Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Profile for Margaret C > Reviews

Content by Margaret C

Margaret C

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Beatles Piano Solos (The Phillip Keveren series)
The Beatles Piano Solos (The Phillip Keveren series)
by Phillip Keveren

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting pieces, and fun to play, 2 Jan. 2015
I really like this book. The arrangements are interesting and fun to play. I agree with other reviews that it's a good idea to listen to some of Phillip Keverens arrangements on YouTube as these are not just simple Beatles tunes, but more like interesting pieces in their own right based on Beatles melodies. They are (as the title suggests) piano solos.
"Norwegian Wood" is just beautiful, and quite easy to play, whereas "Michelle" is much more challenging, with more of a classical feel. There are different styles and tempos for the pieces, so plenty of variety and interest. The level is intermediate, perhaps grade 4 and up.
Hope that helps.

Junior Guest Spot: The Beatles - Easy Playalong (Clarinet)
Junior Guest Spot: The Beatles - Easy Playalong (Clarinet)
by Paul Honey
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars This got me back on track, 13 May 2014
This is so much fun. I was starting to lose interest in learning the clarinet, but this has given me a great boost. I'm going to buy some others in the series.
I like that you can play along with the demo, and once you've mastered it you can play with just the backing tracks. The backing tracks sound great.
I've read elsewhere that the level goes from about grade 1 to grade 4, but I would imagine that even more experienced players would enjoy it too.

Email English
Email English
by Paul Emmerson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for more advanced business English learners, 28 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Email English (Paperback)
I'm very pleased with this book. I have found it very useful for teaching more advanced foreign students. The chapters are broken up into logical chunks and there are chapters dealing with various areas of industry and commerce.

* Just hope the "English Grammar Police" aren't patrolling my review hunting for mistakes as in one of the other reviews wot I red!

GH Easy to Make! Wheat Free
GH Easy to Make! Wheat Free
by Good Housekeeping Institute Kitchens

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected better from GH, 25 Feb. 2011
I was disappointed with this book.
I suppose you could say that for someone who knows absolutely nothing about preparing wheat free meals it would be a good starter, but a lot of the recipes are similar to ones that are widely available, and the advice on preparing fruit and cooking rice for example, borders on the insulting.
Nice pictures though.
Best I can say is Very Average.

Lark Rise To Candleford - Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Lark Rise To Candleford - Series 1-3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Sawalha

5.0 out of 5 stars Like taking a warm bath., 25 Feb. 2011
This is a lovely series for when you just need to step away from life for a little while. The stories about the lives of the various families in Lark Rise and Candleford are sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but watching is very addictive. It's very well made, in the best tradition of BBC costume drama. We bought it to watch over the Christmas period, and it's quite likely that we'll be watching it again over the next Christmas holidays too. It's a real treat.

Bumper Book of Christmas Songs: (Piano, Vocal, Guitar) (With 2 Free Audio CDs) (Pvg/CD)
by Various
Edition: Sheet music

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice arrangements, 25 Feb. 2011
I've only recently started playing piano again, so I didn't want to tackle anything too difficult, but I was looking for something a bit more challenging than the "beginner" books. I like these arrangements, particularly for "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer". There's a good balance of songs, although I've never heard a couple of the modern ones. I couldn't get to grips with the CD. I tried to play along with it and got hopelessly lost, which is probably more of a reflection of my keyboard skills that the CD. I think I misunderstood the description too - I thought we would be able to sing along with the CD, but that didn't work out either. However I'll be getting the book out again around the end of November to drive everyone mad with my very bad renditions of these Christmas songs.

English Collocations in Use: Advanced
English Collocations in Use: Advanced
by Felicity O'Dell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for advanced students who are motivated., 25 Feb. 2011
I teach English as a foreign language, and I bought this book to use with advanced students. There is some very useful material in it, but for each unit there's quite a lot to take in. For highly motivated students it would be very useful, but I would say that for the majority it's a book to dip in to now and again.
I like the way that the chapters are arranged, particularly the collocations that are in topic areas. The exercises that complement each section are also well thought out.
I also bought "English Idioms in Use" (advanced), which I feel will be more useful, and which the students seem to find more accessible. Nevertheless I will be using this book from time to time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2014 1:38 PM BST

Jane Austen's World: (Piano)
Jane Austen's World: (Piano)
by Richard Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 25 Feb. 2011
I'm really pleased with this book. I've started playing the piano again after a 35 year break, and I wanted something easyish to play that didn't resemble the exam pieces I played as a child. The arrangements in this book are well done. Some of the pieces are more difficult than others, and there's still a couple that I haven't tackled yet, but the ones that I can play sound quite impressive, and I've got the more challenging ones to look forward to as I improve (hopefully!).
If you like the music from the various films and TV series that these pieces come from I think you'll enjoy this book.

Essential Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises with Answers
Essential Grammar in Use Supplementary Exercises with Answers
by Helen Naylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reinforcement, 25 Feb. 2011
This is a great book for reinforcing the lessons learnt with the main "Essential Grammar in Use" books, but the exercises can also be used along side any other method of grammar teaching. It's also a good revision tool. I'm finding it very useful with my language students.

Essential Grammar in Use Student Book with Answers and CD-ROM French Edition
Essential Grammar in Use Student Book with Answers and CD-ROM French Edition
by Hennard-Dutheil de la Rochère

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great, 25 Feb. 2011
I teach English to French adults and I've been using the "Essential Grammar in Use" books for a while,as I find that each grammar topic is set out clearly and logically, but this bilingual book is so much easier to use with students, particularly at beginner and elementary level. I like the way that it highlights particular differences between French and English grammar. The exercises are also very good for ascertaining that the students have understood the grammar point being studied.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3