Profile for Snaileen > Reviews

The Vintage Sweets Book
The Vintage Sweets Book
by Angel Adoree

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all about the sweets., 9 Dec. 2014
This is a beautifully presented book which is a real pleasure to look at. I was expecting purely a recipe book, however it also contains instructions for making craft items. I have knocked off a star for this because I felt it wasted space which could have contained more recipes, but I'm sure other people will be pleased with the extra additions.

A good thing about this book is it starts with the easier sweets and works through to those which take more skill to make. This makes it handy for those who want to learn about each stage of sugar work before moving on to the next challenge.

Swift Set of 7 Christmas Cookie Cutters
Swift Set of 7 Christmas Cookie Cutters

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cutters for making Xmas decs., 9 Dec. 2014
I've been using these cutters to make Christmas decorations using clay. They give crisp and clean cuts and are easy to clean. My criticisms would be that I would prefer the star to be slightly bigger to give a more robust shape, and I would say the Santa is a fairly random shape unless painted to show details.

Sio-2 1Kg Plus Self Hardening Clay - White
Sio-2 1Kg Plus Self Hardening Clay - White

4.0 out of 5 stars More natural than white, but a good product nonetheless., 9 Dec. 2014
This lost one star because, as commented by some other reviewers, this clay does not dry white as in the description. My packet has two stickers, one saying "white" and the other saying "natural", so I think "natural" is the more correct and appropriate description.

Aside from this, the clay is easy to shape, I have been rolling it and using cutters and stamps to make Christmas decorations. The clay is quite lightweight once it's dry, so you can roll fairly thick (1/2 or 3/4 cm).

The packet states that any paints/pens/crayons can be used to decorate the clay. I've personally used acrylic paint and metallic paint-pens to decorate the clay and glitter Mod Podge to (hopefully) seal it.

Assassin's Apprentice and Magician (Two book set)
Assassin's Apprentice and Magician (Two book set)
by Raymond E. Feist

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely editions which look very nice on my bookshelf!, 9 Dec. 2014
These are really beautiful editions with simple but striking cover art.

Magician is very large and quite heavy, making it tiring to hold for long periods of time, but I'm probably just used to my Kindle by now!

These would make a great gift for a fantasy lover, and even if they already have these books, these editions are lovely to own.

From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a watch, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
This is a really sweet movie with an interesting story. It's not mythical like some other Ghibli, it's more of a realistic representation of the life of these Japanese schoolchildren. I definitely recommend this to fans of the genre.

Russell Hobbs 15081 Steamglide Iron - 2400 W - White and Blue
Russell Hobbs 15081 Steamglide Iron - 2400 W - White and Blue
Offered by K.K. Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 3 Nov. 2014
This iron is a good weight, effectively steamy and has a decent length of cable. The issues I have are that it uses water very quickly (but it is a steam-focussed product so that's to be expected), and that the distance between the hot plate and the base is large, making the iron so long that it doesn't fit well into the holder on my ironing board.

Clariel (Old Kingdom Chronicles)
Clariel (Old Kingdom Chronicles)
by Garth Nix

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for Old Kingdom Fans., 3 Nov. 2014
I gave four stars because, although I enjoyed Clariel, I would hesitate to give recommend it to someone who hadn't read Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen. This is purely because Clariel is not as much of a gripping adventure as the previous three. As a slightly-obsessed Old Kingdom fan I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the world from another perspective, and liked reading more about the Kingdom's life and customs in a tale set centuries before the events of Sabriel.

Having said that, I did feel like a lot of potential for thrill and excitement was missed in this book. I feel a lot of time was spent giving background and descriptives, to the detriment of deeper character development. I would describe this as a companion book rather than an adventure in it's own right, and if I had read this before S/L/A, I'm not sure I would have gone on to read the others.

I also have to say I was getting very worried that this was going to be a two-part novel ending on a cliff-hanger when I reached about 50 pages to go and felt like we weren't reaching a conclusion. Then again I suppose the advantage to a looser narrative is that the reader is free to imagine what happens to the characters when the book ends, but there is a real risk of leaving the reader unsatisfied.

I'm itching for some more of the spellbinding magic of the other books, and I think my experience of the story would have been greatly improved with some added chapters from the viewpoint of Belatiel.

Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK
Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK
Offered by Jasmine Silk

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as the one I bought 3 years ago., 3 Nov. 2014
I bought one of these masks about three years ago and I've since lost it so bought a replacement. I'd say this one was of poorer quality than my last one. Firstly, there was not as much silk filling inside the mask. This meant it was less comfortable, and, when the elastic was tightened, the mask pressed on my eyes without much cushioning. Secondly, the extra material which blocks light around the nose is more rigid than in my old mask and so didn't fit as closely and block light as well around my nose.

The advantages of this mask are that the elastic is easily adjustable, the silk outer fabric is very soft, and the mask itself blocks light well. It is also washable. It is better than most other sleep masks for these reasons, I only wish it performed as well as my old Jasmine Silk mask!

The Logo Board Game
The Logo Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun was had by all, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Logo Board Game (Toy)
Brought this game to a friend's house and, after a bit of "oh board games are boring", I managed to convince them to play. After the first round we were all hooked and everyone wanted to play again - we had about five games in the end. The ages ranged from 25-35 and we all had fun. I'm looking forward to playing with my teenage family members at christmas.

My only concern is that after playing a lot of games everyone will know all the answers, but this is a problem with all quiz games and doesn't reflect the fun we had when playing.

Duronic VC16 Compact Capacity Bagless Cylinder Vac Hepa Filer Vacuum Cleaner
Duronic VC16 Compact Capacity Bagless Cylinder Vac Hepa Filer Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far!, 28 Jun. 2014
I was a little worried, having read other reviews that this vacuum may be too heavy and have too short a cable, but I feel the weight is nothing major (I can carry it as I vacuum the stairs) and the cable is fine for our house.

The suction is very powerful and picked up a lot of dirt our old upright didn't catch. It was simple to assemble and comes with two different heads for different surfaces. Other reviewers said it was difficult to empty but I have not had a problem with this.

I will edit this review in future if I have any problems, but so far so good!

EDIT: Six months later and all is well!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3