Profile for J Betson > Reviews

Content by J Betson

J Betson "Scallop Shell" (Southern England)

Page: 1 | 2
Kingsford's Stonor Letters and Papers 1290-1483 (Camden Classic Reprints)
Kingsford's Stonor Letters and Papers 1290-1483 (Camden Classic Reprints)
by Christine Carpenter
Price: 25.07

5.0 out of 5 stars family history research hit if you are a Betson, 28 Jun 2014
I would recommend this book to anyone with the surname Betson, because there are several letters concerning a Betson, and it is difficult to find family history evidence from that long ago.

It would also be of interest to Richard lll enthusiasts, as it dates from that time.

Fascinating stuff!

BBC iPlayer Radio (Kindle Tablet Edition)
BBC iPlayer Radio (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars updated bbc radio player app needed now Amazon the BBC have changed it and the old one does not work, 9 May 2014
The BBC has updated the radio player app (9 May 2014) and there is no Kindle Fire version, so I now have no radio player, and, thank you BBC I have lost all the podcasts that I had downloaded. Not happy..

Amazon, update this app asap!

Father Brown Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Father Brown Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mark Williams
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Father Brown - the best detective series on TV!, 8 Feb 2014
Bravo BBC for at last seeing sense and bringing this out on DVD in this country. Why did you make us wait so long? I was so desperate to get hold of it on DVD that I bought the version that had been released by the BBC in The Netherlands, and very good it is too - it has the original soundtrack, in English - but I'm so relieved that Series 1 is now available in this country.

This is the best detective series that I have seen for a long time, and it is worthy of being on at peak time in the evening, but we must not begrudge afternoon viewers a good programme for a change.

Mark Williams is excellent as Father Brown, giving the character real depth. It is refreshing to see an honest, descent priest being treated seriously in a TV drama; to have his belief treated seriously, as part of the plot. Almost always in TV dramas priests turn out to be villains, or are treated as buffoons, or the religious part of them is somehow left out. Not here. Father Brown is intelligent, sincere, strong willed, a believer, moral, and at the same time an entertaining and effective detective.

I love the 1950s atmosphere and the beautiful dresses that the ladies, especially Lady Felicia, wear!

The main characters are Father Brown, the village RC priest; the Parish Secretary/in effect his PA, played wonderfully by Sorcha Cusack; the local Police Inspector; Lady Felicia, the slightly frisky lady from the local "big house"; Lady Felicia's chauffeur, who is a bit of a spiv, but with a heart of gold.

I thoroughly recommend this DVD set. You will be entertained. What I want to know is - when does it come out on Blu-ray, and what about Series 2? Surely we won't have to wait a year for it!!!

Buy and watch Father Brown - you won't regret it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 12:13 PM GMT

Walter The Worm
Walter The Worm
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A time for turning?, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Walter The Worm (Kindle Edition)
A good giggle with amusing pictures. Considering it is free it is jolly good value. You can either take it at face value and have a laugh, or you can consider the profound underlying meaning. Food for an animated discussion, particularly if you are a blackbird, a robin, or one of the "insignificant" little people of this world.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven
The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars How do our actions affect others?, 20 Oct 2013
This is a thought provoking, heart warming and inspiring book. In some ways it is a bit in the style of the film "It's a Wonderful Life", although a different story of course.
If you have never thought about why we are here, or how our actions affect others, this will get you thinking.
I found it easy to read: I couldn't put it down. I would thoroughly recommend it.

The Daughter Of Time
The Daughter Of Time
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Investigation, 18 Oct 2012
Someone recommended this book to me around 40 years ago, and I had never got around to reading it.

The recent discovery of the Skeleton in the Car Park in Leicester, which may be that of Richard III, reminded me of the book, so I grabbed my Kindle, had a search, and downloaded it. If things had been that easy forty years ago, I would have read it sooner!

It is a fascinating and detailed bit of detective work on whether Richard did or did not have the Princes in the Tower murdered. A bored policeman recovering in hospital from an accident pieces together the evidence concerning the long ago disappearance of the boys, and the character assassination carried out on Richard by Henry Tudor.

The late nineteen forties setting of the book was intruiging too. It is not often that you read something that appears to have been written in that short period of time between the end of the Second World War and the accession of Queen Elizabeth II.

One thing that bothered me - why was it called "The Daughter of Time". I read right through it thinking "It's bound to say something in a minute". I reached the end - nothing. Then I happened to "rewind" the book to the front cover and "turn" to the next page, which does not come up when you start reading the book for the first time. There, staring me in the face was the quotation that answered my question.

I thoroughly recommend this book, and if the Skeleton in the Car Park does turn out to be that of King Richard III, it will be a very topical book too.

The Portuguese Nun [DVD]
The Portuguese Nun [DVD]
Dvd ~ Leonor Baldaque
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like an Impressionist Painting, 23 April 2012
This review is from: The Portuguese Nun [DVD] (DVD)
This is a stunningly beautiful film. It is worth looking at just for the camera work. It also includes several atmospheric and enjoyable Portuguese songs sung by performers in Lisbon bars.
It is definitely not a fast moving action film, so if that is what you are looking for this is not for you. Just settle down in comfort, relax, and enjoy a leisurely immersion in the sights and folk music of Lisbon. It is a rewarding film, with a surprising ending, an ending which is, strangely, highly appropriate to what is happening in the UK today - but you have to pay close attention to what is being said.
The actress who plays Julie is mesmerising, as is the actress who plays the nun (although her part is shorter). Together they are rivetting. The little boy, is, of course, adorable.
This film deserves to be better know. I only came across it by accident, and I'm glad that I did.

The Sociopath Next Door
The Sociopath Next Door
Price: 5.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 24 Jan 2012
Speaking as a Christian, and not a psychologist, I found this book a brilliant essay on the nature of conscience, the age-old fight between good and evil, and the moral and theological problems posed by people who do not possess a conscience.
Staring in to the abyss, for a couple of seconds only, of what it would be like to have no conscience and no feelings, ever, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end with the sense of impending evil. Don't go there! It reminded me of Matthew Ch 4 verses 5-11, where the devil says to Jesus, "All this I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me." It must be a living hell not to care about anybody or anything, at all.
I particularly liked the ancient Indian parable "The Wise Woman and the Stone", in Chapter 12.
While reading this book, I was reminded of a programme about "Game Theory" that was shown on BBC2 in March 2007. From what I remember, this theory, which was created during the Cold War, assumes that everyone acts totally selfishly at all times - and this is what the economic and moral system of the West is now based on. It seems to me that Game Theory is psychopathic, and assumes that the entire population is psychopathic, which of course they mostly are not. No wonder our economic system and society in the West is in such a mess! Isn't it time that we returned to a less selfish philosophy?
On a personal note, I realised to my horror, while reading this book, that somebody who caused a lot of grief in my life many years ago exhibited the classic symptoms of a charming and devious psychopath/sociopath, and almost certainly was one. It was a shock, but it made me feel better about myself, and more aware. I am now taking the Thirteen Rules to heart. So, thank you Doctor Stout.
I strongly recommend everyone to read this book and so protect themselves, and also to think seriously about where our society is going.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 9:32 AM GMT

The Nativity [DVD]
The Nativity [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tatiana Maslany
Price: 6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely re-telling of The Nativity, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Nativity [DVD] (DVD)
This respectful and charming version of the Nativity, written by Tony Jordan, was shown in four half-hour episodes on BBC1 in the few days before Christmas 2010, and it was repeated in the mornings in two episodes over Christmas 2011.
A familiar face in it is Andrew Buchan, of "Garrow's Law" fame, as Joseph, and another one is Peter Capaldi as one of the Magi.
Some of it is necessarily invented, because the details in the Bible are quite sparse, but it is true to the spirit of the Biblical account, and all the bits you would expect are in there.
It is beautifully filmed. Some of the pictures that come to mind for me are: Saturn's rings; the stars reflected in the water in the font-like vessel which stands in the star-viewing room of the Magi; these same Magi, in their colourful robes, on the terrace overlooking the sea in Babylonia; the three white camels running through the black night towards Bethlehem.
The final episode is particularly affecting. It presses all the right sentimental, tear-jerking buttons.
All in all, a lovely re-telling of the Nativity, and, in my opinion, well worth watching.

The Way [DVD]
The Way [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Sheen
Price: 5.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Uplifting, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Way [DVD] (DVD)
"The Way" is the Camino de Santiago, the Christian pilgrimage route from the French Pyrenees through the Basque country, and down in to Spain to the church at Compostella that houses the bones of St James.

An American man, whose son has been killed in an accident on the Camino, travels to France to collect his body, and ends up walking the pilgrimage route that his son had been following. On the way he meets several other pilgrims and hears their stories.

It sounds sad, and it is, but it is not depressing, and is ultimately uplifting to watch. There is some good scenery, and fascinating film of the giant censer which swings back and forth in the church at Compostella.

If you are a James Nesbitt fan, he is in it quite a lot.

I found it an enjoyable and undemanding two hours' viewing. Worth watching.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2012 10:17 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2