Profile for RC > Reviews

Content by RC

RC (Leicester (UK))
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Active (Black/Silver, Cotton Mix)
BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Active (Black/Silver, Cotton Mix)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 May 2011
My husband and I bought bought this after we decided that my other sling (one that you can breastfeed in) wasn't secure enough when walking outside. Although this was just a personal preference until our baby is bigger to fit the other sling, the Baby Bjorn was great as we could use it straight away. Our baby fits it perfectly and is happy looking up at us when we are travelling and often she falls fast asleep in it too. It can be fitted for both of us to carry her around in and after a little practice, I am very confident lifting her in and out safely.I would advise to do a couple of practice sessions at home first though, just until you and your baby are used to it. Great for back support but just like most things, it took awhile for my back to get used to carrying her around. I couldn't recommend this enough - as it gives you freedom to get on with daily life whilst always having your happy baby with you.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use nappies, 18 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've only just started using these as my baby has only started to fit them. Comparing them with other brands I'd say they are just as easy to use, keep her fresh for as long as the others and the added bonus of being better for the environment does make me feel less guilty when it seems like I'm changing her nappy every hour! She is just as happy kicking around in these as the others.

Munchkin Nappy Disposal System
Munchkin Nappy Disposal System

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great - easy and effective, 18 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really impressed by this system - it does exactly what it says- keeps nappy odours away and makes it so much easier to organise disposal. These are perfect if you live in a flat and cannot access outside as easy as most. I've tried the Angel system as well and have to admit that I think this system is much better at keeping the odours out. Not sure on how the refills work just yet but I'm hoping it will be as effective as the rest of the system. Would recommend it.

Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
Offered by Anita Mall

3.0 out of 5 stars A good distraction, 18 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My baby is 8 weeks old and is becoming very aware of the world around her - especially sound. Although she is obviously too young to press the buttons to activate the music herself, it is a nice activity for her with her Dad. The lights and the different instruments keep her occupied. Not completely convinced by the sound quality and the batteries do not last that long but as a lovely 10 minute distraction while you have a cup of tea - its pretty fab.

The Empty Family: Stories
The Empty Family: Stories
by Colm Tóibín

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read that captures your imagination, 18 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After being bowled over by the brilliant "Brooklyn", I couldn't wait to read the next book by Colm Toibin. I'm not usually a fan of short stories, I much prefer a meaty read however this is a fantastic collection of stories that capture your imagination. The writing is excellent and I couldn't recommend this highly enough.

Naty by Nature Babycare Eco Sensitive Wipes - 10 x Packs of 70 (700 Wipes)
Naty by Nature Babycare Eco Sensitive Wipes - 10 x Packs of 70 (700 Wipes)
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

3.0 out of 5 stars Great and easy to use, 18 Mar. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm about to be a new mum so I'll need to update this review in a couple of weeks time but I was attracted to these wipes as my midwife told me to use water and these wipes only in the first few months of my baby's life. Due to risk of my baby having allergies. I've offered these to a few mums that I know and each were very impressed by their usage but did note that the packaging wasn't as hardy as others but as this is an eco product, I think that's allowable!

New Beginnings
New Beginnings
by Fern Britton

3.0 out of 5 stars An average read but nothing special, 22 Feb. 2011
This review is from: New Beginnings (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose to read this book because I was curious to see if Fern Britton would be able to translate from tv presenter to author - following along the same route as Penny Smith. I've always enjoyed Fern's presenting and was interested to see what her first fiction book would be like but sadly it doesn't quite match my expectations. Don't get me wrong, the book is okay - its just not as good as other books in the same category by lesser known writers. The plot is easy to follow (and to guess the outcome - but that never matters with chick lit!) and very readable but it is hard to engage with any of the characters.

I'm hoping that her next will be better as I'll certainly give it a go but there is a lot that could make this a better book.

If you are after a decent read with an element of escapism, then I would suggest trying Veronica Henry (in particular, The Beach Hut, Kate Harrison or Harriet Evans.

The Other Family
The Other Family
by Joanna Trollope

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read that leaves a bitter aftertaste, 6 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Other Family (Paperback)
I'm a huge fan of Joanna Trollope - her books are always well written, with strong characterisation and are thought provoking. I found The Other Family slightly uncomfortable because the characters are so strong, and mostly unlikeable that it was hard to warm to any of them and for me, that lessened my enjoyment of the book. What it does show is how brilliant Joanna Trollope is at writing characters where the reader becomes so involved with their lives that you actually find yourself questionning whether you want them to have a happy ending.

The book centres around the lives of two families and how they are affected by the death of Richie - who left his first wife and son for Chrissie, twenty years earlier. The aftermath of his death, his will and the different ways the characters deal with mourning is thoughtfully written and you never know how it is going to turn out. For me, I found that after finishing the book, I wanted to start re-reading it to see if I had missed anything and also wanted to discuss with other people the characters that are involved. Often a sign of a good read.

Round the Horne, Series 1, Part 1 (The Golden Age of BBC Radio Comedy)
Round the Horne, Series 1, Part 1 (The Golden Age of BBC Radio Comedy)
by Barry Took
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and fun. Kenneth Williams is brilliant, 6 Jan. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was first introduced to Round the Horne when I was at school - we had to study different forms of comic language and Round the Horne was one of the "set texts." I thoroughly enjoyed it then as I did just listening to it now. It is still very funny and although the jokes and wit could be seen to be "of its time" I defy anyone not to laugh out loud at Kenneth Williams brilliant characters. Its perfect listening for any age and sometimes the recording isn't as clean as perhaps other audio recordings, it doesn't challenge the experience of listening. I played it in the car whilst stuck in a traffic jam and it made the many minutes of standing still fly by. Fully recommend it.

Love Always
Love Always
by Harriet Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read - don't be deterred by the book jacket and title, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Love Always (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was very surprized at how much I did - simply because the book jacket and the title makes you believe that this is a soppy, girly novel with a sugary ending. I should know to never judge a book from its cover - this book is so much more than what it appears at first glance. Touches of darkness seep across the storyline and as a reader you are never too sure who you should be rooting for.

The story of Natasha returning to her grandparents home to meet with her rather complicated family for her beloved Grandma's funeral immediately hooks you in and then the switching between current day and 1963 is at times rather clumsy but very effective. The characters are all larger than life and at times, I wanted to shake Natasha as I was getting frustrated with the decisions or lack of decisions she was making. Which I guess just goes to show how much I was enjoying the book.

This is a thoroughly good read, something to curl up with in the winter with a cup of tea, glass of wine and a bar of chocolate. Utter bliss. I'll be catching up with her previous books now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9