Profile for A. Crawford > Reviews

Content by A. Crawford

A. Crawford (York, England)

Stomp The Yard [DVD] [2007]
Stomp The Yard [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Columbus Short
Offered by figswigs
Price: 4.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I was watching a different film!, 28 Jun 2010
This review is from: Stomp The Yard [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I bought this film for my girlfriend for her birthday since she generally loves dance films but we all (both of us and two friends) thought it was terrible. The plot was mundane and ultra, ultra predictable - not even bad enough to make it humorous I'm afraid. There were zero comedy moments too.
As for the dancing, we didn't get how anybody thought the dancing was impressive. Street tap dance appears to be the style and they seem to enjoy slapping their torso's in the style of gorillas to make it all seem a bit more manly. Don't expect great displays of athletics or gymnastics - just people stamping their feet quickly, that's all you get (except for the very first scene which actually has about 2 minutes of impressive and promising looking stuff in it).
There's also plenty of slow motion shots of peoples' mouths hanging opening in a chimpanzee like fashion and pulling bizarre expressions, so if you like your dancing with a hint of gurning then maybe this is the film for you after all.
If you're looking for enjoyment, watch an episode of "So you think you can dance" instead. You'll be much more impressed than you will be wasting nearly 2 hours of your life on this film.

Revo iBlik Wi-Fi Internet FM iPod Radio & Alarm Clock
Revo iBlik Wi-Fi Internet FM iPod Radio & Alarm Clock

3.0 out of 5 stars Depends what you want it for, 20 Aug 2009
I bought this for my bedroom so that I could stream music from my Buffalo Linkstation NAS. Unfortunately, its WiFi reception wasn't the best in the world and it kept losing reception (to be fair, it's on the limit of the Wi-Fi network range, 9m away through about 3 walls). I'll forgive it then that I couldn't use it where I wanted it.
So, it's been moved to the kitchen where it acts as a very nice little kitchen radio. Internet radio is nice, even if the sound quality isn't amazing (I'd largely blame it on the station rather than the iBlik). That said, navigating around your PC or NAS collection is a pain. There's no option to scroll quickly through albums or artist so you have to repeatedly hammer the up/down button for a while to get what you want. Also, playing by Artist/Album, the damn thing plays tracks in alphabetical order by the ID3 tag! There's numbers on the front of the files and the ID3 tag has a tracknumber, they just choose to ignore it and play alphabetically (hmmph!). Playing by folder structure sorts that issue if you have a well organised MP3 collection in the format Artist/Album/TrackNo. - TrackName. If you encoded using something that doesn't do that for you though you'll never get your tracks played in the right order from a PC or NAS.
MP3 playback from an iPod is good. Annoyingly good - sound quality from the iTouch (playing the same mp3 as on my NAS) is much better, which leads me to think the decoder on the iBlik isn't as good as the mp3 decoder on the iPod. Not a great sign for a music player.
Although iPhones aren't technically supported, it will play and charge my girlfriend's iPhone, it just claims the phone will interfere (ignore the warning and you're still good to play your tunes).
As an all round digital radio for the kitchen, it's pretty good but it definitely has its flaws if you want to use it as your main digital player and aren't just interested in it as an iPod dock / very basic internet radio.