Profile for N. Rutherford > Reviews

Antonio Puig Quorum Aftershave 100 ml
Antonio Puig Quorum Aftershave 100 ml
Offered by PerfumeShopping
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars No moisturiser: not good for shaving. Uninspiring smell., 14 Nov 2013
I bought this as part of a first foray into this kind of thing, and have tried a few alternatives since, but basically I'm no expert.

If you're planning on using this as an after-shave rather than just a scent I suggest trying something else. Yes it will burn a bit and kill some germs, but it won't do your skin any favours. I had better results with the Adidas Ice Dive aftershave found in a supermarket, and in the end switched to a balm/lotion/cream.

Scent is of course subjective, but I wasn't impressed. For a bit more money you can get more interesting ones. If it's not for shaving I'd suggest looking at Eau de Toilette rather than aftershave.

This could be appropriate as a stocking filler for a younger relative, but I'd suggest trying it before buying a bigger bottle.

LINDY Computer Technician Precision Screwdriver Set
LINDY Computer Technician Precision Screwdriver Set
Offered by Renshaw House
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, compact, effective, 20 Mar 2013
Just the job for laptop upgrades. Packs into a bag or suitcase without issue. Seems good quality for the price. The rotating ends make it more comfortable to apply pressure with your palm if you need to remove a particularly tight screw.

Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive
Price: 125.99

5.0 out of 5 stars MBP upgrade, 20 Mar 2013
Rather than paying Apple over-the-odds (more than already) for a SSD I decided to make the switch myself. I've now been using this disk for 3 months and noticed significant performance benefits over an old-fashioned hard drive & had no problems.

I can't compare with other SSDs as it's my first, but the tech reviews I read beforehand were quite positive.

Corsair CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9 Value Select 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333 Mhz CL9 Mainstream Notebook Memory Kit
Offered by Kikatek
Price: 129.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap 2012 MBP upgrade, 20 Mar 2013
I bought this to upgrade a 2012 Macbook Pro to 16GB (above Apple's offering for a lower price). It works just fine, and gave a substantial performance boost.

Eastpak Suitcase Transfer S, 50 cm, 42 liters, Mental Brown, EK66123E
Eastpak Suitcase Transfer S, 50 cm, 42 liters, Mental Brown, EK66123E

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic bag, 12 Jan 2013
This case is great at (at least) two things: carrying clothes, and carrying (small) books.

Clothes pack tidily into 2 sections so they won't fall out when you open the case. Now that I've seen how useful the sectioning and zip covers are I don't mind them so much.

Books seem to fit without end into the expanding area at the front. It's a bit difficult to push them in through the lip (it's not a proper opening or zip), but this also makes them less likely to fall out.

I've been able to pack my winter sales items (jeans, shirts, ..) and a good number of books into it for my return journey to school/work. The wheels are a blessing. Just the job. I'm looking forward to seeing how it is for short breaks involving air travel.

One thing I was doubtful about is the internal zip partitioning. The inside is split cleanly into 2 zip-up sections. This is great for stopping your clothes falling out when you open the bag, but it's could be an issue if you want to pack many large items. I expect a couple of bottles of wine would be ok, but haven't tried that yet. Anyway, it's not intended to be a full-size suitcase or furniture removal van.

Be sure to check the different colour options so you get a good price. At time of writing the brown and red bags were cheap, despite looking quite nice.

MediaDevil Magicwand (Regular edition) capacitive touch screen stylus (Blue version) for Apple iPad 1, 2, 3 & 4 / iPhone 4, 4S & 5 / Samsung Galaxy range / Google Nexus range / ASUS / HTC / Nokia / BlackBerry / Microsoft, Tablets, Phones (see compatibility list)
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 14.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Targus, 8 July 2012
Works better than the Targus stylus I picked up from a store for twice the price.
I had trouble previously with screen contact not being registered, but with this stylus I have had no such problems & can easily write in Bamboo Paper and similar apps.

On top of that, the merchant was a pleasure to deal with.

Update: if you want to write on an iPad I recommend you try the Adonit Jot Pro (or another of their pens), as they give better results than the rubber-tipped ones. Either way, the iPad wasn't designed for this kind of input, so the result is not quite like paper.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 6 Feb 2012
Good for the price: well built and good sound quality, though as people have mentioned there are some niggles.

Regarding them being small and uncomfortable, there is some truth to this. They do have an adjustable headband, but this doesn't stop them squashing your ears if you have big ears - the problem here is the size of the cup not how tight it's being worn. Adjusting it helps a bit, of course, but it doesn't solve the problem. I think you get used to this, but it's not ideal.

Sound quality is good; I'm not an expert, but I do care about this for music and games, and think the HiFi properties are quite ok.

The cables are also a bit strange; they have a long cord, which might be good or bad for you, but I don't like how they split at the chin - it's easy to catch your hand or something here and damage the wiring. That said, mine have survived the week, and I'm hoping to use them for the next few years.

The Penguin Guide to Punctuation (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Guide to Punctuation (Penguin Reference Books)
by R L Trask
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, to the point, 23 Jan 2012
Having picked this up with some other penguin reference books some months ago, I just turned to it to clear up a proof-reading squabble over ; : and - in a PhD application. The book cleared things up quickly, with concise explanation and helpful examples. I find it to be well written, compact, easy to understand, and most importantly very well structured! Highly recommended for checking usage in serious writing, such as applications and publications.

The Penguin Dictionary of English Grammar (Penguin Reference Books)
The Penguin Dictionary of English Grammar (Penguin Reference Books)
by R L Trask
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed cover, smells like a book, clear definitions, 18 Oct 2011
I think I'll be using this one a lot, given that Swales and Feak throw grammar around as though people learn it in school.
I've found the definitions to be brief yet accessible.

The Complete Plain Words
The Complete Plain Words
by Sir Ernest Gowers

5.0 out of 5 stars A sound counterpoint for any academic writing course, 18 Oct 2011
I have found this book to be full of useful discussion of style, cliches, and basic punctuation. The examples and discussion are really great. The bit about science and technology is quite funny too, given how dated it is. Nevertheless, it's still relevant.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3