Profile for M. Nelson > Reviews

Content by M. Nelson

M. Nelson "aphra" (Suffolk, UK)

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD + Digital Copy)
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (DVD + Digital Copy)
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 30 Jun 2012
I go to the cinema with a friend who's in her 70s and I'm in my 60s. The day we went to see this, the cinema was full of oldies like us, all hugely enjoying it. I'm not interested in action movies or gore-fests that bore me to tears. It's good to see films like this - sheer escapism. I imagine that the cast enjoyed themselves too.

It's Complicated [DVD] (2009)
It's Complicated [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars I wonder how old you have to be to enjoy this?, 30 Jun 2012
Went to see this with a friend who's in her 70s, and I'm in my 60s. We laughed like drains. I wonder how old the other reviewers are, because I suspect it might appeal more to older viewers.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 10:34 PM GMT

Silverline 633400 Folding Box Trolley 25kg
Silverline 633400 Folding Box Trolley 25kg
Price: 15.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as robust as I expected., 2 Mar 2012
Ordered this as a gift. Learned that the first time it was used, the plastic split above one of the handles when it was picked up. I was assured that it wasn't over-loaded.

Manual of The Warrior of Light
Manual of The Warrior of Light
by Paulo Coelho
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel nauseous, 31 July 2008
An anonymous person sent me this book as a gift. S/he must have though it would benefit me in some way, or maybe s/he was just having a laugh. S/he needn't have bothered. It's meaningless, but sounds meaningful. Not since reading Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet" have I come across such pretentious twaddle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2013 12:30 PM BST

Victorinox - Tomato Knife 11cm
Victorinox - Tomato Knife 11cm
Offered by Knives Master
Price: 4.90

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable kitchen tool, 13 Sep 2007
I read about a chef who said he'd never go anywhere without one of these, and now I can see why. Light, sharp and brilliant at slicing tomatoes and lots of other fruit and veg.

A di Alessi Kitchen Timer, Cream, (A09 WI)
A di Alessi Kitchen Timer, Cream, (A09 WI)
Offered by Cadeaux Gifts
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat little gadget, 8 Aug 2007
After breaking two cheap timers in as many months - they just fell apart - it seems liked a good idea to pay more for quality. This one comes with a guarantee. The cream colour matches my kitchen and the design is pleasing.

Against All Gods: Six Polemics on Religion and an Essay on Kindness (Oberon Masters)
by A. C. Grayling
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book, 8 Aug 2007
I'm thinking of buying copies as gifts for people who don't appear to understand the meaning of secularism, or who keep going on about Prof Richard Dawkins and others being 'fundamentalist atheists' (there's no such thing, says Grayling). I like the contents and I like the neat little hard-back binding.

Freeplay X-Ray Wind-Up & Rechargeable Torch - Crystal Clear - Dual Filament Bulb

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 8 Jan 2007
Does exactly what it says and looks good too. Pleased to dispense with all those non-environmentally-friendly disposable batteries. Only slight criticism: would like a handle that's easier to hold while walking the dog - I'm afraid of dropping the torch as it's quite slippery, especially while wearing gloves.

The Oxford Book of Death (Oxford Books of Prose)
The Oxford Book of Death (Oxford Books of Prose)
by D.J. Enright

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource, 30 April 2005
Was very pleased to see this had been reprinted, as my battered copy was disintegrating. It's an excellent resource for funeral officiants and a fascinating anthology - strongly recommended.