Profile for TechBajan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
ARTPOP [Explicit]
ARTPOP [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of art; a masterpiece of pop, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: ARTPOP [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
While I've always listened to Lady Gaga's tunes on the radio, I'd never felt compelled to buy any of her albums... until now.

I first heard Venus whilst listening to a streaming service and heard Applause a few times on the radio so I decided to check out some of the other songs on the album to see if they were any good. I instantly fell in love with Do What You Want, Aura and G.U.Y. The album was recently on special so I bought it. Since then, I've listened to the whole album multiples times, sometimes on repeat and love all, except Jewels N Drugs.

Overall, I can't fault this album. I think it really shows Lady Gaga is not just a musician who can make chart-topping hits but who can create art, whether it charts or not!

How to Live on 24 Hours a Day
How to Live on 24 Hours a Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Boring for My Tastes, 12 Aug 2013
It's a good job it was free when I bought it because, to be frank, it sounds like the author sat by a window and imagined himself sitting at the country club lecturing to his colleagues over a pot of tea.

To me, it sounded more like philosophical ramblings than an intriguing guide on how to manage one's time as most of it (well, the bit I read before deciding not to spend another 5 minutes out of my 24 hours reading it).

It's mostly written in the passive voice, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it stops short of reading like a King James Version bible or some other old-English text, which may be fine for some but shall I indulge myself in consuming more of its content, I will henceforth necessitate expending precious more valuable hours acquiring and consuming another book in my quest for knowledge -- yes, that's how convoluted the book sounds; I guess that's how books were written in that time.

If you fancy some plain English, I'd advise that you devote your 24 hours to another book.

TomTom Via LIVE 120 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
TomTom Via LIVE 120 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
Offered by Shockbuy srl

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin but a few quirks, 21 April 2013
I've used this for over a year and I must say it works well as a satnav. The Live data has always worked worked really well for me in that almost each time when it indicated there would be traffic ahead, there was.

The only things I don't like about it (besides TomTom's generally painful and often buggy process for updating maps) are:

1. I find the volume to be a bit low at times, especially when driving on the motorway whilst listening to music. My old TomTom One is much louder and I didn't need to lower the volume on my car stereo to hear instructions clearly.

2. Sometimes when you pass speed cameras, the speed you're travelling on the satnav can freeze temporarily, even if you've made a noticeable change in speed.

3. When it prompts you to tell it whether a speed camera is still where it used to be, it makes a very annoying sound every few seconds until you press it and select an answer. Not only is this unsafe, it is downright annoying on the M1 where so many cameras have been moved.

SanDisk SDCZ80-016G-X46 16GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ80-016G-X46 16GB Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Offered by MyMemory

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds manufacturer's claims, 31 Dec 2012
I bought this drive to use for booting to Hyper-V Server so I wanted something with decent performance. When I first looked at the box, I noticed the rated write speed was 55MB/s, even though the Amazon product details page does not specify the rated write speed for the given capacity. I was a bit dismayed by this but somehow suspected it before I bought it.

When I tested it on my system with a USB 2.0 port using CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2, I got average sequential speeds of 34 and 30 MB/s for reading and writing, respectively, which is good. When I transferred a 1.8GB ISO, it averaged 29MB/s.

When I tested it then on my laptop with USB 3.0, I actually got 186 (read) and 60 (write) using CrystalDiskMark. I tried transferring a 3GB ISO to the flash drive and got an average transfer rate of 57MB/s, so the write speeds actually exceed the manufacturer's quoted write speed, which is always welcome.

Some people complained about build quality. I found the build quality to be acceptable and what I'd expect from any normal non-rugged USB flash drive so I don't know what people expect.

I give this product 5 stars because the price is very competitive and the speeds are a very pleasant surprise.

Samsung Galaxy S3 SPIGEN SGP Ultra Thin Air Series Case BLACK + Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear 1 pc

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra thin & best screen protector I've ever used, 28 Nov 2012
As advertised, this is ultra thin and I don't even notice the difference in bulk, which is exactly what I wanted.

The build quality is also good. The only minor thing is that is feels very slightly loose but not enough that it actually comes off.

The screen protector that comes with it is the best I've ever used (and I've used a lot over the years). It's practically invisible and went on snugly with no bubbles. It also feels strong and very capable of the job, unlike many of the cheap ones.

You get what you pay for with this!

Total Core Deluxe 360 Degree Core Workout
Total Core Deluxe 360 Degree Core Workout

1.0 out of 5 stars I should have listened to the negative reviews, 26 Nov 2012
I had high hopes for this despite a few people giving it negative reviews. Mistake!

First of all, the instructions weren't very clear.

Secondly, I found the construction to be somewhat flimsy and there was a crack in one of the joints.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I didn't feel the least bit of resistance when trying it out. My physical condition can in NO WAY be described as fit so it's not like I couldn't feel the resistance because I have a six pack; I have a semi-large one-pack.

For those who gave it great reviews and it's worked for, I'm happy for you. For anyone else considering this piece of equipment, I'd suggest looking at alternatives.

Unapologetic (Deluxe Edition) [Explicit] [+digital booklet]
Unapologetic (Deluxe Edition) [Explicit] [+digital booklet]

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you, 22 Nov 2012
I must admit I bought this on impulse because Amazon had it at a promotional price. I didn't actually listen to the previews but just clicked "Buy" because I was pleasantly-surprised by her previous album "Talk That Talk" and expected the same exhilaration from this one.

Unfortunately, I've had to listen to this album a few times to start to like it and can say I do like most of the tracks now. IMO though, this album is an acquired taste as the tracks are less racey and cheeky than a lot of her previous work. However, I wouldn't say they're bad; just different.

If "Talk That Talk" was HOT, this is just cool but I guess Rhi Rhi is unapologetic about it. :-)

***UPDATE***

After having listened to this album over 15 times since I've bought it, I've had to give it one more star... I've gotta say I REALLY LIKE THIS NOW. I get the vibe that some of the songs are personal to Rhi Rhi and show how there's more to her than the image that's generally portrayed.

My favourites are 5, 7, 8 & 10.

Africa: The Best Of Toto
Africa: The Best Of Toto

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the Best of Toto, 21 Sep 2012
This has all the great hits I remember from when I was young(er) :-) I'm totally happy with my purchase as I had an album with most of these hits years ago, which I'd lost but it feels great to be hearing them all again. This album takes me back to a time and era when I didn't have a care in the world. :-) They don't make music like this anymore.

Anthems R&B [Explicit]
Anthems R&B [Explicit]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for Money & A Good Listening Experience, 4 Sep 2012
As with all compilations, there are songs on the album I could do without listening to and will probably always skip but considering it has 60 songs, many of which are hits in their time, it's well worth the price. At the time of purchasing it, a "big competitor" was selling the album for nearly three times the price on Amazon so it's definitely well worth the money.

Plantronics GameCom 780 Open Ear Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound
Plantronics GameCom 780 Open Ear Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound
Offered by liGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable & impressive sound, 3 July 2012
I was looking for an affordable headset that not only sounded great for listening to music but that could serve multiple roles, including watching movies or the rare (very rare) game. The range is very good for the price.

From the time I put these on, they fit comfortably over my ears and on my head. In addition, the controls are fairly conveniently placed and make controlling the surround sound and volume easy.

The only caveat is that Plantronics doesn't provide software so the surround sound works on Macs so if you have a Mac and want to enjoy the surround sound, look elsewhere. However, they do play in stereo when used on a Mac.

I can't think of anything I'd knock a star off for, considering the good price. IMHO, these are good value for money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3