Profile for M A Wood > Reviews

Content by M A Wood

M A Wood

The Screwtape Letters: Letters from a Senior to a Junior Devil (C. S. Lewis Signature Classic) (C. Lewis Signature Classic)
by C. S. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Lewis Said It Was Not Fun To Write - David Foster Wallace Said It Was His Favourite Book, 17 Nov. 2014
'The Screwtape Letters' by C.S Lewis

David Foster Wallace, a very fashionable US author who had stories printed in The New Yorker, Playboy and The Paris Review put 'The Screwtape Letters' number one on his list of top ten books.

I didn't know that when I read Screwtape. I got to Screwtape as the result of it being read out, edited, as a book of the week on BBC Radio Four. It was funny.

Straightaway when I read the first page I got a laugh from something not on the radio.

If I explain the book's logistics: Screwtape - a senior devil, is advising his nephew, Wormwood, an apprentice demon - on how to convert a human - to 'Our Father Below'. Screwtape tells Wormwood he should not suppose mere argument will work. *Uncle Screwtape* informs Wormwood of the target's feeble (what you could call post-modern) mind-set:

'He doesn't think of doctrines as primarily 'true' or 'false', but as 'academic' or 'practical' 'outworn' or 'contemporary', 'conventional' or 'ruthless'. Jargon, not argument is your best ally in keeping him away from *charity*.

If that paragraph amuses you - and if you have read middle-brow arts criticism, I hope you at least recognise what it says, I advise you to make the small investment required, and read this book.

Because along with such sharp viewing of things modern, this book has shown me, better than any other thing I have encountered - how my own mind works. It has shown me to me, warts and all - my pendulum nature, my evasiveness. My self-examination - and to what silly extremes that can go.

But - I am aware - there is a hurdle that will prejudice many from this book. The book was written as a Christian document.

To an open mind (whatever that means), for instance, an agnostic like myself, that is okay. I admit spiritual thought, I shrug my shoulders at atheists, term-lovers, who will talk about other dimensions but dismiss the spiritual because it is old and mentions the 'G' word.

__Do three things to enjoy this book__
If the important, but tired, corporations of religion have put you off reading anything of a religious frame, there are three things you should do when reading this book.

One - substitute the word *Charity* whenever reference is made to 'Him' or, 'The Enemy' or the Church or Christianity.

Two - and I don't believe Mr Lewis would like this at all - I feel I have a Slubgob or Triptweeze (see book) on my shoulder making me write this: think of the book as a Pixar type thing. This should not be hard. The book is very entertaining. Uncle Screwtape is an articulate learned character. His wonderfully dry patronising of feeble humans and things modern, is funny.

Three - accept Chapter Two as hard (er) work. There is a narrative being established. The human target is a convert to Christianity. Screwtape talks about the vacillation in this faith. The reader can draw lessons regarding relationships with their own enthusiasms.

Another thought - you could think of Screwtape and Wormwood, as being the negativity, bad thoughts, that we all suffer, that we let in, so easily.

__The Contents __
Screwtape, the uncle is a senior devil. Wormwood is an apprentice *working* on a human. We read Screwtape's letters, his advice on what Wormwood should make the human think, in order to get him to 'Our Father Below'. Screwtape references Wormwood's letters. It is worth noting here the book was written in 1940 (Plus ca change)

'You say you are delirious with joy because the European humans have started another of their wars ... I must warn you not to hope too much from a war. Of course a war is entertaining ...

Via Wormwood's letters we follow Wormwood's patient as he makes new friends. They bring a different point-of-view to the patient. Screwtape is pleased. They are rich, smart, superficially intellectual - brightly sceptical about everything.

Screwtape tells Wormwood to encourage the relationship. He tells Wormwood that eventually the patient may realise his new friends are not so good for him but Screwtape gives Wormwood a tactic

'You can persuade him ...to continue the new acquaintance on the ground he is, in some unspecified way, doing these people 'good' by seeing them ...'
The relationship continues but Screwtape is not so pleased to hear that the new friends are great laughers.

'I divide the causes of human laughter into Joy, Fun, the Joke Proper, and Flippancy'.

Screwtape doesn't trust Joy. During Joy humans do things Screwtape doesn't understand. He fears loss of control. Screwtape complains to Wormwood

'The facility with which the smallest witticisms produce laughter (at a time of Joy) show the witticism cannot be the real cause of the laughter ... (and) Fun is closely related to Joy - a sort of emotional froth arising from the play instinct'

Screwtape only really trusts Flippancy

'Among flippant people the Joke is always assumed to have been made. No-one
actually makes it; but every serious subject is discussed in a manner which implies
that they have already found a ridiculous side to it ... It is a thousand miles away from joy: it deadens, instead of sharpening, the intellect; and it excites no affection between those who practice it'.

__ Fear Avarice Lust __
What I particularly enjoyed was the book's willingness to take on very basic things. We are told by twenty-first philosophers, as much as we are told by Zen masters, that the finite moment contains the infinite, we should live in the moment. But how should we do this?

Screwtape tells Wormwood living in the present is also what The Enemy wants. Screwtape warns Wormwood not to let the Target dwell on a particular method to achieve a mental in the present. Contrarily, Screwtape tells Wormwood they should try to make their patient live in the future.

'Biological necessity makes all their passions point in that direction already, so that thought about the future inflames hope and fear ... nearly all vices are rooted in the future. Gratitude looks to the past and love to the present; fear, avarice, lust and ambition look ahead'.

__ Humility and Pride and Self-Awareness ___
Screwtape becomes upset when the patient stops making large claims about himself.

Screwtape is concerned their target has discarded his conceits regarding the future and has only hope for the daily and hourly necessary strength to meet the day's rigours. Screwtape is concerned the patient has become humble.

'Have you drawn his attention to the fact? Almost certainly pride at his own humility will appear. If he awakes to the danger and tries to smother this new form of pride, make him proud at his attempt - and so on through as many stages as you please. But don't try this too long, for fear you awake his sense of humour and proportion in which case he will merely laugh at his circular thought and go to bed'.

Screwtape talks more about humility.

'You must conceal from the patient the true end of Humility. Let him think of it not as
self-forgetfulness, but as a certain kind of opinion (namely, low) of his own character ... thousands of humans have been brought to think that humility means pretty women trying to believe they are ugly and clever men trying to believe they are fools. And since what they are trying to believe may in some cases be manifest nonsense, they cannot succeed ... we have the chance of keeping their minds revolving on themselves'.

___'Know Thyself' said the ancient Greeks ___
'Be Yourself' you are implored by songs, well-wishers and the general culture. 'The Screwtape Letters' I believe, is a window to catch the ever-learning self.

Its writer C.S (Clive Staples) Lewis was awarded a medal for bravery in the first world war. He returned to studies after the war and became an Oxford academic who knew his intricate way around Sophistry and Rhetoric. He was a late convert to Christianity and you can bet he used every ounce, every twist, every nuance of the Sophistry and Rhetoric he knew, to challenge - in his own mind - his own conversion.

I believe Screwtape is a diary, of types. How Lewis found himself considering his mind as his belief fluctuated. How he worked it out - how he jousted pleasure, (try to make the target abandon what he really likes in favour of the 'best' people, the right food, the 'important' books) with the God he was tying his flag to.

Screwtape was popular from the beginning. Grudgingly he wrote a follow up. He said it was 'not fun' (Wikipedia) to write and that his Screwtape writing days were done.

__ Intellectual Fashion__
In the style of the paragraph I first quoted, where Screwtape advises Wormwood to concentrate on jargon not argument, 'The Screwtape Letters' would be dismissed - Xtian - no more.

Pity the loss to those who would be affected, interpret the comment as condemnation, and accept it.

Western culture has been around for a long time, an awful lot of its best thinkers, were religious believers. Just like the blues in music, they are often the source of ideas, that have been copied - but not bettered, just diluted and corrupted by insincere repetition.

David Foster Wallace, like other originals, did not achieve work with ideas he was happy with, by following the fashion mob. He looked for the source.

Sylvia Plath (Poet to Poet)
Sylvia Plath (Poet to Poet)
by Sylvia Plath

3.0 out of 5 stars not what it says it is, 22 Oct. 2014
No preface by Ted Hughes. As novice, as somebody who enjoys and learns from Hughes' prose, this was a letdown. Enjoyed Plath's work in 'Ariel' presume I will find work here, I find similarly engaging

As a Man Thinketh
As a Man Thinketh

4.0 out of 5 stars An Aid to "Know Thyself"?, 27 April 2013
This review is from: As a Man Thinketh (Kindle Edition)
David Bowie, on Hunky Dory sang 'I'm torn between the light and dark, where others see their target divine symmetry ...'. That probably sums up best my response to 'As A Man Thinketh'.
The book is a robustly written exhortation to strong mindedness. It is a short book that takes no prisoners.
Its title is an excerpt from a biblical verse, Proverbs 23:7, that James Allen, the book's writer, worked up as quote, defined as aphorism - and used as jumping off point for his thought. I was offered the book free, as a Kindle download. Its title piqued my curiosity enough to accept the offer.
The book's foreword advises the reader that the book:
'is suggestive rather than explanatory, its object being to stimulate men and women to the discovery and perception of the truth that they themselves are makers of themselves by virtue of the thoughts they choose'.
As I started to read the book, I started to A - wonder when it was written and B - feel challenged. Taking A - when it was written the theme is timeless, but the prose style seemed un-modern. Going on to B, the challenge to myself, try this, the very first sentence of the book:
'The aphorism "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he" not only embraces the whole of a man's being, but is so comprehensive as to reach out to every condition and circumstance of his life'.
I felt challenged because my personal circumstances could do with rebooting. And according, to 'As A Man Thinketh' it's really all my fault they're as they are - and if I started thinking as Mr Allen suggests, everything would be so much better. Thing is, what Mr Allen suggests is, in my opinion, illiberal, judgemental.
I paused the book. I decided to check the author, and the history of the book. That un-modern prose ... I found the book was written at the beginning of the twentieth century. That was enough. The book must be some precursor to fascism. It was so strident. I could stop reading it. I had a sound reason.
Unfortunately, I could find nowhere on the internet that put this book on a young Adolf's reading list. Therefore, intellectual honesty being a phrase I know, that I learnt from reading Orwell's essays, I had no choice, but to stay with the text. Ho hum. Beat me up, Jimmy Allen, go on ...
As I read, I imagined more sophisticated minds than mine dismissing this book without a thought. The book's language is strong, and though it never uses the terms 'hell-fire and brimstone', you know the author is aware of their existence - if only as symbols. Mr Allen never does play the outright god card, though faith is implicit to the text. This does make his forthright prose all the harder to ignore.
There are certainly things in this book I found issue with. (Besides the challenging). But if I was being honest I'd have to say they're quibbles concerning the fashions and modes acceptable when the book was written. Okay, slightly more than quibbles. In 2013 what would a Sunday Times reviewer say about this paragraph:
'A noble and Godlike character is not a thing of favour or chance but is the natural result of continued effort in right thinking. An ignoble and bestial character, by the same process, is the result of continued harbouring of grovelling thoughts'.
That's probably a thing that in 1902, would have stuck out. I suppose a familiarity with Nietzsche might have made it acceptable. He uses language out of the same mould.
To sum up. This book was written in an age of innocence. When it was believed by the majority, that science and education were working toward - and would eventually achieve - a better life for everybody. It was written when progress was not questioned. Progress happened, and it was always obviously good. It was written when war seemed in the past. Eighty years of peace in Europe, and no World Wars had taken place. Death camps and aerial bombing raids hadn't taken place. There had been no Hitler or Stalin. The atomic bomb was a thing that couldn't be imagined. I haven't looked up the age's definition of the word 'cynicism' but I figure that could be illuminating.
Anyhow, that baggage it *doesn't* carry, gives this book, *something*. A something I personally enjoy. A 'not holding back' I think it is. The writer wrote the book because he believed in it.
In the headline I said 'An Aid to 'Know Thyself'? That's a hell of a concept, meaning as I believe it does, an awareness of your humanity, and amongst other things, how that relates you to the whole of the rest of humanity. I think that anything which pushes a body, reminds a body of that concept is a good thing. That's why I give 'As A Man Thinketh' four stars out of the possible five.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2014 11:14 PM GMT

Aesop - The Complete Fables
Aesop - The Complete Fables
by Aesop

5.0 out of 5 stars You wanna know where Pixar get their ideas from?, 11 Mar. 2013
This is the beginning and end of story telling. After this it just gets more complicated, and noisier and funnier

Level 4: The Diary of a Young Girl (Pearson English Graded Readers)
Level 4: The Diary of a Young Girl (Pearson English Graded Readers)
by Anne Frank

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this edition. It's heavily edited for infants, 11 Mar. 2013
I asked my daughter about Anne Frank's diary when she said she'd read it, I asked her what it was about and her reply surprised me. She said it was about how to get on with people. I expected her to tell me what i knew from general knowledge. 'It's about a Jewish girl, hiding from the Nazis'.
Years later, she's moved out and i see the book, still in her old bedroom, I consider her answer and decide to have a look, what inspired that answer.
I was moved by what I read. This was honesty, enthusiasm of a child. But it was an old copy (i shook my head at my daughter - it was from her old school library ...) there were front pages missing. I decided to order my own copy and chose this because I trust Penguin.
When it came, it was a let-down; it didn't have any of the warmth of the (PAN) edition that was my daughter's. I scribbled out bits of the intro - that contained I thought very history lesson stuff ... to cut a long story short, days, details episodes - are not in this edition that are in the edition my daughter read. Somebody has not just edited it - they've rewritten it. Blandly. It's not Anne Frank's diary, it's Anne Frank's diary when she grew up and became ... a marketing executive?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2014 10:33 PM GMT