Profile for Lana B > Reviews

Content by Lana B

Lana B

CARDIO SUCKS! The Simple Science of Burning Fat Fast and Getting In Shape (The Build Muscle, Get Lean, and Stay Healthy Series Book 4)
Price: 0.77

2.0 out of 5 stars The same as Thinner, Leaner, Stronger, 16 Mar 2014
This book is really just an excerpt from Thinner, Leaner, Stronger but with some different exercise recommendations. The advice is sound but a bit disappointing as it's not mentioned anywhere that this book is just copy and pasted from another.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2014 6:15 PM GMT

China Study Cookbook
China Study Cookbook
by T. Colin Campbell
Price: 9.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Healthy-Eating Vegan Cook Book, 24 July 2013
This review is from: China Study Cookbook (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the China Study and couldn't wait for this cook book to come out! I bought two copies, one for me and one for my mum. We are both vegan and interested in healthy eating. There are lots of lovely recipes in here with great, full colour pictures and also a great intro with a Q&A section about raising vegan children that I found particularly interesting. I have made the Baked to Perfection Samosa's and the Blueberry Coffee Cake so far. Both came out great, especially the samosa's, they're a firm favourite now. It is an American cook book but then most Vegan ones are. I didn't find this a problem as I am up to date with all of the Americanisms now and they're only ever a quick google away! :)

I really recommend this book, it's lovely and I'm looking forward to making some more recipes from it. Only negative is that there are a couple of typo's and that's one of my pet hates!

Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar
Fat Chance: The bitter truth about sugar
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, 21 Jun 2013
This was an interesting read but nothing revolutionary that I haven't read in other books before. I was hoping for a more clear-cut idea of what we should and shouldn't be eating, the obvious answer is 'don't eat sugar' I suppose. I will definitely be cutting down on sugar after reading this book.

There is a lot of science and a lot of politics in this book, I like both but sometimes I felt that it went into too much detail. I sped-read the last few chapters as I wasn't really interested in the politics side of it so much as I have read the same sort of thing in The China Study and other books.

I was quite shocked that the author also thought that bariatric surgery was sometimes required and in children too. I personally think this is barbaric practice and will one day be looked on as the equivalent of drilling holes in your head for a headache. But, each to their own.

Philips HR2020/50 Silver Blender with 1.75 Litre Jug - 400 Watt
Philips HR2020/50 Silver Blender with 1.75 Litre Jug - 400 Watt
Price: 30.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 5 months, 19 May 2013
This was a great blender and worked well until after 5 months of very little use the bottom part would no longer seal properly with the jug and would leak everywhere. Really disappointed as this was a Christmas present that I had chosen, won't be choosing Philips again.

Crazy Sexy Diet
Crazy Sexy Diet

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped...., 7 July 2012
This review is from: Crazy Sexy Diet (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to reading this book but I have to say I was disappointed. The writing style is EXACTLY the same as that used in 'Skinny Bitch'. It really does make me wonder if Rory Freedman (co-writer of 'Skinny Bitch') was the writing force behind this, co-incidently she wrote the preface. I do wonder if Kris Carr's name, picture and a few of her anecdotes have just been tucked in as she is the poster girl for this particular 'Crazy, Sexy' series. I have not read any of her other books though so I have nothing to compare with.

While I really love 'Skinny Bitch', 'Crazy Sexy Diet' is essentially a re-hash and the harsh tones do really grate after a while. I thought the book would go into more detail on raw foods but it spends more time trying to convert me to a vegan, which I already am! Obviously I think it's a good thing to tell people the reasons behind being vegan but I think the sort of person who is going to buy this book, a fan of Kris Carr, will already be on the vegan bandwagon. Preaching the choir is the thought that kept running through my head.

This book did offer some good advice though, it has a good chapter on green juices and juicing which I found informative, it also goes through the different types of juicers you can buy and why one might be better than another. I wish there had been more of this. I think I will now be looking for a book more specifically about raw food which is what I thought this book would have more information on.

There was also a chapter on meditation which I found quite interesting, something I had not considered before. However, there is a little bit in the middle that starts talking about prayers and God (this part is written by someone else). I wasn't too keen on that, or the fact the body is constantly referred to as a 'God pod'.

Overall, disappointing. If you have read or own a copy of 'Skinny Bitch' I would give this a miss as you've already read the majority of what this book is trying to convey. And as in 'Skinny Bitch', all of the food recommendations and labels are American, none of which I have seen available to buy in the UK.