Profile for "Sam & Dave" > Reviews

Content by "Sam & Dav...

"Sam & Dave" (Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK)

Tracing the History of Your House (Guide to Sources)
Tracing the History of Your House (Guide to Sources)
by Nick Barratt

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book full of facts ~ although rather dull presentation., 18 Mar. 2013
I had mislaid my previous purchase of a tracing your house history book (which I've since found) and saw this particular book advertised at a bargain price. I couldn't complain about value-for-money, as it didn't cost much more than the postage!

Although it sets out in a logical way, the various sources you can use to trace the history of your house, I found the layout and boring presentation rather dissapointing. I guess I was attracted by the author being Nick Barratt and assumed it would 'appear' more interesting than it did, with virtually no colour and little in the way of documents to illustrate this fascinating research. (I would personally recommend: Collins - Tracing Your Home's History by Anthony Adolph, which I would give a 5* BEST BUY to).

This book, which was described as being in VERY GOOD condition, arrived with coffee stains all over the front cover (which I was able to clean off) and the spine being damaged at one end, although the book once opened, looked absolutely brand new.

11w Osram Energy Saving Bulb DULUX S G23 2 Colour 830 Warm White (3000k)
11w Osram Energy Saving Bulb DULUX S G23 2 Colour 830 Warm White (3000k)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement tube, if a slightly yellowish light., 18 Mar. 2013
What can you say, it's a replacement flourescent tube, exactly as described. (The Colour Rendering Index (CRI) describes ability of light source to reproduce the colour of an item as it would be seen in natural light or sunlight. It is measured on a scale from 0 to 100, with 100 being the best colour reproduction). Although I knew the CRI was not going to produce as white a light as it was replacing, I was slightly dissapointed at how yellow a glow it gave. I might have preferred a whiter light for my office, but if you prefer a softer, more yellowish light, this one will be perfect for you. I was a little surprised that the supplier just sent it in an ordinary bubble wrap envelope (I thought it might have been double wrapped) but it was not damaged and arrived in perfect working order.

Autoglym Clean Wheels 100% EXTRA FREE 500ml + 500ml (1 Litre)
Autoglym Clean Wheels 100% EXTRA FREE 500ml + 500ml (1 Litre)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great At What It Does! ~ not sure about the environmentasl side effects?, 18 Feb. 2013
This cleaner contains Phosphoric Acid, but works wonders. It does not fail to clean any brake dust, tar or road dirt off my alloy wheels and brings them up like new every time. I understand that Autoglym also produce 'Custom Wheel Cleaner' (which is not the same product) and this may be kinder to the environment and you, but I have used "Clean Wheels" without any harm to my hands, or the grass the car stands on whilst I wash it!

I would thoroughly recommend "Clean Wheels", with the usual safety proviso of avoiding contact with your eyes and trying not to get too much of it on your hands ~ I usually wear rubber gloves and use a car brush when cleaning my wheels.

It took the supplier Xpress Co. two goes to send me the correct item, but we got there in the end!

Large Heavy Duty 16 Pocket Underbed Shoe Storage Bag for up to 16 Pairs - Robust Oxford Canvas Type Beige Material (600D) with Clear PVC Lid - 60 x 15 x 100cm - Shoes Under Bed Organiser - Shoe Storage Tidy Fabric Organizer Holder Box Closet Container by Brilliant Feet
Offered by Brilliant Feet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Price, 17 Oct. 2012
As soon as I received this item I decided it would be easier to pull from under the bed if I mounted it onto a piece of thin hardboard (SHINY SIDE DOWN). I secured the storage bag to the board with gaffer tape and hey presto it's easy to slide in and out from under the bed.

Pretty substantial nylon material, well stitched with clear plastic top which is zipped on two short sides and one long side, with two zippers. There is a grab handle on one end AND on the long side for pulling in and out.

Mine is being used for mens shoes, which just about fit in ~ a pair in each compartment, although one pair of largish boots I needed to spread over two compartments. Ladies shoes would be no problem. The compartments are fixed to the bottom of the storage bag by velcro strips, which you can move a bit if that helps.

Obviously if the whole structure was more rigid (thus 4* rather than 5*) with the sides supported by card or similar it would be better (although fixing hardboard to the bottom has helped) ~ but then it would cost a lot more money!

To me it seems like an excellent and cheap solution to a pile of shoes under the bed gathering dust!

Gear4 IceBox Edge Molded Protective Frame for iPhone 4 - Black
Gear4 IceBox Edge Molded Protective Frame for iPhone 4 - Black
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars All You Need To Protect Your iPhone4, 17 Oct. 2012
This is absolutely ideal. Protects the edge of your phone with a neat fitting rubbery bumper and whichever way up you have it facing, sits slightly off a level surface. I tried a protective film for the screen, but decided it was an absolute waste of time, because the glass won't scratch unless you REALLY damage it and if you do that much damage to it, a little sliver of plastic film won't help anyway.

The back of this Gear4 case is a piece of firm clear shiny plastic which allows you to show off that beautiful black back and Apple logo of your iPhone ~ OK the clear case back will get scratched a little, but then nothing in life is that perfect. If you can't live with those few scratches, can I suggest you don't take the phone out of the box you bought it in and don't take it out of the house!

All the controls are easily accessible and holes for sound on/off button and camera lens all line up well. I'm pretty finicky, but honestly the frame is absolutely fine

For me it was much better than my previous Gel case, (which kept sticking to the nice shiny black back of my phone and left air bubbles all over the place, making it look cheap) ~ so I would definitely recommend buying this Gear4 Icebox.

Gardman Mini Bird Bath
Gardman Mini Bird Bath

2.0 out of 5 stars Last winter's frost did for it!, 23 July 2012
Seemed excellent quality on arrival and was excellent for one winter. However, last winter saw it off, it cracked around the bottom and fell through. Either you need to empty it just at the time of year that birds need a supply of fresh water, or you can buy a proprietry 'Ice Guard' product, although I don't think the RSPB recommend using ANY chemicals in the water you give to birds. I put a terracotta saucer in what was left as a temporary measure ~ but I suppose I'll need a re-think on what to use in future!

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Caribbean
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Caribbean
by Linda Whitwam

5.0 out of 5 stars A WEIGHTY TOME, 7 Jan. 2012
The usual high standard of production from DK - Dorling Kindersley. This was bought as a present for friends travelling on a cruise to the Caribbean. Quality glossy paper, with excellent photographs and superb detailed maps. Potted histories, places to visit and recommendations of where to eat. Very exstensive, covering virtually all the important islands in the Caribbean. I titled this review a WEIGHTY tome, because that is exactly what it is. The friends who I bought this for, are cruising all the way to the Caribbean and back ~ therefore weight is not an issue. However, if you were flying to the Caribbean and are subject to the usual 20kgs maximum luggage allowance, you might well consider leaving it at home! You definitely will need to take it on a plane as hand luggage and thus preserve your hold luggage allowance ~ but it would be well worth the carry-on!

Cotswolds Mountain Biking: 20 Classic Rides
Cotswolds Mountain Biking: 20 Classic Rides
by Tom Fenton

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Guide with the Best Cotswold Rides, 8 Dec. 2011
Although I knew and had ridden most of the classic routes illustrated in this excellent guide, it is still a joy to own this comprehensive guide. Small and perfectly formed, this weighty little pocket book should be in your Camelbak whenever riding The Cotswolds. Top quality production includes glossy paper with excellent colour photographs and Ordnance Survey maps of all but the Leckhampton Hill and Forest of Dean recommendations in the Bonus section at the back of the book.

Each route is comprehensively explained with an altitude profile of the route, OS map references, approximate time taken, total distance, total ascent and local pubs and cafe's mentioned.

Purchased through the Amazon website, this excellent book represents great value-for-money. Useful telephone numbers for local mountain bike clubs and websites add to the completeness of the publication.

The only possible suggestion I have seen elsewhere for future improvement, would be to produce it in a ring-binder format that would allow each route and it's attendant map to be taken on a ride without taking the whole lot! ~ otherwise HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

AutoGlym Valeting Collection
AutoGlym Valeting Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect condition........Fast delivery!, 9 Jun. 2010
This review is from: AutoGlym Valeting Collection
Perfect condition........Fast delivery! This was a present for my daughter who has just purchased a new car. I've used AutoGlym products previously and always found them first class ~ top quality products.

Little Dreamer
Little Dreamer
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant, in a Radio 2 sort of way...........But Not Great., 22 May 2008
This review is from: Little Dreamer (Audio CD)
Like so many, I would imagine, I was sucked in by the hype. I have to admit I'd not heard Beth before BBC Radio and Television started to promote her wares. A great background album that you can hum along to without needing to listen very intently. Nothing basically wrong with a very pleasant album ~ but is that what an artist would really want to hear from reviewers of their debut album?

Amongst the hype, she is even compared to Aretha Franklin! and one reviewer states: "If you like Duffy, Adele, or Amy Winehouse, I would recommend this album - soulful vocals, restrained arrangements"

I'm afraid I disagree. OK the arrangements on Beth's album are restrained, but if you like the afforementioned artists ~ DEFINITELY BUY EACH OF THEIR ALBUMS (all of them are unique and stunning vocalists in their own style), but I'd consider giving 'Little Dreamer' a miss.