Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for A. J. Barnes > Reviews

Content by A. J. Barnes

A. J. Barnes "AJB"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Trespass Stratos Outdoor 65L Rucksack - Sunflower/Flint
Trespass Stratos Outdoor 65L Rucksack - Sunflower/Flint

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for Travelling, 26 Jan. 2014
I have not had this pack long but I have been fairly impressed so far.
The pack seems well built and well thought out [the inclusion of a rain cover with its own storage location is a good touch].
I have worn it for a few hours with a half load of clothes and equipment [mainly to make sure I had the straps and pads etc. all in the right places] and after a little tweaking I have found it comfortable and secure feeling.
So while it is not the most robust feeling of packs I would not be afraid to use it travelling or short hikes. [I want something I can sling on my back between trains while travelling in Europe and will also let me get a bit off the beaten track].

I read a review [elsewhere] that said it was a good Festival pack for a girl. I am male, 5'11 and not that slim and the pack fits me well. I think they looked at the colour. The yellow is really quite bright. So one thing to note [if it matters to you] is that the "Sunflower" yellow is more daffodil and more vivid than I expected from the images on Amazon but at least I will never loose it in the dark.

The only reason for not giving it a higher star rating is that I haven't worn it all day and fully loaded for a comprehensive test.

Outdoor Stainless Steel Portable Cutlery Camping Picnic Folding Tableware Set 3Pcs - Fork Spoon Chopsticks
Offered by Well-Goal

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for the price, 23 Aug. 2013
The fork and spoon are small [think pastry fork and teaspoon for size] but usable and perfect for what I want them for and the chopsticks [that screw together firmly] are a nice bonus.
I have not used these items extensively so I can't vouch for their longevity but each has worked as you would want and they seem robust.
The pressing of the fork and spoon could be better [the edges are a bit uneven but not rough]. It is more than adequate for the job.
Metal chopsticks take a bit of getting used to [it looks like the trick is to not to bite down] but they are okay to use too.
Having a case that keeps everything together is a bonus.
This will stay in a pocket of my rucksack for the times when I need cutlery and don't have any...

Beethoven: Complete Symphonies
Beethoven: Complete Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and cheap, 23 Aug. 2013
Good recordings and very cheap when I bought.
I was odd that they are not in symphony order on the discs but I guess that is a disc capacity issue.
My only caveat on recommending this box set is that the meta-data pulled down by Windows Media Player, while correct is inconsistent. Things are listed under "Beethoven" or "Richard Edlinger" and several others. So that along with the disc ordering can make finding the "Complete Symphonies" in your library once it is loaded is a bit of a game...

Twenty Master Plots and How to Build Them
Twenty Master Plots and How to Build Them
by Ron Tobias

3.0 out of 5 stars Some how useless - and informative, 23 Aug. 2013
This book will show you the usual format for the "Twenty Master Plots" and gives them nifty names but as the author says this is a pretty arbitrary figure. some of the plots are actually very similar in structure.
What it won't do is teach you how to write a novel, screenplay, short story or anything else.
That said it does make you think about structure of you story and that's not a bad thing...

Skeleton Black Pocket Watch Chain Mechanical Hand Wind Half Hunter Vintage (QBD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, 19 Aug. 2013
It looks amazing.
It runs a little fast.
The plastic front "glass" is loose.
The metal cover is loose as well.
But does look amazing!

Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD]
Your Highness (Extended Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Danny McBride
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 19 Aug. 2013
I watched the "bonus" documentaries and now I know why the film seems a little off.
It is a good film, but not great.
The film makers were trying to thread the thin line between comedy, drama and spectacle but not spoof.
The film could be funnier but it is very funny.
The action could be better but it is plenty bloody and gory.
The scenery could be grander but this is real scenery [I've even been to some of it...] and not CGI [okay there was probably some but not too much].
This isn't a spoof of Lord of the Rings or Conan. It is a fish-out-of-water comedy set in a fantasy world and it is a world that feels possible.
The Northern Ireland landscape looks every bit as wondrous as New Zealand does.
The apparent budget limitations work for the film. They don't attempt to do incredible special effect and fail, they do great special effects and get them right. I especially like the lightening from the Mothers...

Silence Is a Weapon
Silence Is a Weapon

5.0 out of 5 stars Both sides of the coin., 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Silence Is a Weapon (Audio CD)
The two disc of this album cover both the punk activist and the traditional Native American facets of Blackfire.
The tracks seem to be [deliberately] in reverse order [Disk 1 starts with 'Epilogue', Disk 2 ends with 'Prologue']
Their politics may prevent them from ever making it "Big" but you should listen to Blackfire's songs of passion and action.
If there were more music like Blackfire, there would be more revolution and change in the world.
And it would probably be a better one too [but may be I am biased].
Make up your own mind.
Listen. Think. Decide. Act.

Artillery Through the Ages
Artillery Through the Ages
by H. C. B. Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars Information as it used to be..., 27 Mar. 2012
This book is forty years old but it feels older. Don't get me wrong that not criticism, that's praise. It comes from a time when books were supposed to inform and not talk down to the reader. Just about every line tells you something of use about "Artillery through the ages" and nothing else. There is no revisionist history or alternative view points. It is events and the reasons behind them in pretty much chronological order. There are a few pictures woodcuts and photographs just to break up the text which I find is well written and just light enough not to draw you in to a stupor.
This isn't a light read but it is an interesting one.

Living the Past
Living the Past
by Val Horsler

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more than a glorified brochure, 14 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Living the Past (Hardcover)
There was very little in this book that you could not have found by reading a collection of English Heritage brochures.
That they are all bound together with some very pretty pictures may be of some use to others. There is no real depth of information but it does cover most of the last two thousand years so that is to be expected.

3.85M TELESCOPIC FINGER SAFETY FEATURE LADDER WITH FREE CARRY CASE/STABILISER VINSANI

5.0 out of 5 stars Just about perfect, 14 Sept. 2011
I am a heavy man but this feels strong, steady and safe when I use it for accessing my loft. The ladder is not exactly small when folded but easily small enough to get in the boot of my car or hide in the hall cupboard.
About the only real criticism I have is that the one page of A5 instructions keep referring to 'illustration x' and the reproduction of the instructions is not that clear. But the instructions themselves are good and clear enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8