Profile for John Jameson-davis > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Onion Field [DVD][Import][1979]
The Onion Field [DVD][Import][1979]
Dvd ~ John Savage

4.0 out of 5 stars A silly comic beginning gave way to a serious drama., 19 Aug. 2015
A strange and most unusual film. It started off with peculiar attempts at comedy, slapstick almost, and I was unsure about it. Gradually, that wore off and it developed into a serious, thrilling film which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't understand why it began as a comedy, though.

I'll Follow You Down
I'll Follow You Down
Dvd ~ John Paul Ruttan
Offered by wmdservices

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 11 Aug. 2015
This review is from: I'll Follow You Down (DVD)
I thought this was very good with a splendid pace. Once or twice the acting let it down. For example, the father didn't seem amazed that his son had turned up in the past - he seemed to take it all in his stride. There should have been more astonishment and carryings on about the marvels of what they had both done and been through.

Kingsman: The Secret Service [DVD] [2015]
Kingsman: The Secret Service [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth

1.0 out of 5 stars Childish., 30 July 2015
Not my kind of thing at all. I saw it by accident. Very childish. The very opening sequence of ghetto blaster and cheap CGI put me off instantly. I watched five minutes more and that was enough. I like doom and gloom.

Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Offered by Acid Vibes

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally and uttelry puerile rubbish for stupid people., 28 July 2015
This review is from: Snowpiercer (Region 2) (DVD)
What starts out as a seemingly intriguing, serious, thrilling disaster movie very soon becomes pure farce the moment that Tilda Swinton enters. The film is utterly ruined by her ridiculous cartoon-type Deirdre Barlow-looking creation. A man's arm is frozen solid as a cruel punishment and then in an absurd scene it is smashed to pieces with a huge cartoon-type mallet. The man's 'agonised' face throughout his ordeal is played absolutely for laughs - as are the expressions on other people's faces. It can't be taken seriously, I'm afraid. I watched a bit more and there are other similar stupid moments like this. This film can't decide whether it's a comedy or a tragedy. I watched as far as the scene where the prisoners reached a far carriage containing brutes holding axes. A terrifying fight resumed, suddenly cut short by a New Year's Eve celebration! Totally and utterly puerile. The CGI was overdone, too, nothing looking right. I could watch no more.

Killer Joe [DVD]
Killer Joe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emile Hirsch

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this supposed to be a comedy or what?, 26 July 2015
This review is from: Killer Joe [DVD] (DVD)
A very peculiar film. I couldn't decide whether it was supposed to be in any way funny. I have a horrid feeling that it was meant to be. I didn't get it.

The Homesman [DVD] [2014]
The Homesman [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Jane Eyre in the wild west., 24 July 2015
This review is from: The Homesman [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I found the first twenty minutes utterly confusing. One minute we see a Jane Eyre-looking woman feeding and proposing to a man in the wild west then we see a load of screaming women somewhere else in the snow (at first I thought it was in Russia), killing their babies and shouting in a strange foreign language (Russian/Dutch?). Then back to Jane Eyre and a meeting of the townspeople in the church which I didn't fully understand. They talk about a horrid man and decide that Jane Eyre should go on the journey and collect the 'mad women' and take them somewhere. On the way she rescues a horrid man from a noose and it seems very clear that he is the man mentioned in the church but he turns out to be someone else! Then the story finally gets going and starts to make sense. I enjoyed it very much from then on, a most unusual, peculiar film with a strange plot. Wonderfully rich characterisations, mood and scenery. I still don't know what language those women were speaking, though, but they weren't Russian!

Collateral - Single Disc Edition [DVD] [2004]
Collateral - Single Disc Edition [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Last half hour spoils an otherwise brilliant film., 25 Jun. 2015
The first hour and a half was stylish and thrilling but the last half hour was ridiculous and, despite the thrilling chase, I got bored and couldn't wait for it to end.

Awakened [DVD]
Awakened [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steven Bauer
Offered by Home Entertainment Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire., 24 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Awakened [DVD] (DVD)
Dire. The opening credits are the only things worth watching. The rest is absolutely dreadful. Everything is forced and unnatural. After only five minutes I realised it was worse than a B movie. Who pays to produce such rubbish?

End of Amnesia
End of Amnesia

5.0 out of 5 stars Just amazing., 20 Jun. 2015
This review is from: End of Amnesia (Audio CD)
Incredible.

Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness meditation for everyday life
Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness meditation for everyday life
by Jon Kabat-Zinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent., 20 Jun. 2015
Every word is a delight and a treasure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9