Profile for Barnabas > Reviews

My Brother, The Pope
My Brother, The Pope
Price: 12.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A very human Pope, 19 April 2013
This book was recommended to me by a neighbour I happened to meet on the bus one evening. She told me I could get it on my kindle, so I did. I found it captivating, I could hardly put it down. Once I was so engrossed the bus driver had to tell me we had reached the last stop. I really enjoyed reading about the idyllic childhood of the two brothers and both Georg and Joseph came across as very warm, loving human beings. After reading the book I feel I know both men intimately and their story has in a way become part of my story.

Reverend Paul Symonds OBE

Glittering Images
Glittering Images
by Susan Howatch
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A psychological 'whodunit', 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Glittering Images (Paperback)
The book was recommended to me by a friend who waxed lyrical about the 'brilliant characters, all of whom have some flaw' How right he was! I could hardly put the book down, I kept wanting to know what would come next. It was like a psychological mystery thriller. The characters were very real - I felt I knew them well. Throughout, the book evoked emotions of sympathy, amusement and some anger. As a cleric myself, thirty five years ordained and always having had a Benedictine spiritual director, I found the dialogue between Charles Ashworth and Jon Darrow a masterpiece, in many places not only familiar, but also challenging to me. Some theological knowledge as well as familiarity with and sympathy for the Anglican Church would be necessary for a full enjoyment of this book, but I am amazed at the accuracy with which the author has entered the ecclesiastical world so familiar to me.