ARRAY(0xaaa772e8)

Breville VCF042 Wake Cup Hot Water Dispenser
Offered by Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd
Price: 48.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Disabling alarm breville wake cup, 2 Jan 2012
Great little product but like previous users found the alarm going off first frustrating as I was falling asleep again waiting for it to boil, plus the buzzing noise is horrible. Its fiddly but not impossible to disconnect the buzzer so you can have just the tea on the automatic setting so you can use a more ear friendly alarm/clock radio to gently rouse you once the tea is made. To be fair the machine has a noisy hissy-fit making the tea which will probably wake me anyway but I'll see how it goes.
To access the buzzer lift the top lid where you add water, prize out the white rubber stoppers covering the 2 screws on the raised bit, if they are the security type just get a cheap flat blade screwdriver and file out the middle bit, you'll see what I mean when you see them. THIS WILL INVALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY but I hated the buzzer so much I didn't care. Slide off the top cover. The buzzer is not on the circuit board you can see so don't remove that. You have to remove the upright plastic bit between the board and the water container. The wires are hooked over this bit so make sure they don't get caught. Then remove only the screws necessary to remove the black plastic box that the visible board is connected to. This pulls up exposing a second board containing the blue LED display and all the buttons. The buzzer is top right, the round black thing with a hole in the top. You don't have to remove the board. The black thing prizes off easily leaving a metal plate behind to which it was glued.
When you put it back together just check the two LED lights under the black box (above the cup space, next to the hot water spouts) are in their holes otherwise the black box and buttons don't click back to place.
I know this all seems a faff but the buzzer was driving me nuts, and what can I say, I am a stubborn bodger.
Tea tastes just fine after discarding the first few cups.
Four stars because I'm not the only one the buzzer irritates.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2013 12:03 PM BST