Profile for L. Snizek > Reviews

Content by L. Snizek

L. Snizek (UK)

D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N 300Mbps wireless Cable Router - 4 Port 10/100 Switch & Xbox Live service compatibility
Offered by TriStar Electronics Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent router, 5 Jan. 2010
I used to use Belkin Pre-N router, but it required rebooting way too often (for various reasons), up to several times a week.

I've had this DIR-615 for more than a year now and it usually needs rebooting once a month tops. Signal quality is perfect in our 3-floor Victorian terrace house.

Yes, the LAN ports are 100Mb/s only. For heavy use you will need a gigabit switch too.

Features worth noting:
* QoS engine (prioritise game traffic - improves latency for action games)
* DHCP reservations (IP addresses reservations based on MAC addresses)
* list of open connections (so that you can look which of your flatmates is trashing the connection this time)
* save all settings to a file so that you can do total reset
* MAC address filter (to cut off flatmates when they bring your broadband to a halt or to protect your network from uninvited guests)
* website filter (to block websites from your children)

Gelert Velocity 30 Litre Daysac
Gelert Velocity 30 Litre Daysac
Offered by Real Outdoors

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but small, 5 Jan. 2010
As said before, this rucksack appears less than 30 litres. I use it anyway.

It opens on the sides which is practical.

Koss UR40 Lightweight Over-Ear Stereo Headphones for iPod, iPhone, MP3 and Smartphone - Silver
Offered by CleverKit

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent headphones, 5 Jan. 2010
I've had these headphones for a few months now and they're fine.

I have another pair at home which I bought more than 5 years ago, so I have some long term experience too.

In terms of sound quality, the bass is weak, which is probably due to construction of the headphones. It's not really bad at all - I play bass myself and I use these headphones to practice. To me it sounds like it's lacking in sub 40-50Hz range.

I love the way they fold - it collapses into a small ball. The cable is very very thin and the jack is miniature (for iPods and stuff like that). The cable could be 50cm longer I have to say.

Koss' lifetime warranty is awesome - I've used it once when I broke my first UR40 and my retailer simply replaced it.

After few years, the L/R marks will wear out, the aluminium-like finish will become seriously scratched and the outer skin of the foam padding will basically disappear. None of that was a major problem for me.

4 stars

Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
Logitech G9 Laser Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper mouse, 5 Jan. 2010
I use Mighty Mouse most of the time and only switch to G9 for games, so for me it's a shock each time. The resolution is massive.

It's nice and heavy, even though I would welcome even more weights than it comes with.

The shape was no problem for me, got used to it very quickly. Not suitable for left handers.

Buttons are fast enough, faster than my fingers anyway.

The only objection I have is that the cable is very stiff and that sometimes causes the mouse to be pulled by it, which is quite annoying. That's why I will give it 4 stars only.

Western Digital Elements Portable Hard Drive - Black (640GB USB 2.0)
Western Digital Elements Portable Hard Drive - Black (640GB USB 2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good hard drive, 5 Jan. 2010
This hard drive works perfectly for me. I use it with various Mac computers. It's very quiet, light and its' design is visibly Apple influenced (if that makes a difference to you).

It stops spinning when you eject it on the computer, which is handy, because it means you don't have to physically come to it in order to switch it off.

I've had it for a few months now and had no problem with it whatsoever.

Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor
Plug-In Power and Energy Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good meter, 5 Jan. 2010
Useful gadget to have. It helped me find out that some devices in my home don't really switch off despite claiming to be switched off.

I wouldn't leave the meter in the socket permanently - it says it can take up to 20W itself! I don't know much about high power electricity, but that sounds like a lot to me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2014 12:25 PM BST

Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black
Salter Disc Electronic Digital Kitchen Scale - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scale, 5 Jan. 2010
I am totally satisfied with this scale. It appears accurate enough and doesn't take much space in your cupboard.

Often I cover the display with the item that's being measured, but that's better than if the display was vertical and one had to bend down each time to take the measure.

I've had this scale for a few months now and had no problems with it.

Planet Waves Planet Lock Guitar Strap - Black
Planet Waves Planet Lock Guitar Strap - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome mechanism, 5 Jan. 2010
As said before, this saves you from installing locks and works great (can't compare with actual locks, but so far I never had any accident with Planet Waves)

Definitely worth the money. The black version is decent enough to go with natural wood basses.

Plus it allows Victor Wooten guitar spinning stunts.

Neet® Optical Microfibre SCREEN / LENS Cleaning Cloth - 30cm x 30cm - Suitable for Plasma, LCD, TFT, Camera Lens, iPhone, iPad, Auto etc.
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for black Apple cloth, 5 Jan. 2010
I needed a spare black Apple cloth but couldn't figure out how to get one. This cloth works equally well and it's bigger. It also comes in a protective sleeve so that it doesn't catch regular dust when not in use.