Profile for A. Ives > Reviews

Content by A. Ives

A. Ives (Suffolk, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Small "N" Furry - Boredom Breakers Flying Saucer
Small "N" Furry - Boredom Breakers Flying Saucer
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Happy owner and happy degu., 1 Jun 2012
Length:: 0:50 Mins

Having read other reviews about this product both on here and a major pet store website I was a little apprehensive about this product and whether my degu would use it. Other people have said their pets were uninterested in the wheel or it took them some time to get used to it. However, my little degu Jeff (5 months) jumped on it within a few seconds of me putting it in his cage and figured it out straight away. He's still jogging away on it right now as I type this.

I chose this wheel because I read that it was better for your pet's spine as they run in a more natural position. Jeffrey seems to be so happy with the new addition to his cage. Unfortunately his little friend at the pet shop died and they couldn't re-introduce him to his old buddies so I had to adopt him by himself and although I give him as much love and attention as I can, I do worry about him getting bored on his own. I'm so glad I bought this wheel for him as it is keeping him very entertained!

It's quite large so if you don't have a very large cage you might prefer to put it in your pets play area when you get them out. It is really quiet compared to other wheels I've had for hamsters etc in the past.

Before this, I bought Jeff a wooden wheel but that was a complete waste as it is too heavy and stiff for him to work. Maybe when he's a bit older he will be able to do it, but I wish I'd gone for this flying saucer first instead!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2013 5:26 PM GMT

NICI - Seal Bean Bag Keyring
NICI - Seal Bean Bag Keyring

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cute., 18 Dec 2010
This review is from: NICI - Seal Bean Bag Keyring (Toy)
Initially I was sent the wrong item, but after contacting the seller, I very quickly received the correct keyring. This seal is very cute. It isn't too big as a keyring, and the bean bag adds a little bit of extra fun.

Small Dwarf Hamster Gerbil Ceramic Dust Bath House
Small Dwarf Hamster Gerbil Ceramic Dust Bath House

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job, 20 May 2010
I bought this bath house to use with the Critter Bath Dust. Previously I had put the dust on a small plate for her to roll around on which was effective but the bath house is alot better as now she can't make such a mess. On receiving it I thought it was a bit small but it seems to be the perfect size for her. Right now she's scratching at it on the outside, but because it's made of porcelain she can't chew it up and it can't damage her. She also loves digging inside this little house and of course rolling and flicking the dust over herself aswell. When I had the bath powder on a plate, she was very wary when rolling in it because it was so open I think, but this makes her feel a lot more secure and there's no hesitation at all.

Elephant Diaries : Series 1 [DVD] [2005]
Elephant Diaries : Series 1 [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Michaela Strachan
Offered by loftmedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving., 17 May 2010
Brilliant series following the fate of young orphan elephants in Africa. Loved every second, never a boring moment, and the end of each episode always left me anxious to find out what happened next. Definitely addictive, in fact, I have the second series ordered and on it's way. The team really do such great work and the way the keepers interact with the orphans to make them feel loved and cared for, even to the extent of sleeping with them at night, is very touching. Would recommend this series to any animal lover.

Lonely Planet Malay Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
Lonely Planet Malay Phrasebook (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase for travelling., 17 May 2010
I bought this for my two week holiday in Borneo. It was really useful, especially as it's small enough to fit in my pocket. I successfully used it to order myself a vegetarian meal at the marketplace. My boyfriend, who refused to use the phrase book, tried to order a chicken dish and ended up with squid and prawns, a very funny moment. We found that many people did speak English in Kota Kinabalu, even in the marketplaces, and if they, personally, didn't then they often had a younger family member around who did. However, I do believe it's better to make the effort to speak their language and this book is a great start for learning. Our guide did tell us that there are many many languages spoken in Borneo among the tribes and that, but I believe that this phrasebook is the official national language, so will definitely help you in the cities.

Orangutan Island [2008] [DVD]
Orangutan Island [2008] [DVD]
Offered by Not2day Media

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing... couldn't finish the series., 17 May 2010
Contrary to other reviews posted here, I didn't actually like this series very much at all. I have to admit that so far I have only watched the first episode, and am reluctant to watch anymore. I am a great lover of wildlife and completely adore orangutans, being lucky enough to have visited Borneo and witnessed them in the wild. I really am in awe of Lona and her work with the BOS but I don't think this series really focuses on that aspect as much as Orangutan Diaries 1 & 2 (which I loved), although this episode did show a very touching scene between Lona and Cha-Cha. I watched Orangutan diaries before buying this series and I really think that Orangutan Island doesn't compare at all. The American narrator is annoying, and in the American way, over-dramatises everything (e.g. 'Cha-cha must fit in with the other orangutans on the island, or else she will have to leave... NEVER TO RETURN' - a particularly annoying part for me). It all just seemed too patronising to me, and I felt that the orangutans were portrayed more as participants in a game show in a Big Brother kind of scenario, who's prize was to win a stay on the island than that the aim was actually to rehabilitate the animals. Another part that annoyed me was when the narrator said something in the first episode about how Lona was trying to form a society of Orangutans on the island that could live together (unlike in the wild where they are solitary animals) which had 'NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE' (another melodramatic phrase)... I was under the impression from Orangutan Diaries, which I have much more trust in the Orangutan Island, that her actual aim was to eventually rehabilitate these animals into the wild, and that the island was their stepping stone to this release... as I recall there wasn't a single mention of this in the first episode. I noticed that two of the orangutans (Cha-Cha and Dianne or something with a D)were described to be fighting and then all of a sudden turned to best friends in a very dramatised part. In fact, I believe that in the first scene where they were 'fighting', they were actually playing in a rough and tumble sort of way often seen in the Orangutan Diaries series, and that this is just another American 'staged for show' story. Overall, I was very disappointed with this purchase, and certainly will not be recommending it. The only redeeming feature was the orangutans themselves who are very special individuals, and this series does show the differences in character and personality well, but everything else was a disaster.

EDIT: I just noticed that another reviewer also compared this program to Big Brother, but in a positive light? Interesting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2011 12:33 PM GMT

Matilda/Madeline [DVD] [2003]
Matilda/Madeline [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Danny DeVito

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combo, 17 May 2010
I really love both these stories and it's a great idea to have a combo of both DVDs together. Madeline brought back memories from my childhood although it wasn't quite as good as I remember. Matilda is of course a classic story and in my opinion this DVD set would be a loved addition to any family home.

Sex Cheques
Sex Cheques
by Michael O'Mara Books UK

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a joke present., 17 May 2010
This review is from: Sex Cheques (Paperback)
Bought these as a stocking filler for my boyfriend a couple of Christmas' ago. Was a laugh to look through them and there were a few fun ideas but haven't got them out since then and probably won't ever use them.

Easy Vegan Cooking: Over 350 delicious recipes for every ocassion: Over 350 Delicious Recipes for Every Occasion
by Leah Leneman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 17 May 2010
Really glad I bought this book. When it says 'Easy Vegan Cooking' it really does mean easy from the look of the recipes. They all sound so delicious I don't know where to start! Can't wait to get cooking (especially the divine looking chocolate cake on the cover). 4 months ago I turned from a straight forward vegetarian to dairy free aswell and have been finding it very difficult because all my meals are very samey and it gets boring. At times I have been tempted to give it up but this book has inspired me and given me lots of ideas for experiments. It really proves that vegan cooking doesn't have to mean boring plates of the same vegetables and pulses but can be exotic and delicious quite easily!

Gorillas in the Mist
Gorillas in the Mist
by Dian Fossey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Gorillas in the Mist (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book. It's a fantastic recollection of Dian Fossey's time with the mountain gorillas of Rwanda. The way she writes completely drew me in to her story and I really empathised with her feelings in times of anger, sadness, happiness and relief. The sections of colour and black and white photos add to the text and make it easier to visualise what is going on. The appendix which contains scientific information including birth rate graphs, autopsy results and parasitology sections made it all the more interesting for me, as a biomedical sciences student. I would recommend this book to any primate lover or 'wannabe' animal researcher/conservationist. Dian Fossey's story here has really inspired me to follow my dreams into wildlife conservation.

Page: 1 | 2