Profile for Philco > Reviews

Content by Philco

Philco "Phil" (Leeds, UK)

David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D610
David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D610
by David D. Busch
Price: 7.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the good doc ordered..., 20 May 2014
The content is well ordered, concise and to the point. The book does a good job of helping you through the camera menus, helpfully pointing out the differences to other cameras if you have been using other Nikon cameras. I can't say, though, whether someone coming from another camera system would agree.

My only gripe is that the book is a little large for me to be truly 'compact'; still portable enough though, and the spiral-bound pages make it easy to flip through when you are out and about.

Recommended.

Who Are You, Really?
Who Are You, Really?
Price: 0.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Heard on The Blacklist, 3 May 2014
Excellent track and really took the scene to another level. On its own, it still stands out. Turn up the volume, sit back and ask yourself, who are you, really?

Choices
Choices
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept, 13 July 2013
This review is from: Choices (Audio CD)
Interesting concept, spoken/vs music, but it seems to work overall. As for the music, I'd expect nothing less from Blanchard.

Colour Me Free [Explicit]
Colour Me Free [Explicit]
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Flak from her label, flak from the masses, but proudly defiant, 14 Nov 2009
I saw Joss interviewed in the papers today, and learnt a few things 1)this album was recorded in one week 2) she organised it all herself, including guest artists 3) her record label do not support it... Curious and curiouser. So, I listened to it... and 1) Its a good album, by any standards 2) She's gone back to 'her' sound and seems comfortable in her skin 3)it's certaiinly not 'saccharine' and 'pop-y' enough for mas radio - possibly why her record label seems intent on not letting it see the light of day 4)some great and varied collabo's from people that know a thing or two about music (Jeff Beck, Raphael Saadiq, Sheila E)...

If you are brave enough to see beyond the negativity, you will enjoy this album. Joss may be misunderstood and not with the 'in-crowd' promoted and pushed in our faces daily by the mass media, but you can't accuse her of lacking talent.

There may be one or two tracks that could have done with a little more polish (4 and 20 sounds rather contrived, for example), but show me a perfect album and I'll show you a rarity.

BALANCE
BALANCE

5.0 out of 5 stars Bom Feeling Indeed!, 19 April 2008
This review is from: BALANCE (Audio CD)
I first saw this in a store. Like I do with all new music, I noted the name and checked it out online. Within a few minutes of hearing the samples, I knew I had to get it.

Born in Portugal but heavily influenced by both her native Cape Verde and Europe, Sara Tavares has crafted a piece of musical magic that is sure to enchant you a little more by the day.

Stand out tracks for me are Balance, Bom Feeling and One Love.

M'Bem Di Fora
M'Bem Di Fora

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my best buys, 30 April 2007
This review is from: M'Bem Di Fora (Audio CD)
Got this over the weekend and cannot get enough of it. Great voice and technical style to match. The songs are varied - poignant, reflective and full of life. Stand out tracks for me are Bida Mariadu, Poinciana, As Agua and Festa Di Nha Kompadri.