Profile for C JOHNSON > Reviews

Content by C JOHNSON

C JOHNSON "oldmankit" (Thailand)

Page: 1 | 2
Finding Spirit in Zen Shiatsu
Finding Spirit in Zen Shiatsu
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, inspiring, informative, 5 Aug 2012
I read this book in one sitting. It was very easy to read but was packed with great ideas. His weaving of autobiographical details with what he was saying made it fun to read.

I'm interested in learning Shiatsu, and have already read two quite heavy-duty books on meridian and 5 element theory. This book did not go into detail on things like that--though it did give a lucid introduction to them both--instead getting to the heart, the spirit, of Zen Shiatsu. That he shares with poetic language and fun stories.

I imagine this book would be just as interesting to an experienced practitioner who is looking for fresh inspiration for her practice.

Incidentally, I already practice other forms of complimentary medicine, and found some of the client interaction and business development notes in this book incredibly useful. I will put them to use right away.

(No problems with the Kindle version of this book.)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to Canon Speedlites for people on a budget, 25 Nov 2011
I simply cannot afford Canon Speedlites, but bought this after reading generally positive reviews. In my experience, they held out. It works in every situation I have tried it, reliably. The only minor things that could be improved are 1) the test button is unreliable 2) there is no locking mechanism. Therefore if I hang a heavy ring flash adaptor there is no way it will stay in horizontal position (because there's no lock, as on the Canon version), and flops down to the bottom notch. Small gripe; I could mod it somehow if this was important.

The original manual is a little unclear because of translation issues; I found an updated one that had obviously been reviewed by a knowledgeable native speaker. Downloadable here: [...]

When I'm ready to move onto a two light set-up, I'll be getting the Yongnuo 565 (with ettl)!

The Shadow of the Galilean (SCM Classics)
The Shadow of the Galilean (SCM Classics)
by Gerd Theissen
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, 1 Nov 2010
I enjoyed this book so much that I'm now reading it again. I very rarely do that.

This is a cross between a novel and a look at the historical Jesus. It's written in a very engaging style and you never know what's going to happen next.

If there was one thing that has ever opened my eyes to the political context that Jesus was in, this is it. And frankly, now I feel that the only way we can even start to stay we understand the historical Jesus is by looking at his context.

A nice spin-off in the novel format is that you are likely to remember things you might forget if they were presented in a traditional way. Your mind will be full of images of the past, all based on history and scholarship.

Mayfair Games - The Settlers of Catan
Mayfair Games - The Settlers of Catan
Offered by Funagain Games USA
Price: 35.22

5.0 out of 5 stars What a game, 1 Nov 2010
I come from a family of board game lovers. We've tried and loved many. This is the new favourite.

This game is fun and different every time. It is a perfect balance of strategy and luck. At the end of the game when one player declares herself the winner, it is not infrequent that one or two other people were about to do the same on their turns. It is so well balanced that usually no-one is clearly flying ahead in the lead, and even the winning player has to keep a careful eye on the others.

The great thing is that this game lasts about an hour to an hour-and-a-half each time. This is so much nicer than 3 hours+ at some of the classics (monopoly, risk).

A nice thing in this game is that there is no fighting. It is more of a race for (aggressive) expansion in a limited land mass than a call to arms, which is refreshing.

We can't get enough of this game and often play two games back-to-back.

Behold the Beauty of the Lord: Praying with Icons
Behold the Beauty of the Lord: Praying with Icons
by Henri J. M. Nouwen
Price: 10.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice book, just didn't do it for me, 1 Nov 2010
This is a lovely little book, and Henri Nouwen writes with his usual beauty and grace. I tried the exercises, and eventually just had to admit that this style of praying isn't for me.

She Who is
She Who is
by Elizabeth A. Johnson
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What a resource, 1 Nov 2010
This review is from: She Who is (Paperback)
Written in a style that will appeal to both academics and lay (with some experience of the field of feminism or social constructionism, perhaps), this book is chock-full of resources in feminist theology. It is written with an interesting an engaging style, and I found I very quickly got through the whole book, despite its thickness and density.

For people who like the bible, there are plenty of references and discussions of language and images that are not traditionally focused on in church.

For people who are looking for a more liberating way of talking about and imaging God, this may just make you excited.

Cho Ku Rei: Reiki Healing
Cho Ku Rei: Reiki Healing
Price: 17.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the kind of music to put on when in the bath, drinking red wine, 1 Nov 2010
I was attracted to this CD after hearing it on an internet radio station. It's a fair recording, but only (in my opinion) as an accompaniment to healing or meditation, where you don't want too much going on with the music to distract you. Like much music in this genre, it is relatively bland, and so if you DO find yourself preparing a bath with red wine, I'd recommend something with a little more in the way of dynamics and interest.

For people that like soft, repetitive music, this would probably be a solid purchase.

Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System as a Path to the Self
by Anodea Judith
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful resource, 1 Nov 2010
It has been a long time since I read this book, because I was forced to give it away when I was backpacking - it's heavy. I would highly recommend it to people interested in healing, particularly the blend of Eastern teachings on the chakras and Western ideas on psychology. It is good for both understanding your own journey, and being a participant on the journey's of others.

This is not your typical New Age handbook. It's a textbook, and has a lot of detail to get through.

I have read very few books in this field that were more lucid or instructive.

MULTIMAT TREKKER COMPACT 25 SELF-INFLATING MAT- MOD/COYOTE
MULTIMAT TREKKER COMPACT 25 SELF-INFLATING MAT- MOD/COYOTE

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all boxes, 7 Oct 2010
Packs up so small. Rolls out (ONLY 3/4 length) and within a minute or two it's a nicely thick mattress. What more can you want?

I haven't tested it in cold weather, but for general purpose it's great.

I have used other, more expensive brands, and so far I can't see why this little mat is any worse for being cheaper.

MSR WhisperLite Internationale
MSR WhisperLite Internationale

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong, light, powerful, 7 Oct 2010
This stove has it all. It's light, small, strong, fits into my set of pots and pans really nicely. The fact that the fuel tank IS the fuel bottle is great. Why have a fuel tank plus a fuel bottle?

The only problem is that it is VERY difficult to make this baby simmer. It is simply a rocket and will boil water in no time. However, for the gourmet campers, you will find things such as frying a real challenge, as it is really hard getting the flame down to a low enough level. There really are only three settings: off, high, and in incredibly high. If you persist, try this. Turn the fuel lever to fully off, and then move it the tiniest amount in the on direction. It may go out, or you may just get a simmer.

However, I love it. It will take all different kinds of liquid fuels. I've only been running it on Coleman fuel, because I'm caring for it well, but I'm sure I'll resort to good old unleaded soon. I've used several stoves before and this is my favourite.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2013 8:16 AM GMT