Profile for Colby > Reviews

Content by Colby

Colby (Tucson, AZ, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
The Victorian Garden Series [DVD]
The Victorian Garden Series [DVD]
Price: 36.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and Very Educational, 28 Mar 2014
This series describes and demonstrates the techniques used by the gardeners working in Victorian walled gardens attached to large estates. The first series takes a year recreating the vegetable gardening, the second series brings the camera into the house, where a cook prepares various meals in a Victorian style, and the final series goes back out to the garden to look at the massive flower production large houses demanded. I learned a tremendous amount about gardening and cooking and the principals -- Harry Dodson, a retired gardener trained by Victorians as a boy, and Ruth Mott, a retired cooked who had experience as a child in the kitchens of large houses -- are charming and informative.

Tudor Monastery Farm [DVD]
Tudor Monastery Farm [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ruth Goodman
Price: 16.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Recreation of Medieval Life, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tudor Monastery Farm [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this after watching the series on BBC. All of the Farm series -- Victorian, Edwardian, Wartime -- have been interesting and Tudor is no exception. We learn so much of the history of ordinary people, the development of technology, often water-powered, and the nature of life with one pervasive world view governed by the Catholic Church. These videos are in context, not looking ahead to events of the Reformation, and viewers are steeped in the lives that we are watching. The presenters are all terrific and teach history in delightful ways.

Potholders (Klutz)
Potholders (Klutz)
by April Chorba
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Potholders (Klutz) (Paperback)
I bought this for a 5 year old boy who is interested in weaving, and it has pleased him mightily. A little boy needs some help, but when he is a bit older, stretching the loops over the loom will become easier and he can, even now, choose his own patterns (or lack of pattern) and colour-scheme.

Diet for Runners
Diet for Runners
by Nathan Pritikin

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes for Hurried People, 31 Aug 2013
This review is from: Diet for Runners (Paperback)
The idea behind this book is that, with seven staple foods always in the refrigerator or the cupboard, a variety of meals can be prepared. It is written by Nathan Pritikin, whose low-fat, low-sugar, low-salt diet suggestions, first published in the late 1970s, were a precursor of the diets intended to control or reverse heart disease. Pritikin is the opposite of Atkins, and, though his staple foods include chicken, most of his recipes are vegetarian or vegan. The recipes are tasty and spicy and, usually, simple. Pritikin said that people who embraced this diet would find themselves fitter, leaner, and more energetic. I think he was correct. My original copy of this book disintegrated, and I am happy to have a newer copy in my kitchen.

Swanson Turmeric 720mg, 240 Capsules
Swanson Turmeric 720mg, 240 Capsules
Offered by healthmonthly-uk
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to swallow, nice size, 21 July 2013
This turmeric capsule is slightly larger than the ones I've bought at Holland & Barrett, but comfortable to swallow. Turmeric, as a supplement, seems to keep my slightly-arthritic knees a bit more supple, and when I've travelled without the capsules I've noticed a difference in my hiking comfort.

Complete Carnegie Hall Concert 1938
Complete Carnegie Hall Concert 1938
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and complete, 21 July 2013
Excellent restoration with additional tracks (beyond my 2LP recording which is about 50 years old). I'd recommend this to anyone who hasn't heard it recently!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Knees know the difference, 21 July 2013
Within a fortnight of starting this supplement, I realised that I could kneel comfortably (I was gardening and had knelt and stood several times when it dawned on me) and that my stiff right knee was nearly as flexible as my left. I've recommended this product to a friend with arthritic knees, and she too has taken a packet every morning with good results. I mix it with a little powdered vitamin C,
which my reading suggests will enhance the take-up of the HA.

The 1940s House
The 1940s House
by Juliet Gardiner
Price: 16.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the television series, 21 July 2013
This review is from: The 1940s House (Hardcover)
This book, written by one of the members of the 'Cabinet' which ran the lives of the 1940's family, gives us more information about the conditions during the war, and a bit more information about the family and how it coped with the privations of the project. I loved the series and found this book a terrific supplement.

Sampar Essentials 3 Day Weekend 50 ml
Sampar Essentials 3 Day Weekend 50 ml
Price: 31.08

4.0 out of 5 stars keeps a bit of colour in my face, 21 July 2013
This is a good moisturiser for early summer, and it gave me a bit of tan until the sun came out!

Benny Goodman's Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert (Oxford Studies in Recorded Jazz)
by Catherine Tackley
Price: 12.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look at 1938 concert, 21 July 2013
This book is best read while listening to a recent disc of the concert. It should be recent because there are more tracks available than on the original 2 LPs, which were all I heard for years. The author gives a history of music developments, talks about the various fans and their varied manifestations of fandom, and looks closely at the musicians and audience at Carnegie Hall

Page: 1 | 2