Profile for A. J. Barnes > Reviews

The Constitution of the United States of America
The Constitution of the United States of America
by Sam Fink

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful but why?, 11 April 2014
It is a hard book to describe let alone pigeon hole...
A cartoon/graphic novel representation of the US constitution, bill of rights and amendments... Who needs such a thing when it is huge? [far larger than A3] That said I think It's great... Its' the sort of book you really should own, even if you rarely look at it...
It makes not practical sense but you will love [or hate] it any way...

The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
The Newsroom - Season 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jeff Daniels

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me think about what might be., 11 April 2014
I know it is a fantasy. But Aaron Sorkin obviously loves the America Idea and wants to see there very best version that he can write, brought to the view. We can only hope that one day, someone really would take this stand and give us what we need to know and not what we are told we want/need to know...
I keep going back and watching this show, just like the West Wing before it. The writing is superb and the actors are almost universally great and at the top of their game.

Under Armour Sonic Compression Men's Longsleeve - White, XXL
Under Armour Sonic Compression Men's Longsleeve - White, XXL
Offered by Start Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it needs too, 11 April 2014
I like that it is very long in the body so even in vigorous exercise it is unlikely to leave you uncovered.

Bruckner: The Symphonies
Bruckner: The Symphonies

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money - Can not be faulted, 11 April 2014
The sound seems clear and bright where it needs to be and full and rich where it has to be.
Maybe it could have been compiled on to fewer discs, but I like the 1 disc - 1 Symphony arrangement. It makes it easier to find what I want and tweak the meta data. The only exceptions to this are Symphony #8 which is on 2 discs [the recording is 85+ minutes long so they split it, Movements 1&2 on one and Movements 3&4 on another] and disc 11 which has both Symphony 0 and Te Deum.
As always, there seems to be a little bit of problem getting the right meta details for the right discs when ripping them for personal use but that took 5 minutes to sort out and helped me understand what I actual had bought a little better.
It would have been nice to have a booklet on Bruckner's Life and Music but I guess that is what Wikipedia is for...
[...] - if you are interested...

Gustav Mahler: Complete Works [150th Anniversary]
Gustav Mahler: Complete Works [150th Anniversary]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music at a wonderful price, 4 Mar. 2014
I can't fault the music and there is a lot of it on 16 discs. My only criticism is of AutoRip. It does not take in to account that you are downloading a multi-disc-set and keeps the original track numbering, So now I have 16 track 1s, 16 track 2s [etc.] to recode if I want to listen to [for example] Mahler's 4th Symphony. Not a fatal flaw but it could be easily fixed...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 5:31 PM BST

Ordnance Survey Pack - Explorer Map 452 ~ Barra & Vatersay / Barraigh agus Bhatarsaigh plus scale ruler
by Ordnance Survey
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars A great map, 4 Mar. 2014
For me the OS maps are the best there are and this one is no exception. If you want a map of this area I can think of none better.

A History of Fortification from 3000 BC to AD 1700
A History of Fortification from 3000 BC to AD 1700
by Sidney Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I have read on the subject., 4 Mar. 2014
It can be a little dry, its quiet academic, but I have found this bbok to be an easy and informative read.

Revitive CX Circulation Booster
Revitive CX Circulation Booster

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be working for me, 4 Mar. 2014
Only been using ot for a week or so, but I have found it straightforward to use and [I think] effective. My feet are certainly aching less even after a long walk.

Protective Pu Leather Detachable Case Bag for Pentax Mx1 Digital Camera with Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a good looking camera look like a great looking camera, 4 Mar. 2014
The Pentax MX1 fitted perfectly and securely in to the body of the case. The Tripod screw is used to hold the camera in place.
The body is cut away and contoured accurately enough to give access to all the necessary buttons and switches [including for the flash] while still giving you enough to hold on to.
The front of the case snaps on and off with a reassuringly sound click. All the press stud clasps and metal fittings have a golden brass look to them.
The strap was easy enough to fit [you will have to take off any strap fitted to the camera - you can use their mounting eyelet to tie on the lens cap].
The leather looks clean and it and the stitching look to be of good quality. It will look beautiful once has weathered and aged in a bit.
My only slight niggle is that as the top of the case is flat and the bottom of the case has a flap and the Tripod mount, you might find yourself putting the camera down upside down the first few times.
All in all, this case make the retro-look of the MX1 look even more complete

Trespass Stratos Outdoor 65L Rucksack - Sunflower/Flint
Trespass Stratos Outdoor 65L Rucksack - Sunflower/Flint

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for Travelling, 26 Jan. 2014
I have not had this pack long but I have been fairly impressed so far.
The pack seems well built and well thought out [the inclusion of a rain cover with its own storage location is a good touch].
I have worn it for a few hours with a half load of clothes and equipment [mainly to make sure I had the straps and pads etc. all in the right places] and after a little tweaking I have found it comfortable and secure feeling.
So while it is not the most robust feeling of packs I would not be afraid to use it travelling or short hikes. [I want something I can sling on my back between trains while travelling in Europe and will also let me get a bit off the beaten track].

I read a review [elsewhere] that said it was a good Festival pack for a girl. I am male, 5'11 and not that slim and the pack fits me well. I think they looked at the colour. The yellow is really quite bright. So one thing to note [if it matters to you] is that the "Sunflower" yellow is more daffodil and more vivid than I expected from the images on Amazon but at least I will never loose it in the dark.

The only reason for not giving it a higher star rating is that I haven't worn it all day and fully loaded for a comprehensive test.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8