Profile for Freddie > Reviews

Content by Freddie

Freddie

Page: 1 | 2
Printed Leather Travel Pass / Oyster Card Holder - 'Brightest London'
Printed Leather Travel Pass / Oyster Card Holder - 'Brightest London'
Offered by Adames Leather Goods & Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal gift, 27 Oct. 2014
This is an excellent quality leather card holder, with a nice retro print. It also has a useful back pocket for tickets or receipts/coupons. I have since bought another one for my mum as she really liked it, and a friend has bought one too.
Also, it was delivered quickly by Adames - item was received next day so really happy all round.

Ross (Expanded Edition)
Ross (Expanded Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked in 1983 but well worth a listen..., 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ross (Expanded Edition) (Audio CD)
Review of Ross (Expanded Edition)

Despite being an excellent album, 1983's "Ross" unfortunately failed to light up the charts on its initial release. Overlooked and long out of print on CD, I was excited to see it finally get a reissue as it was an obvious gap in my collection.

The sound of the album is generally upbeat pop/rock but there's a little bit of disco too, Whilst I don't think there is a weak song on the album, my personal favourite tracks are Let's Go Up, You Do It, Pieces Of Ice and the Jolley & Swain bonus remix of Up Front.

I love the dazed look of the front cover, my only small gripe is they didn't release this edition as a gatefold package with a booklet. If you're a Diana Ross fan but have never heard this album, I recommend you buy this right away!

Swept Away (2 CD Deluxe Edition)
Swept Away (2 CD Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reissue of an 80s Diana classic, 17 Oct. 2014
Review of Swept Away 2CD Deluxe Edition

This is an excellent reissue of Diana's 1984 RCA release. Generally this album is considered a return to form following the slightly disappointing release "Silk Electric" and the relative commercial failure of "Ross" (although both albums have their admirers). CD1 contains a crisp remaster of the original album and CD2 is made up of bonus remixes and "Fight For It" (a welcome addition to this release). Like the other reissues in this series, my only minor gripe is that these are standard jewel cases rather than gatefold editions.

Whilst not the most adventurous of her albums in terms of material, there's a good mix of styles from ballads to reggae pop and pop rock with a great mid-eighties production sound throughout. As others have pointed out, the only song to skip on the album is "We Are The Children Of The World". It's a shame, because if they had dropped this track in favour of "Fight For It" the finished product would have been perfect.

This accessible, solid and varied album comes highly recommended. Track highlights for me are Missing You, Touch By Touch, Swept Away, Forever Young.

Silk Electric (Expanded Edition)
Silk Electric (Expanded Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reissue of this mixed bag of an album..., 15 Oct. 2014
*This is a review of the 2014 expanded remaster.*

Silk Electric was the second of Diana Ross' RCA albums, originally released in 1982 and out of print for some time (except for a Japan-only re-release). Sonically this is a slightly bizarre smorgasbord of an album with no overriding production style, which means it sounds as if it was compiled from random off cuts from other albums.

There are some great tracks (Muscles, So Close, Who, Anywhere You Run To)
....Some alright tracks (Still In Love, Love Lies)
....And some are more forgettable (Fool For Your Love, In Your Arms, I Am Me)
Ignore "Turn Me Over" - a bit redundant on this CD release as it is a short track at the end of side one, instructing the listener to turn over to side two.

This remastered, expanded and limited edition CD sounds great and contains 4 bonus remixes, including the single version of "So Close" with remixed vocals. It comes in a standard jewel case rather than a gatefold + booklet which would have made this more appealing to collectors - a minor gripe for me. The fold out insert is nicely printed with updated liner notes. The cover art is an Andy Warhol pop art print, which I really like. It's definitely one of Diana's most memorable album covers. While this is by no means Diana's best album, it's one for hardcore fans to add to their collection. If you're not familiar with the material, I advise you to listen first before taking the plunge!

Hugo Boss Bottled Night Eau de Toilette spray for men 100ml
Hugo Boss Bottled Night Eau de Toilette spray for men 100ml
Offered by Acorn solution

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and mysterious..., 3 July 2014
Now obviously a fragrance is a lot down to individual preference... I buy quite a lot of Eau de Toilette and I tend to prefer heavier, rich arabian style scents rather than light citrus summer fragrances.

In my opinion this one is a winner, especially at the price. It's a powerful and mysterious smell - very noticeable in a crowded room. Lasts for a few hours as well so ideal for going out in the evening, dates etc.

NB I would always recommend testing before buying. Having said that... it's quickly become a favourite with me, I am now on my second bottle.

Mdna World Tour [DVD+2CD] [2013]
Mdna World Tour [DVD+2CD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Madonna
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars A lifelong Madonna fan's advice... do not buy unless you want a headache - edited to death., 11 Jun. 2014
I saw the MDNA tour in Hyde Park and was really impressed with the show - great setlist, choreography, costumes stage design etc. With this in mind I couldn't wait for the DVD and put my pre-order in as soon as it appeared on Amazon, hoping to relive the concert for posterity. Well, how wrong could I be...

I have been a HUGE fan of Madonna since I was a kid and have followed her career since the mid 80s. I have loved all her previous tour DVDs... Yes, I was a bit disappointed the Sticky and Sweet tour DVD as the sound was clearly "improved" (overdubbed) and isn't correctly synched... but it's a minor gripe compared with the mess that is this release.

Sadly in the case of the MDNA tour, the show has been hyperactively edited to the point where it has become an unwatchable mess. Instagram style filters and an inability to let any shot linger more than a few moments gave me a total headache. It's hard to make out what is happening on stage and for a show with such creativity, so much detail is lost.

How did they allow this on such a high profile release?! I do hope Madonna leaves the editing to the professionals in future. Also, minor point - it would also be good to hear her sing in a slightly lower register to suit her older voice as it sounds strained in a lot of the songs.

One for die hard fans only, but don't say I didn't warn you!!

Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD]
Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD]
Offered by MediaMine

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, if slightly forgettable affair..., 30 May 2014
This review is from: Kiss Me Once [CD+DVD] (Audio CD)
Being a longtime Kylie fan, and considering the string of hits in her back catalogue, I have to admit to being slightly disappointed by this release. Poorly promoted with bad single choices, the cynic in me feels like this is a rushed perfunctory release to give Kylie an excuse to tour.

Having said that, this is mostly very listenable (if slightly forgettable) pop music and it has definitely grown on me after a few listens. It's got plenty of upbeat songs which suit her voice, and for the most part the songs sound well produced and current.

The standout tracks for me: Into The Blue, Sexy Love, I Was Gonna Cancel, Kiss Me Once, If Only and Sleeping With The Enemy.

NB Sexercise is a really terrible track, I actually struggle to listen to it. Tired, dated dubstep with cringey lyrics. I don't care much for the Enrique Iglesias duet either but it's not awful just my personal taste.

In a nutshell, I like it but wish they had spent a bit more time making this a bit more of a killer album. This is worth a buy for Kylie fans. Get the deluxe edition for "Sleeping With The Enemy"... why that song is a bonus track is a bit puzzling to me as it's great.

Me. I am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
Me. I am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse
Offered by Side Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected... a good Mariah album, definitely worth a listen!, 30 May 2014
Writing this review as quite a few here are either by Mariah superfans or haters and I was a bit unsure whether to take the plunge after the last album (Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel) really disappointed me - although it has its admirers. So here's a word of mouth review from a casual Mariah fan.

I've just finished listening to the whole album and I'm glad I bought it. It's great - a clear return to her classic album formula, well produced mid-tempo pop/rnb/ballads. While the sound of "Me. I am Mariah... the Elusive Chanteuse"' is nothing new, I'm glad they didn't go chasing trends and stuck with what Mariah does best. She sounds in excellent voice throughout, the singing is well restrained (by her standards), classy songs with distinctive melodies. The album sounds a bit like late 90s/early 00s retro.

Standout songs for me so far are Cry, Beautiful, You Don't Know What To Do, Money and Meteorite... but to be fair there aren't any duds on the album. Songs are sequenced in a natural order too.

Of course, the album title is a bit bizarre and cover is UBER-photoshopped but I actually think as a package it's so tacky it's pretty cool, certainly a talking point. Unfortunately its cover is probably going to get more publicity than the music, which is a shame but not exactly unexpected. I don't think the extra tracks are worth buying the deluxe version so I went for the standard edition CD with autorip.

In short - if you like Mariah's voice, it's great - definitely one to add to the collection. If you can't stand her voice, you probably won't have your mind changed by "Me. I am Mariah... the Elusive Chanteuse" either.

Sony PlayStation Vita WiFi Console Tearaway Bundle with LittleBigPlanet & 16GB Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars PS Vita: an impressive bit of kit :), 2 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
2 years after it launched, I decided to buy a PS Vita as a Christmas present to myself... and I must say, I'm really glad I did. The unit itself is premium build quality and feels really comfortable in the hand. The OLED screen is far more vibrant and clear than I imagined it would be and games play really well with the usual Playstation control scheme.

I've heard lots of mumblings that there aren't many good games for the Vita, which just isn't true, there are plenty - So far I've bought: DOA5+, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter X Tekken, Uncharted, Need For Speed and Assassin's Creed... and still have plenty on my wish list. Physical games are pretty cheap for the device (around £15-20) and of course there is a whole load of content to download from the Playstation Store, including free game demos and add-ons. You can also download full games for free if you are a Playstation Plus member (around £40 for a year's membership).

I own a 3DSXL (which is also a great piece of kit)and the main difference is the Vita hardware feels and looks far more premium, however the 3DS has a far larger game library and some Nintendo exclusives. The Vita also seems geared more towards teenage/adult gamers than the 3DS.
The thing I find most impressive is the games don't feel scaled down to run on a portable, which is how I feel about most of the 3DS games I have.

The Vita feels and plays like a PS3 on the go... games like Dead Or Alive 5 Plus look incredible and run at 60fps. I can't understand why this machine hasn't been more successful, especially as you can use it as a second screen to remote play your PS4 games. This package with a 16GB memory card and Tearaway (a brilliant game) and LittleBigPlanet (pretty good too) for £150 is an unbeatable deal...

Sony have recently released a model aimed at casual gamers (PCH-2000) in Japan which is slightly lighter and thinner but has a cheaper build quality and an inferior LCD screen. My advice would be to get this model with an OLED screen before Sony phase it out.

Snow White 36-inch Fibre Optic Christmas Tree
Snow White 36-inch Fibre Optic Christmas Tree

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than we expected, 4 Dec. 2012
We were very pleased with this mini tree, for the price it looks much better than we expected. (and better than the photo)
It took less than 5 minutes to set up and it's lightweight and easy to move around.
My only criticism is that the fibre optic light sequence is a bit rapid.
Quick delivery from supplier.

Page: 1 | 2