite fantasy series.

I know that some people complain about the chapter by chapter point of view change but I think it is genius. This was the first time I came accross using a third person point of view like this and at first I found it a bit odd but it suits the story so well and it just proves that a writer can still be original even with something as usual as a POV. And of course it gives the opportunity to see what other characters think of each other and what the character thinks in private - a very good device.

The story while dark and violent is interesting and because the characters are so varied it just kept me hooked. My favourite is Tyrion (like for so many) but they are all good rounded characters and the departure from too good characters to too evil characters is another original take on fantasy that I enjoy.

The world is well built but not overly explained, the magic is not too heavy handed and although I enjoy the magic systems created by other greats such as Jordan and Erickson, I found the subtle use of it here very well done.

And of course we have the HBO series to look forward to as well.

All in all definately recommended even if you don't normally read fantasy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7