Profile for snakefang > Reviews

Grimm - Season 1 [DVD]
Grimm - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Giuntoli

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly enjoyable show, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Grimm - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed it. A bit bloody and gory in places, but very appealing. I have always liked Silas Weir Mitchell and he really makes the character of Monroe his own in this show. Good stories, some nice effects, Silas ripping a guy's arm off in a fight gives you the black humour... it was enjoyable. Was pleased it got picked up for a second season so I can get a future fix now that I have watched the first season in its entirety!

Alcatraz - The Complete Series [DVD] [2012]
Alcatraz - The Complete Series [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Sarah Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprise find, 2 Jan 2013
I bought Alcatraz on a recommendation from Amazon, and checked its imdb ranking and thought, 'Why not?'. I am a Kiwi like Sam Neill and I thought the premise sounded promising. Didn't even realise it was from makers of Lost at first.
I really enjoyed it - loved the historic bits, the prisoner haircuts, lots of great actors playing the returned prisoners from Alcatraz. It was cool to see actors turn up from roles in Lost and Bend it like Beckham and Deadwood and all manner of favourite shows. The lead detective was quite riveting to watch and Sam Neill shone as a baddie. I enjoyed it. Good action, good storylines, fun and I watched one after the other. It got quite addictive. A bit upsetting to find it only got thirteen episodes as calibre of writing and production standards were high and the concept had unlimited potential. After thirteen episodes I had to bid it farewell and start watching Grimm Season 1. I would recommend Alcatraz if you like things like Cold Case etc. :)

Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Series 4 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Series 4 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Dorn

4.0 out of 5 stars DS9, 18 Sep 2011
Great series, still very enjoyable. Picture quality seems a bit average by today's standards but characters and stories retain their original appeal. Enjoy!

Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Series 5 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek - Deep Space Nine - Series 5 (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Avery Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Tribbles...., 18 Sep 2011
The Deep Space Nine series is one of my favourites of the Star Trek franchise. Season 5 has some wonderful episodes including the hybrid Original Series/Deep Space Nine commemorative episode titled "Trials and Tribble-ations". It is seamlessly done and funny to boot. I do love the two guys sent from the temporal police to sort the anomaly out. And Dax in a mini skirt should appeal too.

The only downside is that the picture quality is quite video on this series of DVDs. No sprucing up for modern TV picture quality so the colours can be a bit... murky. Not High Definition quality by any stretch of the imagination. A good buy for fans of the series or anyone wanting to watch them all to see which ones they missed on TV the first few times around.

The characters and stories retain their appeal, and that is what made Deep Space Nine such a good series. Enjoy!

Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie Books)
Can I Play Too? (Elephant & Piggie Books)
by Mo Willems

5.0 out of 5 stars We look forward to every new one, 6 Feb 2011

Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie)
Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie)
by Mo Willems

5.0 out of 5 stars We love Mo Willems in our house!, 6 Feb 2011
My sons are huge fans of the Pigeon books and now we get to enjoy every Elephant & Piggie book. An exceptional kids' writer. Glad we found these. We have every book in the series now. This was our first one.

Maths 3-5 (Gold Stars)
Maths 3-5 (Gold Stars)

4.0 out of 5 stars High interest educational game for pre-schoolers, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Maths 3-5 (Gold Stars) (Paperback)
The Gold Stars series are high interest, colourful, with good variety and clear instructions for kids. These ones with the CD-ROM of computer games are particularly good as they are easily understood and usage is straightorward for kids. My three and a half year old only had to try it twice to have improved his mouse control out of sight and to be able to play unaided. Colourful and easy to follow. GAmes are varied and incorporates counting, number sequences, shapes, colours and so on. The only bad thing about these is that there are not MORE of them in the series - we have all four and I wish they would make more for my kids as they love them and play them over and over again.

Mystic Force Power Ranger - Green Mystic Light
Mystic Force Power Ranger - Green Mystic Light

3.0 out of 5 stars Five year old was happy, 4 Feb 2009
It looks pretty good - it has lots of articulation in its joints and a couple of accessories. My five year old Power Ranger mad son was thrilled with this as a christmas present.

In the Heart of the Sea: The Epic True Story that Inspired 'Moby Dick'
In the Heart of the Sea: The Epic True Story that Inspired 'Moby Dick'
by Nathaniel Philbrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 6 Nov 2002
...The best read I have had all year. I have now purchased a further 8 copies of this book for other people, and it will no doubt be given to a few more this Christmas. You'd expect this historical non fiction to be dry, and indeed the first chapter of Nantucket whaling ship history may well give you a hint that your initial suspicions were confirmed but once they set sail - what an adventure! The coincidences, the survival, the power of the writing and the storytelling where Philbrick manages to avoid creating fictional dialogue for his sailors and sticks to the facts while making some suppositions of his own. You could not put this book down once started. An incredible tale and all the more amazing for being true. The cover mentions Moby Dick's reliance on the Essex's story for its own inspiration but I found Philbrick's book far more compellingly told than the overblown and hysterically dramatic classic novel. If I had to choose between the two, I would read Philbrick's tale a second time and forget the woeful Moby Dick.