Profile for P.G. > Reviews

Content by P.G.

P.G.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

5.0 out of 5 stars otherwise I have been delighted with both, 30 Aug 2014
I bought this to replace a previous Kindle which had been among luggage stolen. The only possible improvement would be to make the page turner a bit lower on the side, to be easier to reach when holding the Kindle in a case; otherwise I have been delighted with both. My real annoyance was to lose all the books I had bought over the months, and I was delighted to find when the new one arrived that I could download all the previously bought ones from the archives onto it.

The Victorian Kitchen
The Victorian Kitchen
by Jennifer Davies

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen (Paperback)
A fascinating glimpse of kitchen life in the past, in much practical detail. My interest is really in Edwardian times, not Victorian, but since the cook's memories are from the 1930s, no doubt these details cover that period as well.

The Victorian Christmas
The Victorian Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read for Christmas, 23 Dec 2013
A fascinating account of food, games and family life with the Victorians at Christmas, with glances back at earlier centuries. An easy read to dip into over the Christmas season.

The Book of Household Management
The Book of Household Management

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating glimpse of the past, 10 Dec 2013
I had often heard this book mentioned and am very pleased to have had a chance to read it. It makes a fascinating look at the past, all the details of the different servants' duties, for instance, plus incredibly detailed recipies for all occasions, and some (rather odd to modern eyes) background information. I didn't find it difficult to navigate through the pages. The page numbers given in the index don't apply to the Kindle version, of course, but give an idea where to start looking.

"Shut UP!" He Explained: A Writer's Guide to the Uses and Misuses of Dialogue (Classic Wisdom on Writing)

3.0 out of 5 stars No great advantage, 12 Aug 2013
I avoided this book for some time because of the title. (Meant to be the worst possible example, I assume, but I simply found it unbelievable.) However, having eventually succumbed, I read it with interest. Here and there I found it helpful, but as with many writing guides, there was really little in it that I couldn't have worked out myself by reading and analysing for myself the dialogue in well-written books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2013 2:09 AM GMT

Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains
Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 12 Aug 2013
I have just read this for the second time, but I find Catriona McPherson's books better the second time round. Unlike the classical detective story, where the reader is led down promising but wrong paths all through, the paths in these books simply lead one into further and further tangles, and make a first reading baffling. However, there is so much fascinating period detail and vivid characterisation that a second reading is just as good, with the advantage that the false trails are aparent to be appreciated on the way.
I'm not sure that I believed in the solution, but it really didn't matter..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2013 4:06 PM BST

Prayers to Start my Day
Prayers to Start my Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 12 Aug 2013
I was looking for set prayers to use in my devotions now and then. I found this book just what I wanted. It seems to be laid out for use in a group, with spaces for bits of liturgy interspersed, but I had no trouble in simply using the prayers and meditations on their own. Calm, encouraging and thoughtful. Great.

Writers' Handbook 2013: UK Directory
Writers' Handbook 2013: UK Directory

2.0 out of 5 stars no index, 24 Jun 2013
Without an index, a book like this is fairly useless. Unless you want to read every page, there is no way of finding any particular kind of publisher or agent. I may yet do that, but haven't found the time yet.

Blood Lines (Bill Slider Mystery Book 5)
Blood Lines (Bill Slider Mystery Book 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars a little confusing, 24 Jun 2013
I always enjoy the Bill Slider books, especially the well-characterised members of the team and their relationship. Usually I enjoy the plot too, but I didn't feel this was one of her best. There are too many separate characters to remember easily and I found myself having to go back several chapters to remember who the one mentioned was and why we were investigating him. As usual, though, there were very well described backgrounds, and the story did carry me through to the end.

Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses
Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable romp, 31 May 2013
I enjoyed this as much as the earlier Dandy Gilver books, possibly more. It is, as usual, a barely-believable romp, but Dandy is such a convincing character - with Nanny’s severe upbringing continually conflicting with her wistful longings for silk clothes and bedroom fires - and the twists and turns of the plot are so page-turning that the unlikelihood of a school where the girls are better treated than the teachers and the head is raking in money by means only discovered in the last pages only adds to the fun.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3