Profile for Stuart king artist > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Colin the Goblin (Epix)
Colin the Goblin (Epix)
by Alan Cowsill

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny quick and well drawn it has stayed with me ..., 26 Jun 2014
Funny quick and well drawn it has stayed with me since I first read it a 7 years old. Now I am grown up and I just had to get a new copy.

I wish there where more of these

The Complete Book of Drawing Manga
The Complete Book of Drawing Manga
by Peter Gray

1.0 out of 5 stars These books won't make you good at drawing. Not even manga, 25 April 2014
To learn to draw, self study from books is great. Chances are that high school or even uni won't explicitly teach the skills you or your child wants and need. Neither will this book or many like it. The useless instruction within may infact teach have bad habits.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2014 11:09 PM BST

Eddington Magnetic Digital Kitchen Timer - Purple
Eddington Magnetic Digital Kitchen Timer - Purple
Offered by bestbuy66

1.0 out of 5 stars Over Priced badly made and sounds horrible, 16 Nov 2013
First of all this is flimsier than the ones that where available in the pound shop and doesn't have anything to qualify that it does cost over £1. It is that bad that it is poor quality for a single pound or even half a pound.

Maybe it is that it took about a month to arrive. Or that I was over charged or that now I get it it is an annoying piece of crap.

Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice
Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice
by Ivan Brunetti

4.0 out of 5 stars It was a new perspective for me and one the opened a new way make art, 14 July 2013
I got this book as extra with an other book. I spent a lot on that other "art book" and I don't really like it. But that money was well spent to have gotten a copy of this gem. It is hard to believe this little book has more useful wisdom than the huge how to draw books yet it does.

I am going to see if I can find it right now before I buy a second copy right now.

Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking Is Undermining America
Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking Is Undermining America
by Barbara Ehrenreich

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I needed to read and one you need to read, 14 July 2013
I am unfortunately well versed in self help. I am also a rare being these days being someone who is genuinely unprivileged yet not trapped in a ghetto. The positive thinking movement has been used to bully, isolate and justify many cruelties to me and other so it was surprisingly uplifting to be affirmed by a logical and well thought out person/book. The problem with positive thinking is that cruelty that is enacted on others is also turned inward when the life does what it will and change for the worse at some point.

This cruel solipsistic social engineering needs to be countered with honest accepting and truthful information.

Get a grip with the power of negative thinking.

Incidentally my negative life has saved others and given countless people happiness and personal courage. Positive thinking has lead to the downfall of economies greater inequality and pervasive magical thinking that will undermine healing in medical and psychological practices. I am better person and the lives around me are better with me being a depressive curmudgeon and you could be that too.

Pocket Brush Pen Spare Black Refill Cartridges
Pocket Brush Pen Spare Black Refill Cartridges
Offered by LBM The Art & Stationery Store

4.0 out of 5 stars This cartridge makes the pen work. You'll need it, 2 Sep 2012
last fairly long and this is only brush pen that matters. you can even dip the bristles in water to get a dark wash and it will not do any harm.
the pen this belongs to is popular with artist that have to work portable like reportage sketchbook/urban sketching.
If your a stuck with pens then it would be a good thing to experiment with.

It is also good if you want to draw fine detail on skin .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2013 8:30 PM GMT

The Goon Volume 6: Chinatown and the Mystery of Mr. Wicker
The Goon Volume 6: Chinatown and the Mystery of Mr. Wicker
by Eric Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars It is beautiful and sad like some of the best stories, 2 Sep 2012
Eric Powell is one of the best artists in the field today. Soon he will be one of the greats.
This comics is painted in washes and ink. the depth and forms are robust and the "acting" from the
characters is so potent and genuine. The action is visceral as well.
This story stands out in the cannon of normally incredibly funny books. It is serous and meaningful. It brings the depth to the characters. It makes these funny books beautiful.

It stands alone in time meaning that you could read this first or last and don't need to wait

A Book of Surrealist Games
A Book of Surrealist Games
by Alastair Brotchie

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to work Artist boy!, 1 Sep 2010
I just got it and it is a lot of fun. The games in this are numerous and the applications vary from party games to serious brainstorming techniques. For me as an artist (I am a cartoonist and illustrator that is far more in aligned with fine art and comics than modernism or post modernism so this isn't fan boy review) I find it really useful to play these games to lighten u a bit and tap into my really creative and passionate side. I suppose more importantly I laugh a lot when reading the examples or playing the games and I imagine you would to. It also has examples and some of them will most likely make you react in pleasantly surprised manner as you say "some of this stuff is really good, don't know what does it mean I like it but really..."
Sorry if this is a crap review it is jut that I am sleepy having stayed u to 5 am playing these and I have not yet went to bed.

Kirby: King of Comics
Kirby: King of Comics
by Mark Evanier

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Kirby book ever, 30 Aug 2010
This review is from: Kirby: King of Comics (Hardcover)
Oh this is a big hefty book that just by its mere size inspires admiration. It recounts a truthful and interesting account of jack Kirby's career. After reading I felt as though I knew the man just a little and the struggles and triumphs that revealed him to us. I found it inspirational and I wish to have but a fraction of his compassion and work ethic. The amazing amount of drawings, strips and experimental work is really outstanding. I have looked at other Kirby books and they don't have nearly as much content as this book.
I recommend this book to any artist
Anybody interested in illustration
Biographies
Jack Kirby fans
Comic book readers
And anybody who has heard of ,Spider man, Captain America, the fantastic four, x_men, Romance comics, The losers, The Hulk, Comics and super heroes in general.

It is impossible to calculate the influence jack Kirby has had on contemporary story telling but it safe to assume that your life has been shaped by this one mans drawing in one way or an other.

How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way [DVD] [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Stan Marvel

1.0 out of 5 stars Uselss waste of money, 30 Aug 2010
The DVD shows Stan lee neither artist (or writer in my opinion)Doing his usual Stan lee routine as Bucsema the artist pretends to draw over reprinted ages from the How to draw marvel book. Don't buy this, get the book and at least you will have a physical reference at full size as opposed to a brief glance at some one waving a pencil at a page of a book on a flickery screen.
I was disappointed in this since the artist is great.
How to Draw Comics the "Marvel" Way