Profile for Andrew Marson > Reviews

Content by Andrew Marson

Andrew Marson "marsonpee" (united kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Roberts Blutune 60 CD/DAB/DAB+/FM/USB Bluetooth Stereo Sound System
Roberts Blutune 60 CD/DAB/DAB+/FM/USB Bluetooth Stereo Sound System
Offered by Hughes Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Blutune 60, 27 Feb 2014
I must admit upon ordering this and reading reviews and the marketing blurb I was expecting more. The radio does what it says in the tin: it plays dab,fm,cd,aux and bluetooth. I do however have a fair few quality issues with one of the top of the line products from a 'luxury' brand.
Firstly the sound quality is nothing to get excited about, it lacks punch and sounds very thin. Think a slight improvement on a cheap £15 cd radio book box and you're almost there. Bass is almost non existent and there is no built in EQ to sort things out and get any vibrancy back.
The whole unit and accessories feel very cheap and poor quality. The push buttons on top are very clicky and don't have any feedback or feel of quality. Pick up the unit and it's very light and made of thin plastic. The speaker components would usually weigh a good bit but as described earlier they aren't that great.
The remote control is a thin lightweight tiny item with similar cheap clicky. With buttons underneath a printed plastic sheet. I can't imagine this lasting too long without cracking or having to use a stiletto to force buttons to do anything.
I have had this a month and really tried to like it and wondered if it was just me or my music, but trying out all sorts of media formats, genres and devices it has failed to impressed and will eventually move it to a spare room or the kitchen.
I would seriously hunt around for other alternatives, we have a £60 sony ipod dock in the kitchen that's a whole different league to this with decent punchy sound, good quality feel and decent proper remote control.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 7:17 PM GMT

Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop
Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop

2.0 out of 5 stars Requires improvement, 7 Mar 2013
Overall a good product, it works when it's not broken. I sent my first one back because the handle snapped off due to the metal handle only held by a few plastic clips. Also the spray mechanism sticks every new and then and doesn't dispense. The clothes are good quality though, they wash well and clean most floors very well.

Edit: the replacement mop had broken as well. There is definitely a design flaw with this product and for the price I expect better.

Canon PIXMA MG3250 All-in-One Colour Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Wi-Fi and Auto Duplex)
Offered by Cool Deals UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for iOS devices, 7 Mar 2013
Quite simply a great printer for Apple Airprint enabled devices. We use the full range with no problems so far (iPods, iPhone 4S, ipad 3) and also use with a normal windows 7 netbook.
Ink seems to be lasting well even on the sampler cartridges included.
The printer is also very quiet in operation so this may be beneficial in some households or small offices.
Overall I would really recommend, we have used Canon products for years.

Backpacker's Britain: Northern England
Backpacker's Britain: Northern England
by Graham Uney

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a start, 7 Mar 2013
As a starting point this book is full of ideas and that's where it gets its 3 positive stars from. However the "maps" covering each route are very vague, and I mean vague. They are not OS and basically are a few squiggles with a couple of features drawn on. I can guarantee that you will spend at least an hour trying to make sense of the authors route and plotting it on a more detailed map.
Something to point out is I would like to point out is that all but 1 of the routes are 2 day (1 night) routes which might not be helpful to some people. The one 3 day route however was very good as we did it last weekend as a wild camp.
A minor gripe I would also like to point out is that all distances are in km, so every time I look at a walk I have to convert it to miles. Very strange considering most other walking guides have both units.
Overall it's a book more for inspiration than a walking guide. If some more detailed maps were added and maybe a few more longer routes (or even extended variations to walks) then it would be a 5 star book as I can't fault the actual walk itself.

Incipio iPhone 4S EDGE Hard Shell Slider Case, Olive Camo
Incipio iPhone 4S EDGE Hard Shell Slider Case, Olive Camo

4.0 out of 5 stars exactly what you want from a cover, 8 Sep 2012
This cover is great. It offers good protection without being in the way. The removeable bottom is very handy for docks and accessories.
The case feels nice to the touch, it is made of plastic but is "soft-touch" and has a good grippy feel to it.
Protection wise I have dropped my phone twice onto hard floors with multiple bounces on impact and so far it has prevented damage to it combined with a screen film protector.
My only minor minor gripe is that the headphone cutout is fairly small, it however poses no problems for the majority of headphones but wider jacks could pose a problem for some.
I was a bit weary of buying this as there were no reviews but am pleased I went for it.

Griffin Survivor Military Tested Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Griffin Survivor Military Tested Case for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by eoutlet-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than otterbox, 17 Jun 2012
My overall impressions of this product are pretty good. I bought it to replace an otterbox defender I had for 2 days and had already started ripping because of thin silicone.

This is a similar width but is slightly deeper. It is not huuuuge like a lot of people suggest, it easily slides in and out of my pocket. It may be tricky if you have skinny jeans though I guess.

What I take off 1 star for are 2 design problems:

The first one is the camera flap, sometimes it really wont come out to reveal the lense.
Also unless you have a thin audio jack then it wont fit through the hole.
I can't plug the iphone into my external speakers at the moment until I replace the lead.

Other things to note is that it works best to put it in your pocket with the dock connector facing down, and the phone's back against your thigh. This means that you should not hit the home button and also when you pull it out your pocket the flaps wont open on the top.

Overall I'm happy with the product and would buy again.

OtterBox Defender Case for Apple iPhone 4S - Gunmetal Grey PC/Envy Green IMS
OtterBox Defender Case for Apple iPhone 4S - Gunmetal Grey PC/Envy Green IMS

2.0 out of 5 stars sub standard, 16 Jun 2012
Bought this item due to lots of good reviews of all colour styles, however I am very disappointed.
The silicon on the product is what lets it down, it is very thin and already started to rip on the port covers when carefully fitting it (if you watch the video he's quite rough/firm with it) Additionally the silicon doesn't fit flush/snug to the plastic shell and looks a little untidy and ill-fitting. I couldn't imagine this lasting very long, and one catch in your pocket and the silicon would probably rip off.
What stops me giving it 1 star is that it does look and feel nice. If they had decent silicon and better manufacturing tolerances then i'm sure it could end up being a good product. I really don't know what planet other reviewers are on! - Mine is going to be sent back to Amazon.

I would advise against this and choose the "Griffin Survivor" case which I have picked up to replace it with. It is a similar size in width but is a little deeper, but feels like a tougher rubber/silicon.

Source Hydration Liquitainer - 2 litre
Source Hydration Liquitainer - 2 litre
Offered by Runmarkt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for so long, 11 Jun 2012
I liked the design of this product, it sits upright when filled and folds small when not used. Unfortunately when folded it does crease and over time it now leaks at one of the creases where the plastic has weakened. I have had it 2 yrs and use it occasionally for hiking/backpacking. More frequent users may end up disappointed with it. I have had 2 yrs from and am still using it but with caution to avoid leaks.

Nespresso Arpeggio Capsules (Nespresso Machines - 10 capsules)
Nespresso Arpeggio Capsules (Nespresso Machines - 10 capsules)
Offered by Coffee Makers

5.0 out of 5 stars Nespresso's best cartridge, 19 April 2012
Speaking about the product itself not the high price. The Arpeggio in my eye is Nespresso's best pod for making a good latte or cappuccino. It goes down easily whilst still having a full body which some of the less intense pods loose as soon as you add milk. In every order direct from Nespresso this is the one that gets chosen first. Would recommend but buying from Nespresso direct.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 12:17 PM GMT

Lipsmackin' Backpackin': Lightweight Trail-tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips
Lipsmackin' Backpackin': Lightweight Trail-tested Recipes for Backcountry Trips

2.0 out of 5 stars not suitable for UK users, 14 April 2012
I bought this book to give me great ideas for my food dehydrator and meals for backpacking. Although the book has plenty of ideas, the majority have ingredients that are impossible to source outside the US. This greatly reduces the amount of useable recipes.
So although a good book, it uses too many specific ingredients instead of standard readily available ones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5