Profile for Backpacker > Reviews

Backpacker

Page: 1 | 2
COLD MOUNTAIN Transcendental Poetry
COLD MOUNTAIN Transcendental Poetry

5.0 out of 5 stars so can take them everywhere- they are pretty short. If you've ever thought how great it ..., 25 Nov. 2014
This short book contains the transcendental poems of Han Shan, or Cold Mountain. You can buy translations of all 300 poems, which include the biographical and political ones, such as that by Red Pine, and I have, but this is the one I return to almost every day. I have no knowledge of Chinese, so no idea how accurate the translations are, but they are sublime as poetry.
I have memorised a few, so can take them everywhere- they are pretty short.
If you've ever thought how great it would be to leave the busy world behind, these poems are for you.
The best couple of quid I ever spent.

Injinji Trail 2.0 Mid Weight Mini-Crew CoolMax Toe Socks-Granite-M
Injinji Trail 2.0 Mid Weight Mini-Crew CoolMax Toe Socks-Granite-M
Offered by FLOODIES

5.0 out of 5 stars The sock supreme, 29 May 2014
These Injinji socks are quite a bit thicker than their standard weight ones, which makes them ideal for lightweight backpacking or trail running. I've used them with Vivobarefoot Neo Trail shoes on a 200-mile backpacking trip around Westmorland and the Long Distance Walkers Association 100 in Wales this year with no hint of a blister, despite wet feet most of the way.
They are expensive but worth it.
They also seem longer-lasting than the lighter ones, which tend to wear out under the ball of the foot.
I'll be buying more.

My Man Jeeves
My Man Jeeves
by P.G. Wodehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: My Man Jeeves (Hardcover)
PG Wodehouse on top form and a lovely edition from Everyman. Just sublime.
Who could ask for anything more?
Not me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and Bright, 2 Feb. 2014
An expensive little torch, but it may be all you ever need. The middle setting, which is the go-to level when you turn it on is bright enough for running on unlit roads and the high level is very bright indeed for a single AAA torch. The low level is fine around the house. Another good feature is the beam, which is broad enough to avoid that feeling of running in a little pool of light in front of you. I've used it as a head torch in a Nite-Ize headband, which holds it securely, but is a bit heavy and bulky itself for a torch this light. I'm planning to make something smaller.
The titanium version is a bit of a luxury, really, as the stainless steel one isn't much heavier, and you could spend the extra money on lithium batteries, but it's nice to have.

Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence
Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence
by Andrew Juniper

5.0 out of 5 stars More Less is More, 2 Feb. 2014
If you prefer quill pens to ballpoints, wooden boats to plastic and antiques to Ikea, Wabi Sabi is for you.
The book covers wabi sabi's origin in Japan as the aesthetic of Zen, but it can be equally applicable in the West- the patina of old furniture and the simplicity of English watercolours have a lot in common with zen gardens and tea ceremonies.
This is a practical book, too, with suggestions on how to apply wabi sabi principles to your own environment.
My only criticism is that the illustrations deserve better reproduction, but that would put the price up, I guess.

The Gateless Gate
The Gateless Gate
by Mumon

5.0 out of 5 stars If you think you understand it...., 13 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Gateless Gate (Paperback)
A nice, cheap edition of the Zen classic. It has only Mumon's comments on the koans, not modern notes.
Buy this and "Not Zen "for a mind-boggling start to failing to understand Zen.

Who Sh*t in my Zen Garden: Random Stuff that Spoils my Day
Who Sh*t in my Zen Garden: Random Stuff that Spoils my Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Grumpy old zen, 17 July 2013
I had to buy this book for the title alone. Brilliant.
It's very much along the lines of Grumpy Old Men- a series of gripes about the way of the world, but from a younger,more aggressive, American perspective. There are a lot of new insults to learn (which I had to look up on Urban Dictionary).
Warning: Don't buy this if you have any politically-correct leanings.

Not Zen: A Zen Revolution
Not Zen: A Zen Revolution

5.0 out of 5 stars No answers here!, 12 July 2013
I love this book. ewk takes the extreme view that Zen isn't a kind of Buddhism. Of course, he doesn't say what it is, which is as it should be. We need gadflies like him.
Buy this and the Gateless Gate.

Ian Finn Cookbook Sampler
Ian Finn Cookbook Sampler

2.0 out of 5 stars Only a taste., 12 July 2013
This book is just a collection of a few extracts from Ian Finn's books. I was disappointed that it only had one recipe from each.
It also refers to other chapters of the books, which are not included in the sampler. The recipes seem interesting, but I'm not inspired to buy the books.

Vivobarefoot Men's Breatho Trail M BR Mesh Light Grey/Royal Blue Trainer VB220024MGRYRBL 8 UK, 42 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Minimalist perfection., 17 May 2013
I have two pairs of the original Neo Trail shoes, which I use for running and hiking, and I've found them to be the answer to foot problems. Last year I walked the Pennine Way in them- wet feet all the way, 20-plus miles a day in snow and mud, and not even a hint of a blister. (Using Injinji toe socks)
I was glad to be able to try the Breatho version, then, which is as far as I can see, the same thin, flexible, zero-drop lugged sole with a lighter and more breathable upper. It certainly lives up to its name, as the upper is a tough, fine mesh. No waterproofing of course, but then if water can get in easily it can also get out.
The toe box is nice and wide, giving plenty of room for natural foot movement. The lugged sole gives loads of traction in mud and on wet grass, and the flexibility of it lets your feet feel the ground and give plenty of proprioception. You do, however, feel the rocks underfoot more than in cushioned shoes, so it's best to look where you're going.The lugs do wear down if used on the road a lot.
My only caveat with these shoes would be that you have to train up to barefoot-style running. There is no cushioning and no heel raise. There is plenty of advice in books and on the internet- I'd advise anyoneone interested to read as much as you can and take it slowly- feet and calves need to be strengthened.
To anyone wondering whether to buy the original or the Breatho version, I think the original is best if you're out in the cold a lot,and the Breatho for warmer conditions.

Page: 1 | 2