Profile for Ravenous_Jo > Reviews

Content by Ravenous_Jo

Ravenous_Jo "A Hungry Green Escapist?" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Faith In Nature Rosemary Stimulating Shampoo For Normal To Greasy Hair 400ml
Faith In Nature Rosemary Stimulating Shampoo For Normal To Greasy Hair 400ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Gently Invigorates!, 25 Nov. 2010
I am sorry that the other reviewer 'm' had a bad experience with this shampoo. It does have a bold scent which may not be to everybody's taste but I'm very pleased with this shampoo and my partner likes the smell on me! My dry skin and scalp are not irritated and only a small amount needs to be used to get clean hair (I don't bother trying to get the usual chemical lather from it). For me this shampoo gently invigorates! - gentle on the scalp with an invigorating smell & feel.

Ilford Ilfospeed 3-24M S/Matt 20.3X25.4 *25
Ilford Ilfospeed 3-24M S/Matt 20.3X25.4 *25

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Professional Paper, 9 Nov. 2009
This is a great professional paper for black & white pictures. It is quick to process with consistant results. I love the more traditional, less glossy finish. I hope it is available again soon.

Wit'ch Star: The Banned and the Bannished Book Five (Banned and the Banished)
Wit'ch Star: The Banned and the Bannished Book Five (Banned and the Banished)
by James Clemens

3.0 out of 5 stars Likely to be sucked in, 27 Aug. 2009
I've only read the first book in 'The Banned and the Banished' series (Wit'ch Fire) introducing the characters and themes. There are blood, gore and people close to the main characters dying from the start and throughout. Otherwise it is a formulaic fantasy where a group of adventurers forms, from individuals of different races, who started out on seemingly different quests which then all merge around a central heroine.

If the apostrophe in Wit'ch annoys you don't read this series of books as over half the names of characters, races and towns also contain one! Examples include Er'ril, Tol'chuck, Nee'lahn, De'nal, Gul'gotha, skal'tum, mul'gothra, rock'goblins, moon'falcon, og're, elv'in (is the lack of a capital here an American convention or the author too?) I found them slightly distracting rather than them giving the story an other-wordly feel which is what I'm guessing the author was aiming for. As other reviewers have said the book also jumps about a lot between different scenes with different characters which is not to everyone's taste.
Having read others' reviews I may give the series a second chance as they say that the last book (Wit'ch Star)makes it all worth while!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2011 11:50 AM GMT

The Rough Guide to Ethical Shopping
The Rough Guide to Ethical Shopping
by Duncan Clark

4.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start, 27 Aug. 2009
This is an easy-reference guide and is a good place to start if you want to shop more ethically. The book offers many other sources of information including websites. This means that although the book is ageing you can check more up-to-date information through those references. Having said that the newer 'The Rough Guide to Ethical Living' by the same author looks more current and is tempting me to purchase it now!
The Rough Guide to Ethical Living

We Want Real Food: The Local Food Lover's Bible
We Want Real Food: The Local Food Lover's Bible
by Graham Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars Consumer Power, 20 May 2009
As you may have guessed by my rating I loved this book!
It is pitched just right allowing the seriousness to sink in of how a few large companies can control what we eat whilst offering hope and solutions.
Modern agriculture leads to food depleted in vitamins and minerals which contributes to, if not the causes, most UK diseases of which the incidences are souring. Obesity, cancer, heart disease and allergies are amongst those discussed. Afflictions unknown in our historical past (and still missing in some other counties) are linked to our poor modern food and no amount of dieting or sticking to your 5-a-day will suffice if those 5 items are lacking in nutrition.
Graham Harvey gives us the knowledge to enable us to buy 'real' food and protect our health. In the process we vote with our wallets/purses and influence the supermarkets who in turn influence farming practices so that more 'real' food is available. The farming practices used to produce 'real' food will also be better for the countryside conservation, animal welfare and the environment.
Buying better basic foods has got to be cheaper in the long run than buying all those diet books and supposed 'health' foods too!

ByteStor 2GB USB  High Speed "Dataferry" Flash Drive
ByteStor 2GB USB High Speed "Dataferry" Flash Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after, 30 Mar. 2009
I've tried a few flash drives and some have been very disappointing either because they do not work smoothly on every computer and/or they require that a driver is downloaded first (more frustrating if you are going to use it on more than one computer and need to download each time).
THIS flashdrive has none of those annoyances it has worked well on each of the computers I have tried it on - and it is robust enough to survive being jiggled in the bottom of a cluttered bag if it should accidently fall there from the pocket!
There is also a reassuring light on it so that you know it is working.

Jar Of Flies/Facelift/Dirt
Jar Of Flies/Facelift/Dirt

4.0 out of 5 stars Agree with Adam - Good for Newbies, 30 Mar. 2009
This set was added to my wishlist so that I could finally replace my worn old tape cassettes! I totally agree with Adam that it is ideal for Alice Newbies as most fans will have bought these albums years ago and this is the best place to start your new collection.

The Art of Digital Photography
The Art of Digital Photography
by John Hedgecoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 30 Oct. 2007
The Art of digital Photography has practical tips supported by plenty of photographs.
It is a good starting point for a beginner, as well as inpirational to those more experienced.

The Idler (Issue 38) How to Save the World Without Really Trying: Green Man -How to Save the World Without Really Trying Issue 38
by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 30 Oct. 2007
I wasn't quite sure what to expect from The Idler.

I had fun with my first issue (38)! - very amusing!

The Everyday Dairy-Free Cookbook - Recipes for Lactose Intolerants
The Everyday Dairy-Free Cookbook - Recipes for Lactose Intolerants
by Emily White

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, 30 Oct. 2007
The Everyday Dairy-Free Cookbook is well set out, simple to use, explains dairy allergies plus intolerances and contains tasty, easy recipes that everyone enjoys.

What more could you want?

It has enough nutritional and allergy information but lacks the heavy, bogged-down feel of some other books. The recipes take their rightful centre stage!

The practical, but tasty recipes can transform meals back into pleasant experiences!
There are also handy tips for eating out/away from home.

The yorkshire pudding/toad-in-the-hole recipe never fails.....

There is a handy list of calcium concentrations in other foods, such as some vegetables. There is also a good list of brand-named replacement foodstuffs that you can trust to be dairy-free.

The 'is soya harmful to/ or good fore your health' debate is touched on in here and alternative milk substitutes to soya-'milk' are mentioned :-) . (Surprisingly soya allergies are not stressed; but hey; you can't have everything!)

((It's not within the scope of the book, but just a reminder from me that soya production = airmiles + rainforest destruction))

Page: 1 | 2