Profile for Mrs. G. J. Metcalfe > Reviews

Content by Mrs. G. J. Met...

Mrs. G. J. Metcalfe "helygen" (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson
Deep Sleep with Andrew Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars very helpful relaxation and sleep app, 10 Mar 2014
I'm a week into the recommended three week initial period, using the sleep programme at bed time, and I'm already finding that I fall asleep sooner than usual (often before the end of the short programme). I have problems staying asleep, and I'm still waking every two hours or so, but I've noticed that I can get back to sleep much more quickly. After only a week, I'm already impressed. My only niggle with the app is that there's no 'back' button, which means exiting the app then reopening it to get back to the menu.

I-46 - Black - Dr Doctor Who Police Box TV Show - iPhone 4 / 4s Hard Case - Plastic - Xmas / Birthday Gift
Offered by TheGiftSquad

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 8 Dec 2013
The TARDIS graphic is perfectly placed so that the camera doesn't impact on it (a defect in other designs).
My only concern is that I'm not sure how much protection it will provide, should I drop my phone, but I'm giving it five stars because I love the look of it :)

Xtrememac InCharge Auto - Black - EU
Xtrememac InCharge Auto - Black - EU
Offered by Star e-shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't work, 8 Dec 2013
This charger won't work for my iPhone 4 in my Mazda 2.

Having read the other reviews, it would seem that the charger is only compatible with certain devices, and/or certain cars.

If I was the manufacturer, I'd provide a list of compatible devices and cars, to avoid further negative feedback!

Opposites [Explicit]
Opposites [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Biffy Clyro - excellence is what they do, 24 May 2013
Love this album. Love every track. Love the band. Love their music. Buy it now! What more can I say?

Doodle Jump Free
Doodle Jump Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandson loves it, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Doodle Jump Free (App)
Excellent graphics and music, a very entertaining strategy game - bought for my eight year old grandson who plays it daily

Star Wars Epi Anakin Pod Racer
Star Wars Epi Anakin Pod Racer
Offered by Niche Gift Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 May 2013
Excellent condition, arrived in very good time. Bought as a birthday gift for my grandson, who was thrilled with it, especially as I'd bought him the Anakin figure to sit in it. That's my only 'complaint' about this item - everyone expected Anakin to be in the box

Single Father [DVD]
Single Father [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

5.0 out of 5 stars Single Father - watch out for it at the BAFTAs next year!, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Single Father [DVD] (DVD)
I can't review the DVD as it hasn't yet been released, but I've seen one episode of this wonderful drama and am basing my review on that.

If you haven't yet seen "Single Father" (the first episode aired on BBC1 on 10 October 2010) then I urge you to do so. With clever camera work, a brilliant script, and sublime performances from all involved, the story unfolds at a hectic pace but it is not without moments of humour, and quiet reflection. We're almost literally thrown into the middle of a normal, chaotic, modern young family, and the issues that are addressed are done so with brutal yet sympathetic honesty. The whole cast bring a breathtaking realism to their characters with astonishing skill, particularly in the more emotional scenes, and Murray Gold's wonderful music score threads itself through the emotional roller-coaster of the unfolding events.

This is unmissable, five-star, award-winning drama, showcasing the best of British talent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2010 10:38 AM BST

DAVID TENNANT - Original Art Print (A4 - Signed by the Artist) #js002
DAVID TENNANT - Original Art Print (A4 - Signed by the Artist) #js002
Offered by Seasons Original Art

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous artwork, 29 Aug 2010
Very impressed! Whilst I was at first disappointed that the print seems a little blurry, I'm assured that this is the effect intended by the artist in the original work, and it doesn't detract from the amazing accuracy and stunning detail of this portrait. It truly is a gorgeous piece of work, and it looks great on a white background in a simple black frame.

I was also impressed with the packaging - the print was well protected in a robust cardboard envelope with extra sheets inside to prevent any bending - and with the speed with which the print was dispatched.

David Tennant a Year in the Spotlight
David Tennant a Year in the Spotlight
by Sue Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative, 29 Nov 2009
This book is a must-have for all fans of David Tennant. It is crammed with information, articles, anecdotes, reviews and quotes, and it's presented in a very easy-to-read style. Some of the images are disappointingly small but they don't detract from the enjoyment of the book, and there are many original colour photos to compensate. With David Tennant's career continuing to flourish, I hope that this is the first in a series of similar books.

Heat (Buffy-Angel)
Heat (Buffy-Angel)
by Nancy Holder

5.0 out of 5 stars Heat, 3 July 2004
This review is from: Heat (Buffy-Angel) (Hardcover)
Just to redress the balance, these reviews appear elsewhere ...
Dream On:
Yes, it's true season 7 isn't the picture or perfection for the star crossed lovers, but the thing is, when you say "star crossed lovers" in the Buffyverse, you don't think anything but B/A. And whether or not the producers of the show were able to collaborate so that both shows were completely insync with Buffy's death and Angel's disappearence, the fact remains that two episodes in season 3 held so much more love, lust, and emotion than any given season of Spike's appearence. This book was right about that, Buffy and Angel are in love forever no matter how much Spuffy fans would like to delude themselves. Of course there are some gaps as anyone with a mind of their own would draw up different conclusions that are left in the shows on purpose, but overall the book is good on keeping any major changes out. BUY THIS BOOK, you won't regret it.

A long time Buffy the vampire and Angel fan:
Wow! I loved this book.
Nancy did an excellent job writing consistent and interesting characters. Stays within the Universe very well.
For all you lovers of the epic romance between Buffy and Angel, her chosen cursed vampire, you won't be disappointed. Buffy stays true to her heart.
This is one of the best ones yet.

From a non 'shippers point of view:
As someone who isn't a diehard B/A or B/S 'shipper, I figured it might help to shed some light on what I think about this book. Unfortunately, I think many people base their judgements on television based books (such as Buffy, Angel, Smallville, etc) on their own opinions about the show and where it should go. I know many very passionate fans who are adamantly Buffy/Angel and others Buffy/Spike. Frankly, who Buffy ended up with was never as important to me as the actual ongoing battle between good and evil.
This book is excellent, end of story. The show split up Buffy and Angel to make two different shows. The fact that Buffy didn't show up over on Angel when he's trapped at the bottom of the ocean seems more an inability to do a cross over with Sarah Michelle Gellar than a testament of Buffy no longer caring about Angel. In my opinion, this is one of the hardest challenges facing an author doing some type of series spin-off: Trying to keep everyone happy...and it's not going to happen.
This books demonstrates Nancy Holder's dedication and love for the two shows by her willingness to take chances with characters and relationships we know so well. How many times have the show's writers not thrown people for a loop with character deaths or major switches in relationships? Ms. Holder is keeping the series alive and fresh as far as I'm concerned. She writes with detail and earnestness that I'm sure is straight from her heart. The story is told beautifully and with originality that other Buffy/Angel authors are losing. I only pray that she continues to use her talents so well!

Page: 1 | 2