Profile for James Josiah > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Choke
Choke

5.0 out of 5 stars For serious, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Choke (Kindle Edition)
people think Chuck and they think Fight Club but he is more than that, Choke is more than that.

Choke picks at the scabs on the wounds Fight Club left, Choke is an infection that eats away at you. it makes you feel dirty and violated but it'll make you laugh and then you'll feel bad for laughing.

in short it's brilliant

Blues Funeral
Blues Funeral
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Been Dreaming Of You My Love, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Blues Funeral (Audio CD)
this was easily my album of the year and two years later it is still getting a hammering. To put it simply Mark Lanegan can do no wrong, his voice is effortless and the best around.

The Fin
The Fin

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigger Boat Not Required, 28 July 2014
This review is from: The Fin (Kindle Edition)
A short story about an even shorter scene in a film that has obviously had a profound effect on the author, it's an odd concept that works brilliantly.

If you haven't seen Jaws this will mean nothing to you but if you haven't seen Jaws you don't deserve to get this.

The Electric
The Electric

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric, 28 July 2014
This review is from: The Electric (Kindle Edition)
The Electric is the story of an abandoned cinema that plays movies made by ghosts for ghosts. Only it’s more than that, it is a tale about those long days of summer, the magic of cinema, of teenage friendship, love, loss and the end of childhood.

I grew up with the ghoulish delights of Stephen King and this is very reminiscent of his earlier work, but it isn’t an idle tribute and if anything it is better than anything King has written in many, many years. The characters are likeable and feel real, they could have been your mates when you were a kid.

This is a ghost story but it isn’t exactly frightening at times it is utterly joyous at others tinged with a deep sadness. With this, his debut novel Andrew David Barker has created a masterpiece.

Deep In The Bin Of Bob
Deep In The Bin Of Bob

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheelbarrows, Black dogs, Fiestas and Hot Air Balloons, 12 July 2014
Craig Stone changed the way I wrote, for many years I tried to be like everyone else. I tried to appeal to the masses and the agents and the publishers, but then I read "Life Knocks" and realised that I was wasting my time. Mr Stone has a unique style and attitude and whilst I wouldn't dream of trying to emulate his style I have followed his lead and thought f*ck it I'll do it my own way. I self-published at first and then thought f*ck that I'll start my own publishing company.

But this isn't about me, this is about Mr Stone.

As I said earlier he has his own style, he describes things in a way that no one else does. He dabbles in the surreal but is firmly rooted in reality. Deep In The Bin Of Bob follows an improbably named young Muslim on a journey, the journey takes place on a London council estate but that doesn't matter.

You should buy this book and then everything else he has written, get in (fairly) early while you still can.

Mind Over Matter: The Images of "Pink Floyd": The Images of "Pink Floyd"
Mind Over Matter: The Images of "Pink Floyd": The Images of "Pink Floyd"
by Peter Curzon

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 9 July 2014
I love Pink Floyd and I like pictures, this is brilliant on both levels

Rave Tapes
Rave Tapes

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Mogwai you'll like this, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Rave Tapes (Audio CD)
If you like them you'll already own this but it is another step on the sonic adventure that is Mogwai. Not the best thing to start out with but very good all the same

Has God Seen My Shadow: An Anthology 1989-2011
Has God Seen My Shadow: An Anthology 1989-2011
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest voice out there, 9 July 2014
This is more than a best of, its second disc offers up many an unheard gem and was the only reason I bought it.

The first disc can be used as a gentle introduction to the great mans oeuvre, it could also be used as a sex soundtrack if your lady likes that type of thing.

so thats nice

Gary Moore Wild Frontier
Gary Moore Wild Frontier
Dvd ~ Gary Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars My dad had a copy of this on VHS when I was a kid, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Gary Moore Wild Frontier (DVD)
My dad had a copy of this on VHS when I was a kid. He loves Gary Moore and it was with the opposite of great pleasure that I got to inform him of Gary' sad passing on the same phonecall I wished him a happy birthday (February 6th fact fans)

That aside this is a must own for any 80s power rawk fan, buy this and practise your solo/cum face in the mirror.

The Incredibly Misguided Rantings Of Fudgecrumpet
The Incredibly Misguided Rantings Of Fudgecrumpet

4.0 out of 5 stars A very odd young man, 9 July 2014
Al or Fudgecrumpet as he is better known to people like me is an odd man and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

This along with the exploits of The Chimping Dandy have made me realise that I am probably totally sane and have nothing to worry about and for that I thank them

Page: 1 | 2 | 3