Profile for RC > Reviews

Oz Clarke 250 Best Wines: Wine Buying Guide 2008
by Oz Clarke
Price: 5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant guide to the best wines on sale now, 16 Nov 2007
I hate choosing wine because I have absolutely no knowledge on what types are the best for drinking with what etc... and often spend at least ten minutes pacing up and down the aisle in the supermarket trying to best guess what will be a nice drink. I do not have this problem anymore - this book is really easy to follow and Oz just tells you instantly what the big hitters are. Includes all the supermarkets and wine merchants. I bought a 3.11 red wine and a 10 bottle of white from Majestic following the book and both were much much better than anything I would have chosen myself.

The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton
by Kate Morton
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 15 Oct 2007
This review is from: The House at Riverton (Paperback)
After several people telling me to go and read this book I thought I'd give it a try. I found it slightly predictable but did love the attention to detail. Mixing the past with the present was a handy way of keeping me hooked. Hated the jacket though and didn't think it was a good representation of the plot.

Knitted Icons: 25 Celebrity Doll Patterns
Knitted Icons: 25 Celebrity Doll Patterns
by Carol Meldrum
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! And I can't knit!, 15 Oct 2007
This is laugh til you can't stop sort of book. Even if you can't knit (and the book reckons its pretty easy to create an icon) its worth getting just to chuckle over. My favourites include different outfits for Cher and Bob Dylan. Oh and Mr.T!

Restless
Restless
by William Boyd
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read with gripping story, 24 Sep 2007
This review is from: Restless (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book - couldn't put it down and got completely immersed in the two different strands being told. Believable and absorbing, I thought it was thoroughly well written and I'm now moving onto his other books to see if they are just as good.

The Internet: Now in Handy Book Form!
The Internet: Now in Handy Book Form!
by David McCandless
Price: 9.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny funny funny..., 24 Sep 2007
This is a laugh out loud, gaffaw a plenty style book. Absolutely hilarious - there are millions of jokes on every page. Some are so obvious you can't help but think there cannot be anymore in the book, but actually it is the one liners that really made me laugh. The detail is incredible.
The book is a spoof of the internet pages we have grown to love, loathe, hate or just become ambivalent too. Google, Apple and Amazon will suddenly never be the same after reading this book. A must for anyone that likes a good joke, or thousands.

The Second Wife
The Second Wife
by Elizabeth Buchan
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Minty's misery - The Second Wife, 29 Aug 2007
This review is from: The Second Wife (Paperback)
You will need to read the first book, Revenge of the Middle Aged Woman to fully "get" this book. It is completely addictive - I couldn't stop reading it but it does leave a bitter taste. I ended up wondering whether any of the characters were particularly pleasant and why I had spent so long reading a book that left me feeling melancholy and empty. Having said that, the writing is great as it makes you feel very involved with the story which nowadays is so hard to find. Much better than your average chick lit!

India Remembered:  A Personal Account of the Mountbattens During the Transfer of Power
India Remembered: A Personal Account of the Mountbattens During the Transfer of Power
by Pamela Mountbatten

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprizingly good read, 17 Aug 2007
Admittedly I wasn't sure how interesting this book would be as it is centred around the diaries of Pamela Mountbatten but actually it is utterly compelling and very addictive. I really enjoyed reading about the protocol and ceremonies that went on and also the observations Pamela Mountbatten noted about the central figures during partition - the photographs taken from the archives are worth a look.

Intimate Company: The Confessional Diaries Of A Girl In The Country
Intimate Company: The Confessional Diaries Of A Girl In The Country
by Company Magazine
Price: 6.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Good holiday read, 22 May 2007
This is is very good read - if you like Freya North's books or possibly A Girl with a One Tracked Mind then you'll like this one. You get quite caught up in the storyline straight away and okay, there are a few bits where you think "yeah right" but that's normal! I read this on what would have been a very boring train ride and the journey flew by. I'm going to see what the other books are like.

Complete Traditional Recipe Book
Complete Traditional Recipe Book
by Sarah Edington
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A mouth watering delight!, 23 Oct 2006
I'm not much of a cook but I found the recipes very easy to follow and also very tasty. There's a lot to get through, and the history behind each receipe is well worth a read. More importantly, it has a great chocolate pudding which tastes just as good as the the picture in the book.

The Best of My Guy: v. 1: A Collection of the Very Best of Everyone's Favourite Photo-Story Magazine
by Frank Hopkinson
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic! Takes me back to my youth., 23 Oct 2006
Even though I was not an avid reader of my My Guy magazine, this book really does sum up the 1980's for me. Even looking at the adverts takes me back to a time when Tony Hadley and George Michael adorned my bedroom walls. This is a seriously funny book - especially seeing familar faces (Hugh Grant's hair is great) in the photo stories.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9