Profile for W. Bartlett > Reviews

The Hollow Crown - TV Mini Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Whishaw
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase of the year..., 15 April 2014
Bought this a few weeks back and can't stop watching it. acting of the highest quality, beautiful locations and lovely haunting soundtrack. The star though is the script-writer whose timeless prose and verse is brought to life anew in this amazing production or rather set of productions. I loved the Branagh Henry V too but am very happy to welcome a quite different 'Henry' into the world, much more nuanced and the love scene with Katharine is very moving, as is the poignancy of the opening and ending.

The Quest of the Holy Grail (Penguin Classics)
The Quest of the Holy Grail (Penguin Classics)
by Pauline Matarasso
Price: 9.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, 6 Nov 2012
An amazing story, if read through the eyes of the 13th and not the 21st Century. Wonderfully rich prose and symbolism. If you want to understand the 13th Century view of the Grail legends this is for you. If you want to be entertained by good guys and bad guys then try Hollywood! A splendid translation, I am just buying a replacement as the 30 year-old original (cost 75p!) is falling apart.

Road to Paradise
Road to Paradise

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem....., 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Road to Paradise (Audio CD)
I bought this last year and fell in love with it on a first listen. It is full of the most exquisitely crafted music, magically performed. I was visiting an equally magical place, Ohrid in Macedonia, last year when I first put it on and it will be one of the highlights of my life until my dying day. This is a real antidote to all the stresses and pressures of contemporary life - if any government wants to improve the lot of its citizens, it should issue a copy of this to each of them for free!

Mons Graupius AD 83 (Campaign)
Mons Graupius AD 83 (Campaign)
by Duncan B. Campbell
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Objective assessment, 31 Jan 2011
Whilst I have always had a passing interest in Mons Graupius I would not claim to be an expert. However I have read a couple of books on it and have tried to make sense of the campaign in a historical context. I am always very wary of extremes of view on Amazon, ranging from 5 stars to 1. In my view this book deserves neither.

It is well written and easy to follow and, as one expects from Osprey, nicely illustrated. However, I think it takes too much for granted in terms of historical evidence (or lack of). We are of course stuck with a limited range of sources and Tacitus was certanly not unbiased. Therefore we need to be careful in terms of taking his numbers and "facts" at face value. We simply do not know how fierce the battle was as there is no archeological evidence to back this up and little in terms of literary source either.

Perhaps the greatest problem I had with the book was its unquestioning acceptance that Bennachie was the site of the battle. That it coud have been I accept as a possibility but others have argued strongly for other sites (e.g. Fraser and others argue for the Gask ridge in Perthshire) and these do not merit a mention in the book.

The problem I have with it all is it presents as historical fact (or at least probability) something that is not proven and this makes for questionable objectivity when other alternatives are not presented. The danger is that the uninitiated accept at face value something which should be questioned. I admire the attempt to write a battle history on a battle for which there is so little corroborating evidence but I would certainly have liked more recognition of some of the weaknesses in the evidence base.