Profile for Freelance writer/editor > Reviews

Content by Freelance writ...

Freelance writer/editor (Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2
Lloytron L1101WH 20 Watt Halo Reach Task Lamp, White
Lloytron L1101WH 20 Watt Halo Reach Task Lamp, White
Offered by Bright Sparks Store

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these halogen desk lights, 9 Jun. 2016
I love these halogen desk lights, and work with one either side of my computer even in good daylight. They're flexible, create little heat, and put the light exactly where you need it. I used to be able to buy them locally but apparently no more, so it's great to have a source online. Brilliant!

ELEGIANT Portable Hard Disk Drive Shockproof Zipper Cover Bag Case 2.5" HDD Bag(Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Black and blue!, 29 Mar. 2016
I have two of these cases now, a black one and a blue one. I bought the first to hold a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus bought at the same time month or so ago, and was very pleased with it -- it's robust enough for normal travelling, and holds the drive and cable with enough space remaining for a screen cleaning cloth. Then I bought another to protect an older Seagate Backup Plus (also 1TB) bought maybe two years ago. This is much tighter fit, as the drive is both longer and thicker, but it still does up .... just!

Having cases available in different colours is a real bonus if you wants to back up different items to different disks. And the price is certainly right!

2m 2 Metre SVGA / VGA Monitor Cable Lead Black 15 pin male to male Gold Contacts
Offered by rhinocables

4.0 out of 5 stars It works fine, but was a bit difficult to attach because ..., 8 Jan. 2016
It works fine, but was a bit difficult to attach because the screws on these things are always difficult to grip, and one was very stiff and needed a fine pair of pliers. Hence four stars instead of five.

Set 2 Over Door Hooks Hanger Handy Ironing Drying Laundry Hanging Space Saver
Set 2 Over Door Hooks Hanger Handy Ironing Drying Laundry Hanging Space Saver

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted they're still available, 15 July 2015
I find these invaluable for drying shirts and sweaters on hangers -- in fact for hanging all kinds of clothes whether waiting for ironing or not. I've used them for years, and only needed to buy more because I took a couple on holiday and forgot to bring them back. Delighted they're still available!

London's Lost Jewels: The Cheapside Hoard
London's Lost Jewels: The Cheapside Hoard
by Hazel Forsyth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 27 Dec. 2013
Having read glowing reviews of the 'Cheapside Hoard' exhibition at the City of London Museum, I've already bought a timed ticket to see it on one of my rare visits to the capital. As I believe strongly that an exhibition is far more interesting if you've read the guide book before you go, I was delighted to find LONDON'S LOST JEWELS available on Amazon. It's far exceeded my expectations, however, as despite author Hazel Forsyth being curator of the exhibition this is far more than just a guide book, albeit a beautifully illustrated one.

Briefly, the 'Hoard' comprises thousands of jewels and pieces of jewellery buried under Goldsmith's Row (just east of St Pauls Cathedral) sometime between 1640 and 1666. No-one knows who buried them, why, or -- perhaps most intriguingly -- why they never retrieved them. Those 26 years which saw the Civil War, the Great Plague and the Fire of London are among the most traumatic that London has ever known (only rivalled by the Blitz), and any of those -- or something entirely different -- could provide the answer. We'll probably never know. What the reader of LONDON'S LOST JEWELS will know by the time they reach page 223, however, is a great deal about the jewellery trade of Elizabethan and Jacobean England, a good deal about individual named jewellers and their wealthy patrons, and a fair bit about the political and social climate of the times.

Did I already remark that the book is beautifully illustrated? Printed on high-quality paper in full colour (except for a few mono prints and cuttings) the sheer beauty of many of the jewels dominates the page. Although some of the pieces appear to have been damaged before they were hidden -- perhaps they'd been brought to a jeweller for repair? -- and most of the pearls have degraded with time, many other pieces are perfect, their 350 or so years underground having left their gold and stones unmarked. Jem cutting and setting styles have changed with time, leaving the majority of the pieces unique, though similar ones can be seen paintings of the period, many of which are reproduced here.

All in all, I was left wondering who I admired the most -- the 17th century craftsmen who created such beautiful work, or the 21st century author who had made it possible for so many of us non-Londoners to admire them. Highly recommended, whether or not you have a chance to visit the exhibition before it closes in April 2014.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2014 11:44 PM GMT

Folding picnic table in teak
Folding picnic table in teak

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay ... but not brilliant, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Folding picnic table in teak
I was looking for a folding garden table similar to one I'd seen in Portugal (which came from Ikea). They don't seem to stock it them in England, so I bought this instead. It's not so good -- much heavier and less well made, and as the timber ranges from yellow through to grey I suspect it's not teak at all but Afromosia. On the plus, side it's reasonably sturdy and fine for putting drinks or snacks on. And if I really can't stand the colour I can always paint it to match my garden bench!

First Portuguese Reader for beginners bilingual for speakers of English (Graded Portuguese Readers Livro 1) (Portuguese Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ambivalent, 8 May 2013
I bought the Kindle version, and it's quite handy for occupying odd moments with a bit of revision. However I'm doubtful that it would be of much use to a beginner (particularly the Kindle version, which has no facility to jump to the dictionaries at the end). Despite calling itself a FIRST PORTUGUESE READER FOR BEGINNERS it assumes reasonable knowledge of Portuguese grammar such a verb endings and the confusing (to Brits) need for definite and indefinite articles to tally with their subject in both quantity and gender ... and the way words combine to make other words with (often) a slightly different meaning.

It's a pity the English translations weren't run past a native English speaker, as some jar slightly, and I've noticed the odd typo in Portuguese -- repetition of 'hoje' (today) in the first paragraph of section 7, for instance. It's rather annoying that one's unable to move forwards and backwards by sections, only by single pages, and even more so that it's tagged as "English" in the Kindle Store so you can't set it to look things up in a Portuguese dictionary -- that really is crazy! Even so, I intend to press on, at least until my Grade 3 GCSE Portuguese is no longer up to the task, but don't think I'd buy it again.

Rambling Under Sail
Rambling Under Sail

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light reading, 8 May 2013
I really enjoyed RAMBLING UNDER SAIL (deliberate homage to the Hiscocks there) and cannot think of a better use for £2.06 .... or was it £2.08? Less than a glass in your local sailing club, anyway.

I have an advantage in that I know Steve so can imagine him (or his slightly younger self) in many of the situations he describes, but so many of them could happen to any of us -- if we had his courage and initiative -- that it's hard to imagine any sailor not enjoying this book. Steve writes extremely well, and though I spotted a few typos (RAMBLING UNDER SAIL is self-published) there were no more than in most commercial productions.

Most of the chapters cover individual incidents, making it great for dipping into, and my only regret is that it's only available on Kindle. Oh and that I didn't find the pictures until I reached the end. You can flip forward chapter by chapter so it's worth taking a look at them early on.

It does stop kind of abruptly, but "The End (for now)" almost promises a volume two. I'll be first in the queue!

The Portuguese:A Modern History
The Portuguese:A Modern History
by Barry Hatton

5.0 out of 5 stars A real insight, 22 April 2013
I read this book recently while in Lisbon and found it fascinating. There are plenty of straightforward 'histories' available, and several that concentrate on specific events, periods or characters, but though excellent in their way they don't give the visitor any real insight into the national psyche. Barry Hatton certainly does, and though many of his opinions are subjective they ring very true in my experience over numerous visits during the past 15 years or so.

The author moved to Portugal in the mid 1980s, the decade after the 1974 Revolution, and is particularly strong on both the Revolution and its aftermath. As a foreigner - albeit with a Portuguese wife (and in-laws) and locally-educated children, not to mention a fluent command of Portuguese - he may actually be better placed to examine this pivotal event from all angles than a native Lisboeta.

I frequently found myself nodding my head in agreement - at his wry observation that so many normally calm and polite Portuguese suffer a character change as soon as they get behind the wheel of a car, for instance, not to mention regarding their amazing, free range, parking habits!

As one still struggling to get to grips with the language I feel Barry Hatton's insights have really helped me understand the Portuguese, one important aspect of which is not to inadvertently give offence ... do I kiss on one cheek, two, or perhaps three?!

Highly recommended.

Pencil, Paper and Stars: The Handbook of Traditional and Emergency Navigation (Wiley Nautical)
by Alastair Buchan

1.0 out of 5 stars Frankly terrible!, 6 Feb. 2013
In my opinion, this book should never have been published. I was supposed to be reviewing it for a sailing magazine, but gave up after page 74 on which he says that the phases of the moon are caused by the earth's shadow -- surely most ten-year-olds know that's an eclipse? He also says that DR stands for Direct Reckoning (it should be Deduced or 'Dead' Reckoning), spells Terceira incorrectly, gets the instructions for magnetising a sewing needle totally muddled, etc ... and that was all prior to page 74! The diagrams are clear but many are mis-labelled, and although that may be the fault of whoever drew them, it's the author's responsibility to check.

I have to agree, however, that it's wise to know what to do should the electronics fail (the only reason he gets a star at all). So could I recommend EMERGENCY NAVIGATION by David Burch, THE BAREFOOT NAVIGATOR by Jack Lagan or any of Tristan Gooley's THE NATURAL NAVIGATOR series. Just don't waste your money on this book!

Page: 1 | 2