Profile for Robin L > Reviews

Faringdon Chrome 5cm pack of 4 Egg Cups
Faringdon Chrome 5cm pack of 4 Egg Cups
Offered by Colanders

5.0 out of 5 stars Eggs eggs eggs, 21 Sept. 2009
Boil an egg, place the little fella into one of these! Great for the job.

Wolfenstein (PS3)
Wolfenstein (PS3)
Offered by Digitalville UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Very average but can be fun......at times, 21 Sept. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wolfenstein (PS3) (Video Game)
A very quick review here but having never played any of the previous Wolfenstein games I wasn't sure what to expect and well lets say that I was a little underwhelmed.

Gameplay - the weaponry was implemented very well with the option to upgrade them with silencers, apertures etc paired with controls which are really responsive and tight, this led to zero gameplay frustrations.

Storyline - No idea what this was about (my own fault what with not playing the previous games). Character interactions was practically none existent. Walk upto them, click to engage them, they waffle on for a moment regarding your next task & blah blah blah. Now I know this isn't an RPG but I think a little more depth to the plot and interactions would have really enhanced the experience.

Graphics - Good, crisp and always bright with areas well illuminated so rarely did I find myself wandering about in the dark.

Overall a plug in & play game rather than taking you on a journey and engrossing you in its detail and atmosphere.

Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
Offered by MICRO LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about on par with Resident Evil 4 imo!, 23 Mar. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 5 (PS3) (Video Game)
Whilst RE5 retains much of RE4s greatness, they have decreased the level of puzzles and definately reduced scare factor!

Resident Evil is no longer scary or remotely creepy, yes it is jam packed full of action which is fantastic but it is definitely not a scary game like Resi 1, 2 & 3. There are no puzzles for example! You get to turn a few valves and go through a kind of maze but that's really all there is in terms of brain tasking, the rest is just shoot, shoot and more shoot. This is certainly no bad thing I assure you and to be honest, I found the game extremely good fun and have completed the solo campaign on both Amateur and Normal whithout realising how much time I'd spent playing it. I have unlocked a number of really cool things like unlimited ammo for the shotgun unlimited ammo is unlockable for all weapons), new outfits and action figures (which feature in Playstation Home apparently!!!) and I still have loads to accomplish. RE5's replayability is immense and I can definitely see myself completing this quite a few more times. The weapon customization is the same as in RE4 and the choice of weaponry is fantastic, there is something for everyone from the shotgun to the AK47 to the Magnum to the mini-gun! The choice available is fantastic!

There is also a co-op mode which I have yet to try but have been told it really is what makes Resident Evil shine and having seen the numerous reviews; I certainly believe them to be correct. At the moment though, unlike a lot of solo games of which I play little and am usually hammering them online, I am loving every minute of the RE5 solo campaign!

The controls are the same as RE4 from what I remember and I found no problem with them in the slightest, you cannot run & gun but I didn't mind that once I readjusted to the traditional RE controls, they are what they are and they work just fine!

The graphics are sharp, crisp and colourful, absolutely beautiful! The sound is awesome too! Shooting the zombies or infected has never been so glorious!

Back in 2005 my favorite game of all time was Resident Evil 4. Fast forward nearly 4 years and my favorite game of all time is still RE4, closely followed by RE5! After my initial disappointment at the Demo on PSN, I'm really glad I gave the game a chance because I have not been as pleased with a game in a long time!

So to wrap up, if you liked RE4, you will love Resident Evil 5!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2009 10:34 AM GMT

Killzone 2 (PS3)
Killzone 2 (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

3.0 out of 5 stars No COD killer, 4 Mar. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Killzone 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
Okay, after putting in over 15 hours online I have nearly reached the top rank. There are a few more ribbons to collect and only a few more medals to achieve but WOW, what a slog it has been and in all honestly, whilst I really enjoyed the first 10 hours of the online MP, I have been left truly tired of the Killzone experience. There is little more by way of incentive to keep on playing. Switching on COD was like a complete breath of fresh air for me & there lies the problem most people talk of - "you are too used to COD".

That may be a correct statement to make & guess what; with over 6 days online (that's 144 hours) I am STILL not bored of COD. KZ2 is a little like Resistance 2 which I found dreadful online however, perhaps a little more responsive than this.

The controls are pretty poor in my opinion, there is little response when zooming and tracking a target then all of a sudden WHOOSH - your gun will fly all over the shop. Character movement is okay but pretty slow and I think that's what they wanted, a weightier feel which I can live with but the same sluggish feel with the aiming completely ruined it the experience for me.

Admittedly this isn't a ballistics simulator and you would expect some issues here and there but the hit detection can be completely inconsistent - you will occasionally drop someone with a couple bullets to the body but more often than not, you will be required to invest over 1 full clip on them. A Head shot are different however, the result being instant death but, getting a headshot with the standard weapons and at a distance is very difficult.

The online battles are predictable, you will spawn, run to one part of the map, have a battle where you will kill somebody then die. Respawn and repeat. Corridor battles are a norm too, for all the wide open spaces like the desert level, the remaining maps you end up in corridors which can leave you feeling somewhat claustrophobic and possibly bored at the same old routine!

You cannot invite friends into lobbies or games, it is down to them to log on, select your name and try & join your game of which, 9 times out of 10 will be full.

Voice chat has some great features especially proximity whereby you can hear the enemy and teammates alike when you are near them, you will hear your nemesis when he or she kills you and if you join a mini squad (4 members), you will hear them at anytime, anywhere on the map, other people though, you will hear only when near them.

3/5
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2009 4:44 PM GMT

Duronic HPS2 2500W Double Boiling Table Top Hob
Duronic HPS2 2500W Double Boiling Table Top Hob
Offered by DURONIC

1.0 out of 5 stars One plate breaks down - common fault?, 26 Jan. 2009
I have now owned 2 of these hobs due to awaiting delivery of a new cooker.

Unfortunately and on both occasions, the large ring on both units stopped working. The first unit failed after 2 weeks and the other after about a week.

There is nothing wrong with my electrics and I have never had a problem with any other appliance. I tried the fuses etc but it is definately down to this hob.

It's okay if you want a hob that works for a few weeks but not if you need it working longer.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Emmy Award winning controller!, 2 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The original PS3 controller, DuelShock 3 is by far and wide THE best pad.

I have had the misfortune to play on a number of aftermarket pads that are manufactured by 3rd parties and although they do the job, they cannot compete with the sheer quality and durability of Sony's controllers.

The DuelShock 3 has been anticipated since the release of the PS3 due to the fact that is now the wireless Sixaxis motion control is coupled with RUMBLE!

If I were to buy a new controller then I would spend that little bit more and stick with SONY. I mean, a pad that that was given an Emmy Award for "Peripheral Development and Technological Impact of Video Game Controllers" must be half decent right?

The decision though is entirely up to you.

DualShock 3 PS3 controller (PS3)
DualShock 3 PS3 controller (PS3)
Offered by Leweston Place

5.0 out of 5 stars The original! The best! Sony Dualshock!, 2 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The original PS3 controller, DuelShock 3 is by far and wide THE best pad.

The decision though is entirely up to you.

Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance

5.0 out of 5 stars even better than I anticipated, 2 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think this game was probably the most highly anticipated games of all time. The buzz prior to release was unavoidable. From kids on the street to office workers. Everyone was really buzzing about this game.

GTAIV is awesome, there is no denying that but I was somewhat surprised that deep down inside, I still regard San Andreas my personal favourite of all the GTA's. Maybe it was because I was a little younger and little more innocent. Maybe it is because I am now spoilt for choice when it comes to videogames. Whatever it may be, GTAIV is a technical marvel and superior to any game in this genre. There aren't that many anyway but the bench mark set by Rockstar is unbelievably high/

Some of the improvement's within the game are such things like your character can now smash windows on cars when stealing them, which makes the scenario more realistic. You now have a mobile phone which I think is a brilliant feature; you receive and can make calls to in-game characters anytime you wish. You can go on the GTA internet as such, with many parody websites that are often hilarious. You can use the new cover system which is a very good addition to the combat aspects of the game (which is 3rd person for those who do not know). The physics engine is great and the accidents really reflect this, the motion is very realistic and you often feel Niko Bellic's (the protagonist) pain.

There are lots of different vehicles with which to wreak havoc on the residents of Liberty City including; Fire Engines, A police chopper called The Annihilator which is equipped with machine guns, motorcycles, boats, sports cars and the legendary yellow taxi cabs of which I always wonder, in the world of GTA, you would simply not want to be a cab driver, there's toooooo much competition - simply thousands of cabbies! The taxies are a great way of navigating the large map either instantly or scenically, the choice there is yours, you simple ay a small fee for the use. I often used the taxi when I wanted to get to the other end of the map faster than if I decided to steal a car and drive there normally.

Attention to detail in GTAIV is higher than ever, people in the city have jobs to do (like road workers and street sweepers); it really is like a bustling metropolis. The dialogue is out of this world! For instance, I was taking part in a mission and I failed a fair few times, the mission involved driving somewhere and when one of the characters ran out of different things to say, he just said something like "HEY, DO YOU MIND IF WE JUST LISTEN TO THE RADIO?" I mean, it's no revolution but it just shows you how much attention has been paid to this game rather than looping the same dialogue, they do that, it's brilliant. I think out of all my game time on GTAIV I may have heard the same phrase 4 or 5 times which means that you hardly even notice!

The missions are in abundance and are really enjoyable; they are certainly not as repetitive as the missions in some of the previous titles.

The online mode is really good fun too, there's 15 different modes (Team Deathmatch, Cops & Crooks and Team Car Jack City to name a few) and you have up to 16 player in these (I think it's less in certain modes like maybe 12). With the online mode you have plenty to keep you busy.

All in all this game is as near to perfect as it can be. There are a few things that could have been retained from earlier games but in all honesty, I love the direction Rockstar took with GTAIV.

Rockstar - I salute you!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)
Offered by GameXchange_Web

5.0 out of 5 stars RPG of the highest order, 2 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bethesda Game Studios achieved something that is to-date, unrivaled on any next-gen console in my opinion.

Oblivion is both beautiful and harrowing, vast but at the same time very intriquit, it has immense depth whilst giving the option to explore only if you desire.

Your character is customizable in nearly all aspects from the race, type of player you wish to be and exactly how you wish your character to appear in game. Depending on what race you choose depends on what attributes you will be assigned like how intelligent you will be or how good you are at bartering to how you fair with different kind of weaponry. Will all these aspects, the game has such longevity and replayability it is untrue. I have owned this game on 2 separate occasions now as the first time I traded it in. Then I came across the "Game of the Year Edition" which I didn't previously have. My Oh My, the game is EPIC in every which way what with the additional expansions (Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine). I must have played this game well over 60 hours with much more to play and I was not once bored. Okay so some caves, castes etc are identikit in that they look identical but I could see past that. Missions are plenty and varied, like the following guilds you can join (all at the same time if you like):-

The Fighters Guild - you are there as an army for hire.
The Mages Guild - You are there for the good of the mages, you will learn magic etc
The Thieves Guild - You are hired to steal many items for the guild
The Dark Brotherhood - You are sent on assassination plots, here you get to act like a hitman & "whack" people.

Then you have the expansion packs, they add easily an additional 20 hours (minimum) to the overall game. They really are the cherry on the icing and blew me completely away. Where you actually can become a god or get a team of knights together - FANTASTIC stuff, the stuff of boyhood dreams!

The graphics are great and the sound is really good with voice acting from such people as Patrick Steward (Captain Jean-Luc Picard of Star Trek and Sean Bean (Silent Hill movie or the TV series Sharp). Although these two legends are just a couple of the voice actors, the dialogue can become overused and many of the characters have the same voice but nevertheless, this doesn't distract from the brilliance of the game too much). There are a few bugs and glitches that I came across but for the size of this game, I simply didn't care. There has been so much effort poured into this game you really do appreciate what has been done.

I cannot do this game justice and put into words how wonderful this game is and just how engrossing I personally found it to be.

I'm actually thinking about buying it for a third time!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition (PS3)

5.0 out of 5 stars RPG of the highest order, 2 Jan. 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

The Fighters Guild - you are there as an army for hire.
The Thieves Guild - You are hired to steal many items for the guild

I'm actually thinking about buying it for a third time!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3